Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
In some countries the healthcare workers are government employees. It is not a stretch to say that we may wind up with this kind of system.

And no insurance companies do not make healthcare decisions for us, they are in competition with other insurance companies. If you don't like your plan change to another plan. """

Yes, A L L INSURANCE companies have special departments and people whose specific job is to find any way they can to deny claims...ANY WAY. That makes sense since they are FOR PROFIT and the bottom line is ALL that counts.
Why would changing insurance plans change THAT?? DUH, it doesn't.

""""Who would you like to make decisions a faceless bureaucrat?
No, bureaucrats would NOT make the decisions( LIKE AT THE PRIVATE INSURANCE COMPANIES), that is just a scare tactic used by those who want to see Americans gouged by health care/insurance companies.

NOW. for all of you have have bought the "government will make our medical decisions" bull from the private insurance companies propaganda....

Please post actual PROOF ....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,423,866 times
Quote:
And no insurance companies do not make healthcare decisions for us, they are in competition with other insurance companies. If you don't like your plan change to another plan. Who would you like to make decisions a faceless bureaucrat?
Huh? Insurance companies certainly do make decisions about health care. Or at least what health care they are going to pay for. If they say they won't pay for a certain test, a certain drug, a certain treatment, more than a certain number of days in the hospital, you won't get it unless you are prepared to pay for it yourself. All insurance companies do that.

And how cavalier of you to suggest that people change plans. Most people are insured through their employers and they have little if any control over what plans they have. Admittedly, many larger employers offer a choice of plans, but even if you could chose from a list of plans, you're going to run into the same type of control of treatment whichever plan you choose.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, bureaucrats would NOT make the decisions( LIKE AT THE PRIVATE INSURANCE COMPANIES), that is just a scare tactic used by those who want to see Americans gouged by health care/insurance companies.

NOW. for all of you have have bought the "government will make our medical decisions" bull from the private insurance companies propaganda....

Please post actual PROOF ....................

Yes that special office is run by the trilateral commission and Dr.
Dooferschmidt!

Who ever pays the bills calls the tunes. If the government is paying the bill they will decide on the coverage, just like the hated insurance companies.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Huh? Insurance companies certainly do make decisions about health care. Or at least what health care they are going to pay for. If they say they won't pay for a certain test, a certain drug, a certain treatment, more than a certain number of days in the hospital, you won't get it unless you are prepared to pay for it yourself. All insurance companies do that.

And how cavalier of you to suggest that people change plans. Most people are insured through their employers and they have little if any control over what plans they have. Admittedly, many larger employers offer a choice of plans, but even if you could chose from a list of plans, you're going to run into the same type of control of treatment whichever plan you choose.
I have yet to work for a company that has only one plan. Denial of service will occur with any system, government or private. Let me tell you if we paid for at least some of our own healthcare we would be a lot more cautious about how we consume resources. Since we don't the people who do pay (government, insurance companies) have to monitor therapy.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,423,866 times
Quote:
I have yet to work for a company that has only one plan.
Good for you. Consider yourself lucky. You have been employed by companies that not only offer insurance but offer you a choice of insurance. So screw the rest of us, eh? You got yours and it works for you. That's what it's all about. You just be sure you keep that job and don't let the company fold.

Quote:
Denial of service will occur with any system, government or private. Let me tell you if we paid for at least some of our own healthcare we would be a lot more cautious about how we consume resources. Since we don't the people who do pay (government, insurance companies) have to monitor therapy.
It would seem you are acknowledging that insurance companies do make "health care decisions for us" after all. You just like the euphemism "monitor therapy" better.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Never a word about ways to keep the cost down. Or the reality of single payer care.
Right now I have a complicated mix of medical coverage. One portion mirrors the Canadian way, the other private care. At the government run clinic the clients share stories of dissatisfaction while they wait sometimes hours past their appointment time. Harsh words and yelling are common. At the private pay clinic I have filled out 'how can we improve our service' forms three times in the last year. A receptionist made an error that caused me a half hour wait. When I got home I was called by staff that were very concerned about the mix up and promised to look into it and call me back. They did.
Never a word about rationed care. Or about the equation thats used (years of life expected vs
cost of treatment) that decides if you will live or die. Or the much higher rate of death with government care. Or the crippling tax rate it requires. I'm sure that Mexico will be included for humanitarian reasons. We might as well.
On the bright side if this does happen the American people will know who to blame.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
I wonder how those who back private for profit health insurance would feel if they went to the grocery store. They buy milk, bread and an avaocado. AFTER paying for it they encounter a group of people at the end of the checkout who go into a discussion of whether or not the items can leave the store.

They deny the buyer the right to consume their products because of the avocado clause...it's in the fine, fine, fine print.......

nope, you already HAVE an avocado at home...you can leave but without your PURCHASE....sorry, but the store has that right because they need to make more money...and not allowing the buyers to take their groceries home AFTER PAYING FOR THEM is a SUPER way to do it!!!

Let's all hope more companies adopt this great way to make more profits!!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
I love it when people on here say that they do not want a Govt. run health scheme as it will take their freedom of choice away. What a crock! By having the present system your choices are decided by your Insurance company. The amount of care you receive is determined by how much you pay in premiums etc. Whether you are allowed a operation is decided on financial criteria and not Health criteria. A UHC gives you far more choice and you can pick whatever hospital or consultant you want... Even if he/she is not in your area. Your diagnosis is decided on medical grounds and not on how much the Doctor can get out of you with unnecessary procedures that bring in more Bucks.....this happens every day.
The elitist's who have good cover do NOT want a UHC for obvious reasons.
I flew back to London yesterday and i will go see my Doctor for a full check up/blood tests etc. and i won't be taking my cheque book.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,337,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I love it when people on here say that they do not want a Govt. run health scheme as it will take their freedom of choice away. What a crock! By having the present system your choices are decided by your Insurance company. The amount of care you receive is determined by how much you pay in premiums etc. Whether you are allowed a operation is decided on financial criteria and not Health criteria. A UHC gives you far more choice and you can pick whatever hospital or consultant you want... Even if he/she is not in your area. Your diagnosis is decided on medical grounds and not on how much the Doctor can get out of you with unnecessary procedures that bring in more Bucks.....this happens every day.
The elitist's who have good cover do NOT want a UHC for obvious reasons.
I flew back to London yesterday and i will go see my Doctor for a full check up/blood tests etc. and i won't be taking my cheque book.
It's just right wing scare tactics. They used them to scare the US into a war based on lies. They used them to develop the TARP fund so Bush could start the bailouts. They are using lies and scare tactics on the health care issue.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It's just right wing scare tactics. They used them to scare the US into a war based on lies. They used them to develop the TARP fund so Bush could start the bailouts. They are using lies and scare tactics on the health care issue.
You are sooooooooooo right. It also seems to be the wealthy (who can afford great cover) or elitist elderly ( again who can afford great cover) who come out with the biggest B/S on here. They have absolutely NO experience of a UHC system...yet spout rubbish about how bad it is.
The American people are now getting tired of being blackmailed by these small minded people and CEO's who just want your money and don't give a damn about your wellbeing.
A UHC is on its way in America. These things always start with small compromises then snowball into a full UHC system.
I just laugh when i see the constitution, Law and cost brought into this argument. Amendments to the USA Constitution are easier than changes to the UK constitution but the UK has now a NHS to be proud of.
American's deserve a first class health service for all not just for the smug few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies