Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
He didn't create the deficit. It isn't his. He's dealing with it though, and yes, sometimes you do have to throw money at the problem. In his estimation, that is the solution. He's hardly the only person to feel this way. It's easy to take a hard line against what he's doing when you're gainfully employed or well-to-do, or both. If you were standing in the breadline, and there was potential for employment, even if it was in construction, you might feel a bit differently.

And before you complain about the extra taxes issue, I have to ask, have you forgotten the golden rule? When did you forget the concept of sharing?
I am glad you asked that- I share on my terms. not on some politicians terms. I would like to say many of my peers consider me very generous.
But I would like to control how I share. Is that so much to ask of my so called leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
The Dalai Lama, of course.
Or Je Kempo, of Bhutan, who rates his country on a happiness quotient.

Last edited by chielgirl; 05-11-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I am glad you asked that- I share on my terms. not on some politicians terms. I would like to say many of my peers consider me very generous.
But I would like to control how I share. Is that so much to ask of my so called leaders?
The simple solution is to take yourself out of society and live free and clear off the grid, but we both know that isn't really the issue. You don't want to opt out of what society gives you. You want that stuff. You want the protection of the military. You want the roads you drive on. You want welfare to exist on the off chance you may need it. You may even want the medical innovations whose discoveries the government's funding has subsidized. What you don't want is to pay for it. And that, pure and simple, is selfishness.

On the other hand, perhaps you really are as generous as you say. Perhaps you are so upright you don't need the directional hand of a government to tell you what needs to be funded and who needs to be helped. Perhaps you give rather generously to your local homeless shelters. Perhaps you drop more than your spare change into a homeless man's upturned hat. Perhaps you aid those who've recently lost employment due to this economic downturn. Perhaps you've given your own time or money of your own volition to build and service the highway that connects your home to your job. Perhaps your support benefits the arts and sciences. Perhaps you financially support your local police force and local school district. Perhaps you give more than a passing nod to those who haven't benefitted from our economic system as well as you have. Perhaps, but if so, you are indeed a rarity. The fact is, if government and its programs didn't need to exist, they wouldn't exist. People have a tendency to hoard, not to share. People only share if they must.

But, let's say that I'm wrong and that people are inherently good and giving like you claim yourself to be. Perhaps we would actually give our money voluntarily to actions we supported. Sadly, even our good intentions would leave us like a rudderless ship. There would be no direction. For all our good intentions, nothing would ever get done. We'd either support a limited number of charities based on our personal whims regardless of what actually needs funding or we'd have to deposit all charity into a single repository that would distribute our charity for us... like a government.

Without government, we have anarchy. Anarchy ain't as great as punk bands from the 80s will have you believe. I, for one, would rather live in a society with a few laws and taxes imposed on me that I disagree with than live in anarchy, constantly worried about how I'll defend what little I have from someone else who wants it. I loathed our last president, but I'd still have rather supported his administration than have no administration to support.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
The simple solution is to take yourself out of society and live free and clear off the grid, but we both know that isn't really the issue. You don't want to opt out of what society gives you. You want that stuff. You want the protection of the military. You want the roads you drive on. You want welfare to exist on the off chance you may need it. You may even want the medical innovations whose discoveries the government's funding has subsidized. What you don't want is to pay for it. And that, pure and simple, is selfishness.

On the other hand, perhaps you really are as generous as you say. Perhaps you are so upright you don't need the directional hand of a government to tell you what needs to be funded and who needs to be helped. Perhaps you give rather generously to your local homeless shelters. Perhaps you drop more than your spare change into a homeless man's upturned hat. Perhaps you aid those who've recently lost employment due to this economic downturn. Perhaps you've given your own time or money of your own volition to build and service the highway that connects your home to your job. Perhaps your support benefits the arts and sciences. Perhaps you financially support your local police force and local school district. Perhaps you give more than a passing nod to those who haven't benefitted from our economic system as well as you have. Perhaps, but if so, you are indeed a rarity. The fact is, if government and its programs didn't need to exist, they wouldn't exist. People have a tendency to hoard, not to share. People only share if they must.

But, let's say that I'm wrong and that people are inherently good and giving like you claim yourself to be. Perhaps we would actually give our money voluntarily to actions we supported. Sadly, even our good intentions would leave us like a rudderless ship. There would be no direction. For all our good intentions, nothing would ever get done. We'd either support a limited number of charities based on our personal whims regardless of what actually needs funding or we'd have to deposit all charity into a single repository that would distribute our charity for us... like a government.

Without government, we have anarchy. Anarchy ain't as great as punk bands from the 80s will have you believe. I, for one, would rather live in a society with a few laws and taxes imposed on me that I disagree with than live in anarchy, constantly worried about how I'll defend what little I have from someone else who wants it. I loathed our last president, but I'd still have rather supported his administration than have no administration to support.
But Government has overstepped its bounds in my opinion. People have become so entitled to government help the government is harnessing power from us.
I agree with what you are saying to a degree but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. You know our tax dollars do not go to all those good things you mentioned. This government has just handed Billions- no a Trillion dollars to wealthy Corporates. AIG paid their CEOs bonuses on my tax dollars. So when the Government is performing correctly my Tax dollars will go to enhancing the good parts of civilization. Recently that has not been the case and I am TICKED that I have to pay for it.
And as for the military- My taxes are supposed to pay for a military that protects and defends not Attacks without provocation. We have spent trillions in Iraq and lost many American Lives over a War that should not have happened. So again I am irate that my tax dollars are not going to the nice little programs you have mentioned but to a warped power grabbing agenda devised within the walls of what is supposed to be OUR federal government. But it is no longer our Federal government Texas, sorry to inform you of the news.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times
Mike Hock.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,521 times
I think Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, the president of Brazil, is a good leader.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Stimulus money being spent in the wrong locations

Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
But Government has overstepped its bounds in my opinion. People have become so entitled to government help the government is harnessing power from us.
I agree with what you are saying to a degree but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. You know our tax dollars do not go to all those good things you mentioned. This government has just handed Billions- no a Trillion dollars to wealthy Corporates. AIG paid their CEOs bonuses on my tax dollars. So when the Government is performing correctly my Tax dollars will go to enhancing the good parts of civilization. Recently that has not been the case and I am TICKED that I have to pay for it.
And as for the military- My taxes are supposed to pay for a military that protects and defends not Attacks without provocation. We have spent trillions in Iraq and lost many American Lives over a War that should not have happened. So again I am irate that my tax dollars are not going to the nice little programs you have mentioned but to a warped power grabbing agenda devised within the walls of what is supposed to be OUR federal government. But it is no longer our Federal government Texas, sorry to inform you of the news.
I think we're talking past each other at this point. I don't disagree that it's not good to have our money misspent, but I don't think it's sane to do anything radical about it either. We do what we've done since our country's inception when a politician grows too big for his britches. We throw the bum out. If that doesn't work, then we throw all the bums out. This is what we've been doing for the past two and a half years, throwing a whole lot of bums out. Now, we've got change. We've got somebody new. If this new guy doesn't live up to the promises he made, we'll throw him out too. We're jaded and bitter after Bush, and we're unlikely to get fooled a second time. That said, it's still insipid to compare Obama to Kim Jong Il. The man hasn't been in office long enough, and his actions haven't been allowed to even have consequences yet. You don't have any legitimate claim to disgruntlement yet. Give it another hundred days, or better yet, a couple years before you blame the guy for what's going wrong with this country. And, never blame the guy for having cheerleaders. Obamania is no more his Obama's fault than Beatlemania was John Lennon's fault. Some people obsess over crap like celebrity, which is all Obamania is, and they're unable to separate the man from the icon.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I think we're talking past each other at this point. I don't disagree that it's not good to have our money misspent, but I don't think it's sane to do anything radical about it either. We do what we've done since our country's inception when a politician grows too big for his britches. We throw the bum out. If that doesn't work, then we throw all the bums out. This is what we've been doing for the past two and a half years, throwing a whole lot of bums out. Now, we've got change. We've got somebody new. If this new guy doesn't live up to the promises he made, we'll throw him out too. We're jaded and bitter after Bush, and we're unlikely to get fooled a second time. That said, it's still insipid to compare Obama to Kim Jong Il. The man hasn't been in office long enough, and his actions haven't been allowed to even have consequences yet. You don't have any legitimate claim to disgruntlement yet. Give it another hundred days, or better yet, a couple years before you blame the guy for what's going wrong with this country. And, never blame the guy for having cheerleaders. Obamania is no more his Obama's fault than Beatlemania was John Lennon's fault. Some people obsess over crap like celebrity, which is all Obamania is, and they're unable to separate the man from the icon.
That is all well stated except I never compared obama to Kim, I just talked about the followers. Also all we do is keep going back and forth from R to D and D to R. I think we need a further house cleaning then just another 1994 or 2008. make sense?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM

492 posts, read 961,747 times
Today, probly Vlad Putin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies