Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Apparently government workers are fanning out across the country now, in preparation for the coming 2010 census. But they're not knocking on doors and asking how many people live there. They are simply stepping up to your door, pressing a few buttons on a handheld device to capture the latitude and longitude, and walking away.

No, I'm not joking. How many here have seen them?

This is quite aside from wondering if they have any Constitutional authority to collect this data in the first place.

My question is, for what do they need this data?

Any guesses? I admit I'm puzzled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
They have come to my house.

I'm perplexed as to why they need the data, though I think it's to map every home on some type of GPS system.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
How will they know where to send the smart bombs?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The stated reason, and each jurisdiction (state, county, town, township, etc.) got information from the Census Department last summer, is to physically verify the address-make sure a house is there, that it's not a garage and so on.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The stated reason, and each jurisdiction (state, county, town, township, etc.) got information from the Census Department last summer, is to physically verify the address-make sure a house is there, that it's not a garage and so on.
And if they find a guy is living in a garage or tool shed without a house on the property, they do what?

Their job is to count the people living at the address. Doesn't matter if it's a house, a garage, a pup tent, or an underground bomb shelter.

Once again, what do they need GPS coordinates for?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Little-Acorn

Quote:
"Apparently government workers are fanning out across the country now, in preparation for the coming 2010 census. But they're not knocking on doors and asking how many people live there. They are simply stepping up to your door, pressing a few buttons on a handheld device to capture the latitude and longitude, and walking away."

Any guesses? I admit I'm puzzled.

Once again, what do they need GPS coordinates for?
As I wrote above, the Census Bureau will be giving each census taker a GPS to get them to where they need to go.

NaviGadget -- GPS Navigation Systems, GPS Tracking Devices, GPS Phones, Receivers, Reviews, and Hacks

Quote:
This is quite aside from wondering if they have any Constitutional authority to collect this data in the first place.
Surely you jest?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
How is that different from collecting your street address?

The year before the census, they have always gone around with the data they had from various sources, and verified the accuracy of it. So next year, the census takers will have accurate and up-to-date maps of exactly where occupied residences are, so the census can be conducted accurately.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How is that different from collecting your street address?
Street addresses have always served to verify that the census taker hasn't inadvertently counted the same person twice. And still suffices to this day.

What do they need to write down your GPS coordinates for?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Street addresses have always served to verify that the census taker hasn't inadvertently counted the same person twice. And still suffices to this day.

What do they need to write down your GPS coordinates for?
I have answered your question twice. Apparently you really don't care about the answer.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
To make it easier for the census enumerators, with precisely accurate maps, to know exactly where every occupied dwelling it. To save you taxpayers money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies