Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,358 times

Advertisements

If a Southerner, were gonna make a racist remark, it would be very blunt. We happen to be very blunt people. We are all NOT racist, that is just something that is an automatic stereotype because of the Civil War. I live in Texas and I go to one of the biggest school in the state, and we really do not have a racism problem. But, on another hand, it has to do with how you were raised and where you are in the South. But I'm pretty sure most of our mama's raised us right, and we know to respect every person we come in contact with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 AM

54 posts, read 108,780 times
Thats exactly right...

Its a cultural difference, not a pre-disposition to racism.

People in the south are simply different. We talk slower and more deliberately. We are more out spoken and, sorry but more open and honest with our words. We arent afraid to let you know how we feel. We are, I think as a whole, less afraid of, or more pre dispositioned to confrontation.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For all the complex legal arguments over today’s blockbuster Voting Rights Act case, the core issue is a pretty simple one: How long does the South have to pay for the sins of its shameful past?

The landmark 1965 legislation passed Congress during one of the darkest chapters in our nation's history.

Are Southerners More Racist than Northerners? - Legalities

Southerners are in-your-face. Northerners disguise it better.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I'm white and I used to travel quite a bit with a black friend of mine and we got some dirty looks in Boston and cabs driving away in NYC. So it's everywhere.

Yes, in the South you used to hear the "N" word quite a bit - but that was a long time ago. Now if some oldster uses it a lot of just laugh because it's so absurd and we just assume the person is old and losing their mind or living in the past...I'm sure a northerner would gasp and be outraged at the situation (maybe feigning it a little??) I think we are more honest about race relations in the south and I feel perfectly comfortable discussing such things with black friends.

In fact a close black friend of mine just died from a heart attack. He had a new Mercedes that he was driving - when I last saw him he picked me up in the car to go on a short trip - after some time he said, "this car is really not all that. Sometimes I just enjoy someone looking at me and thinking 'how did that ni@@er get that Mercedes?'". We both laughed...

Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
The most racist area I've lived near was Philly. Pittsburgh was next. I'm from New Jersey and I have seen MUCH more racism up north than in the south. I currently live in Charlotte and haven't seen much racism at all. Not saying that it doesn't exist, but so far, I believe the North is much more racist.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM

484 posts, read 1,216,840 times
It's a matter of where you're from and what you're used. I'm from Michigan and have friends from the south going to school up here. They claim to see a lot more racism up here but most of my friends who grew up here don't see it. Racism is everywhere and it's just a matter of what your tolerance is and how you were raised to deal with things.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
thinking--I am a Southerner--less racist than 9?percent of the population --I have test scores to verify this--not online test scores--'real' official test scores--so, No, Southerners are not more racist than Northerners.

Or--some of my relatives, also Southerners would score high if they responded to questions on such a test based on what they frequently 'Say'--they wouldn't take such tests--so there is no way to verify this--so then Yes, Southerners are More Racist.

back and forth

are those of any specific ethnicity more this or that than other ethnicities---and why--billions of dollars spent on such senseless issues. I would have to say the islanders of the South Pacific are way ahead on being free from bias--living on a remote island in the Pacific has its advantages.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,595 times
I would say that in the south the young black people are very racist against white people and it shows in their actions and the young southern white people aren't racist at all or are just reacting to it. The older white people are sometimes racsit though.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
Racism exist in the whole country. No lines drawn! Your neighbor the one that makes Tea, might be spitting in your cup.

Just recently AZ wanted to racial profile only Spanish people. That's out West!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
The most racist area I've lived near was Philly. Pittsburgh was next. I'm from New Jersey and I have seen MUCH more racism up north than in the south. I currently live in Charlotte and haven't seen much racism at all. Not saying that it doesn't exist, but so far, I believe the North is much more racist.
Long Island, New York is definitely a contender for the title of "most racist region in the USA." How could you forget us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies