Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Smokers on average die earlier. They collect less social security and other benefits. So smokers save us money.

I know a great way to solve the "health care expenses" problem. Make people pay for their own health care. In the case of smoking, have zero taxes on tobacco. But if a smoker (or anyone for that matter) get's sick they pay all medical expenses, no insurance, tough luck. Get rid of medicaid. Taxpayers should only pay for their healthcare and their families, they should never pay for people they don't know.
Have htem all pay for their own healthcare..

Well... that would be all well and good if healthcare costs were actually within what a person could actually pay and afford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Do you really need a link to know that smoking is not healthy behavior?
Um, no. But when someone makes a statement like:

Quote:
Smokers on average die earlier. They collect less social security and other benefits. So smokers save us money.
...which conflicts with info from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention saying that cigarette smoking results in an estimated 443,000 premature deaths each year and costs the economy $193 billion in health care expenses and lost time from work. I'm wondering what his/her source is that backs up their conflicting statement.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
$50 a month? Wow! My heart pumps Kool-Aid.

On the other hand, millions of people have lost much, much more - home and stock values - thanks to the Republicans.
Your giving the bird to poor people. $50 dollars a month can literally kill your budget, especially if your unemployed. If its not cigarettes it's something else like unhealthy food. Poor people can't afford healthy food. They eat mac & cheese and raman.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Where can we verify this information?
He's just talking out of his hat. Smokers may die earlier but they suck the life out of health care before they go.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
'Hmmm.... I don't make 6 figuire income yet Democrats are directly responsible for making this middleclass boy (me) $50 a month poorer due to their tobacco tax and now I hear they are passing another tobacco tax?

And please don't tell me "just don't smoke"......no it is Democrats who took $50 a month out of my lifestyle.And what is this I hear about them wanting to pass a "carbon" tax that would make everybodies power bill go up?

Seems to me rich people won't be effected by their taxes though huh?,Rich people don't care if they have to pay more for power or cigarettes.......
Wait till the house of cards called SCHIPS falls apart because no one can afford to smoke anymore. I bet the tobacco tax transcends tobacco.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Your giving the bird to poor people. $50 dollars a month can literally kill your budget, especially if your unemployed. If its not cigarettes it's something else like unhealthy food. Poor people can't afford healthy food. They eat mac & cheese and raman.
Yet they can afford to smoke?
Talk about skewed priorities.

Food, smoke, food, smoke?
Hmmm, I think I'll smoke and let my kids go hungry.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
Mind blowing numbers, aren't they? If this were a non smoking nation, it would be easy to have Universal Health Care.
Although I do support some kind if UHC I'm not sure if smokers are the only offenders. I mean, what do we do about people who are diabetic but refuse to follow a proper diet? I know a woman who is insulin dependent but still sneaks a candy bar or 2. She tells me 'I've got to enjoy my life once in a while." What do we tell those people with liver problems who continue to drink? There are plenty of those around. How about obese people who wolf down double cheeseburgers with mayonnaise and fries soaked in butter? Should we refuse to treat them when they have heart attacks or kidney failure?

I agree that the costs to care for smokers are mind boggling, but maybe the only way to have successful health care reform is to force people to lead healthier lifestyles.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Wait until peop[le really see the fees and luxury taxes its going to take to pay for all these stimulus and programs. Nothing is free and even the rich can't pay for it all.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
im thinking you forgot to add in the $4.00 gas under W....

Old 05-14-2009, 05:39 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although I do support some kind if UHC I'm not sure if smokers are the only offenders. I mean, what do we do about people who are diabetic but refuse to follow a proper diet? I know a woman who is insulin dependent but still sneaks a candy bar or 2. She tells me 'I've got to enjoy my life once in a while." What do we tell those people with liver problems who continue to drink? There are plenty of those around. How about obese people who wolf down double cheeseburgers with mayonnaise and fries soaked in butter? Should we refuse to treat them when they have heart attacks or kidney failure?

I agree that the costs to care for smokers are mind boggling, but maybe the only way to have successful health care reform is to force people to lead healthier lifestyles.

JustNancy.. regarding diabetics.. I do want to point something out.

Depending on how you manage your diabetes you do NOT have to follow a strict "no sugar" diet. For example, I'm a Juvenile Diabetic who manages my disease with an insulin pump and short acting Humolog insulin. I can eat just about whatever I want as long as I keep track of the carbs I'm eating and than dose myself appropriately. I eat far less candy and sweets than your average person, but occassinoally I do AND can indulge without endangering my health.

Just wanted to clear that up. It's a common misperception.. one that my husband constantly fights me on everytime I put something he thinks I shouldn't have in my mouth.. he doesn't get the whole carb counting / dosing thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies