U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM

85 posts, read 276,018 times

Advertisements

Its so easy to make lots of money once you get past saving pathetic amounts of money for years and years, to then what? Your so old now and so depressed after working your butt off for change that you don't even wana do anything.... Then the doctors tell you your depressed and should go on medication so they make even more money off your $15.00 a week saved. I just wana throw up when I see sooo many people living the good life, yet we can't even get past saving the $500.00 mark. America will one day fall or be taken over by a totally different race or type of people. White caucasian middle class and upper class america is sick has been dying ever since the late 80's imo. Ever since then prices shot up, wages went down or same, and now you have many 30 year olds now a days lost and hopeless. I'd rather die that work for another boss for $10-12.00 an hr. Why do it? Its better off going on welfare, for if your not you can't afford to eat while having to afford a place to live plus car insurance to get to work. Thats $2000 a month!!!!! JUST THE APT AND CAR INSURANCE!! FOrget Gas, and food, oh wait, mabye I can go out one time during the month and have fun....... nah... were American robots... hopefully the 360 billionaires can take care of this country cause the middle and lower working classes of america are dying fast....... We should all just stop working period and put this country in a freeze...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,502,704 times
The problem is the ideal versus the reality. The ideal is that all Americans deserve to live the American dream, of being so much better then the generation before, and that it's set to the static 1950's ideal of post war America.

Well, reality check. The American dream changes as time goes on, it changes as ideas change, and it changes based on what is possible at the time. It can't be that static idea forever. As resources have become scarce as populations increase all of society can't simply consume materials and waste for the thrill of it like the wealthier people many wish they were.

Secondly, you can't match such high growth rates forever. The baby boomers rode a wave of innovation and growth unheard of (in population and wealth) in times before. Kids of boomers now have things unheard of due to this, but high growth rates are unsustainable as the economy grow. There is no way I could have ever started out at the same wealth level as my parents, who have 35 years of additional education, promotions, savings and investing. The only way to try, as many idiots found out the hard way, is to overdose on debt. So the ideal of constant extreme wealth growth is one thing that needs to change.

The last thing is that the American Dream is an ideal, not a right. Sorry kids, not everyone gets to grow up to be an astronaut...people are created equal with equal promise at the beginning, but not equal ability or end results. Those who longed for the dream eventually started thinking that the dream was to be an American lifestyle, which is only going to cause hardship. To placate people it started by taxes, policies, and political pressure to get those who didn't have the resources into places where they can live it as well.

It would be better to say that the American Dream is defined by the fullest set of self idealization rather then consumption of buying bigger and better stuff to show off to the neighbors. Then being nervous that they are consumed with debt and always pushing ot make more and buy more.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,122,629 times
Default The failure of the American dream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
If everyone wants a safe, affordable place, with good schools to raise a family, why don't we have that?
Spoiler

If markets respond to demand, why aren't we building what people want? I guess there are more people that want mcmansions and a long commute than people that don't???

Are we just overcrowded?
Are the majority of municipalities moderately corrupt?
Am I just imagining all of this?

We must be voting for all of this with our cash because we just keep getting more of it. When I was in college "new urbanism" was left-wing fringe... now it seems like everyone is talking about "the way things used to be" and living in appropriately scaled towns.

Author James Howard Kunstler calls suburbia the greatest misallocation of resources in the history of mankind. He may be right. I dunno.

I am interested to hear everyone else's opinion (I only ask that this thread remain an open-minded discussion).

Here's mine: maybe America is an experiment destined to fail. Everyone came here looking for freedom of some kind. Maybe there are no longer enough "resources" to provide this "freedom" for everyone.

Are we the first to reach the "industrialized carrying capacity?"

Like Grass Is Greener says, 'It's a traditional matter of supply and demand.'

The American dream is to be pursued and achieved. No one is going to bring it to you. You may just need to build somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies