Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisha04 View Post
I was told by a few people that there are talks of making April Confederacy month or some nonsense like that! I'm guessing that the government is getting complaints from some big "redneck" groups about giving the "south" it's own month of celebration for the wonderful things that it did in history!
Nonsense? I'm insulted. I don't think it's nonsense anymore than black history month. I'm all for it. I pray is does come to pass.

Quote:
This as I'm sure some of you think is RIDICULOUS, it's bad enough that the south still thinks that it won the civil war, but doing this is only going to make things worse!
Your being Illogical. How will it make things worse? Things are already bad. So you don't like the idea, that's your right. I have the right to agree with it, so there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
YapCity, you are correct. Many people in the South lost family members in the War, and we should be able to honor and remember them, without being attacked for it. Politics are a separate issue, when it comes to remembering our dead. Or, at least they should be.

As to the "crazies with stars-n-bars", I have to say you have your flags wrong. Which is not unusual; many people mix them up, because they have been exposed only the Confederate Battle flag. The Star and Bars actually refers to the First National flag. This was the first official flag of the Confederacy, flown March 5, 1861 to May 26, 1863. It had seven stars, in a circle, on a field of blue, in the top corner, which represented the original states of the Confederacy. There were two broad stripes of red, top and bottom, with a broad white stripe in between. It was changed twice, namely because of confusion on the battlefield, which explains the appearance of the Battle Flag, itself, such as most people are familiar with, which had the St. Andrew's Cross incorporated into it.

As an aside, I have no problem with the Confederate Battle Flag. In fact, I have one, and I don't apologize for it. Namely, because I'm not "waving, shouting racial slurs", which I have no patience for. Frankly, I'm tired of folks misusing the Flag, for their political views, to support racism. That was not it's original intention. It was simply a battle flag, used by the men on the battle field. Nothing more, nothing less. It's other people, such as those in the KKK, who have misused and misrepresented it. By the way, did you know, that in the 1920's, the KKK used the United States Flag, in their marches? Which merely points to the fact that "crazies" will use anything that they think will further their cause, regardless of the original intent.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
I live in Virginia and we always have something going on. I thought May was, but they moved it back to April.

Every time on Lee's birthday, they have Confederate soldiers marching around the Lee and Jackson Statues in Richmond on Monument Ave.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
We should have one in South Carolina, Mississippi and Texas

Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM

295 posts, read 320,350 times
Default Confederate holidays

quote=Steve-o;530527]I havent heard such rumors, and thankfully so. Last thing this country needs is to have a month set aside to celebrate the fools who wanted to break this country apart.[/quote]

Actually Steve O, the south has had Confederate Memorial Day, Robert E. Lees birthday and Jefferson Davis' Birthday as holidays for years, so you my boy do not know much about the south!

Think about this, what if the Confederate army won, we would truly be one United Nation, THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA, not thirteen stars but FIFTY STARS in the BAR instead of THIRTEEN!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisha04 View Post
OK so this is something that i have heard more than a few times. I was told by a few people that there are talks of making April Confederacy month or some nonsense like that! I'm guessing that the government is getting complaints from some big "redneck" groups about giving the "south" it's own month of celebration for the wonderful things that it did in history!

This as I'm sure some of you think is RIDICULOUS, it's bad enough that the south still thinks that it won the civil war, but doing this is only going to make things worse!

If anyone else has heard anything about this let me know.
I think this might be the biggest Faux pas since Hilary running for president!
I doubt citizens in the south care for that. I have lived in the South, and for the most part, people are nice folks. Yeah, you have your ex-clan members here and there..but for the MOST part, Southerners are nice people. I think they would say that this is a joke.

We should have Yankee Pride Month too. LOL...funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies