Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,889,713 times

Advertisements

A big part of the problem? The right to an education has morphed into the right to disrupt everyone else's education. Lots of disruption going on in those communities that don't place a high value on education and the kids have no sense of why they're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,940,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Why would the voucher system, in Detroit of all places, improve absolutely anything?
I think that with a voucher, allowing free use for one to choose a school, you create demand on the quality which a school provides. If you have a few schools which everyone wants to enroll, the suck schools can in a free market be replaced by substitute schools.

We have charter schools, catholic schools, muslim jews, public home & old schools. Military, art and science schools. Sports and farming too. Schools cost money. Give them a voucher for education and let their parents decide. Competition will put crap educators out of business. That is how it will improve things.

But I will concede this. I once helped clean up a park in NE philly only to have someone crap in a five gallon bucket and spill it, not to mention all the trash on the ground next day and the trash can being almost empty. It's engrained, there's no easy solution.

Last edited by mossomo; 05-12-2009 at 01:42 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,294,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Cleveland now has a 34.4% graduation rate from its high schools. The 50 biggest cities in the USA have a 53% graduation rate.

That is pathetic. Do these people do any type of parenting towards their children? How can they fail at something so basic as graduating high school? you are going nowhere if you dont graduate.

Its not a problem with the schools, its a problem with the parents and the teenagers in high school themselves. They need to stop blaming others and fix the problem
You are correct. The problem is not with the schools but with the students. They do need to stop blaming everything other than what is actually to blame and there is not much that can be done to fix the problem.

The minimum IQ required to learn and comprehend high school material is about 90 - 95. Blacks represent most students in inner city schools and Blacks have an average IQ of 85. More then half of the Black population in this country do not have the intellectual capacity to comprehend the high school curriculum. Many of the Blacks who do 'graduate' perform academically at an eighth grade level.

I'm sorry if this is harsh but its true. We should probably take race out of the equation and just divide people by their intellectual capacity. If we want to do what is best for all people at the lower end of the 'skills' scale we should stop demanding that they graduate from high school. We should set up a different kind of school that concentrates on basic life skills and some trades training. For these people life is an uphill battle. Craming them through high school for which they are ill equiped for is counter productive.

Anyone with an IQ of less than 90 cannot be expected to graduate from high school with any comprehension of the material.

- Reel

Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,609,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
The minimum IQ required to learn and comprehend high school material is about 90 - 95. Blacks represent most students in inner city schools and Blacks have an average IQ of 85. More then half of the Black population in this country do not have the intellectual capacity to comprehend the high school curriculum. Many of the Blacks who do 'graduate' perform academically at an eighth grade level.
You always have something interesting to say, Reel. I appreciate your posts. What's your source on the IQ numbers?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,294,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You always have something interesting to say, Reel. I appreciate your posts. What's your source on the IQ numbers?
Thank you. There are too many sources to list. You can google things such as 'black white skills gap' without the quotes to find out more than you would care to know. Below are a couple of links:

[SIZE=3]http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson...skillsgaps.pdf[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
The Black-White Test Score Gap: Why It Persists and What Can Be Done - Brookings Institution

I don't think anyone disputes that there is a gap that is substantial and persistent. People do debate the causes. I find it interesting to watch people dance around the question of intelligence without ever landing on it. Its a beautiful example of Occam's Razor. Its the only answer that explains everything from the New Haven Firefighters promotion case to inner city graduation rates, to inner city crime rates, to black illegitimacy and HIV/STD problems, to income gaps, etc.

I don't think anyone disputes the IQ gap either but even with IQ they will dance around the intelligence issue. The test must be bad. Its a cultural thing, etc.

- Reel

Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 AM

12,910 posts, read 13,591,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You are correct. The problem is not with the schools but with the students. They do need to stop blaming everything other than what is actually to blame and there is not much that can be done to fix the problem.

I'm sorry if this is harsh but its true. We should probably take race out of the equation and just divide people by their intellectual capacity. If we want to do what is best for all people at the lower end of the 'skills' scale we should stop demanding that they graduate from high school. We should set up a different kind of school that concentrates on basic life skills and some trades training. For these people life is an uphill battle. Craming them through high school for which they are ill equiped for is counter productive.

Anyone with an IQ of less than 90 cannot be expected to graduate from high school with any comprehension of the material.

- Reel
Is that what they teach you guys in the training camps?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 AM

18,061 posts, read 25,148,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Cleveland now has a 34.4% graduation rate from its high schools. The 50 biggest cities in the USA have a 53% graduation rate.
I bet you anything that there's a clear relation between graduation rate from a high school and the teacher's salary.
I wonder how much more the teachers in Cleveland make than a manager in McDonalds.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:22 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,505,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I would guess inner city school kids have way bigger problems than whether they're going to Ace their Algebra test on Wednesday. I'd also guess that most of the parents are non-existent due to a series of societal reasons.

No kidding. They have to find the money somewhere for the new air force ones. So they end up slinging or robbing.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:28 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,707,031 times
Schools are a function of the communities they serve. If said community is largely composed of shattered households who do not value education, the results are obvious.

Why there is still a debate about this is beyond me. Its not genetics, race, bad facilities or lack of money. Its bad culture, particularly a culture of bad parenting characterized by instability.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 AM

12,910 posts, read 13,591,829 times
What these figures tell me is that if you take 100 African American Kids and put them in the worst inner city educational scenario; Poverty, Crime, drugs, underfunded schools and no parental supports. Over half of them will graduate and some with honors wow! That’s why I hear Superman theme Music when I see successful Blacks like Condi Rice, Barack and Colin Powell. I don't think all white suburban schools are capable of challenging Kids to this degree. I think if over 50% of African American Kids have this super capacity to be educated and succeed, let’s leave well enough alone.

(You see how statistics can be interpreted to back up any ideology)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies