Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 AM

173 posts, read 617,360 times

Advertisements

It IS a major problem and sadly, there is no rehabilitation for these people.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 04-07-2007 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: orphaned after deletion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
See how worked up everyone is over this topic? That's why the "news" exaggerates it--because "crimes against children" stories capture ratings. Follow the money people. There's no more crime against children here than anywhere else.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
There's no more crime against children here than anywhere else.
I totally agree. Just go to that website and put in zips for other metro areas. It's just bad anywhere....

Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 AM

144 posts, read 686,960 times
You ask why everyday they are in the news? Look at the paronoia this thread has started, people talking about killing other people, thats excactly why it in the news everday. This is nothing new, but our society feeds on this fear, I have three kids and have the same worries that you all have but i feel like we are isolating these people into a corner and making it worse.There was an article yesterday about 7 sex offenders living under a bridge in Miami because of new laws prevented them from living anywhere else. Is this the answer? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17985719/ I feel like they are treatable but they need intense supervision and intense treatment at the same time. We need to work on making them productive responsible citizens

Talk to your children about what to do if a stanger tries to kidnap them, this free movie will help them use certain skills to get free if this happens.
http://www.justyellfire.com/download.php

Old 04-08-2007, 06:06 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,382 times
Bad things happened in our day as well. There was a girl in my neighborhood (she lived two blocks from me) that was molested and killed and I never knew about it for years. In the past, a lot of things were kept quiet. The killer was the next door neighbor, a disturbed kid, and he was quietly put away. Not much fanfare and not much media attention and the incident was quietly forgotten. Nowadays, that would never be the case. I actually think we are probably safer today than we were back then but there is so much paranoia today, that we will never think that is the case. Back then, ignorance was indeed bliss.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM

380 posts, read 1,279,807 times
"I feel like they are treatable but they need intense supervision and intense treatment at the same time."

Would you want them to live next to you? Who's going to pay for this treatment and the monitoring?

Killing them, can't do that, it'd never pass in law unless it's been multiple times and they killed a child.

Desert is the best answer, cost us less, they live, we are free of them.

1*Ranch

Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 PM

144 posts, read 686,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post

Would you want them to live next to you? Who's going to pay for this treatment and the monitoring?

Killing them, can't do that, it'd never pass in law unless it's been multiple times and they killed a child.

Desert is the best answer, cost us less, they live, we are free of them.

1*Ranch
Of course I don't want one living next to me, but its gonna happen. Don't get me wrong I am not siding with them but we need alternatives for treatment and you are so worried about how much it cost? The State allready pays for most of it. Its more complicated than just shipping them out to the desert.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 04-09-2007 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,807 times
Actually having a tent city and making them pay for their meals and chain gangs would save money as opposed to spending it on nice A/C furnished, Cable TV having rooms. I don't have numbers to bring to this fight, but common sense should suffice.

Refer to Sheriff Roy Arpaio of Maricopa County, Az.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
Why is it that ever other day we hear something in the news about a person, either flashing, approaching or trying to lure children from our schools? Is there a problem with our laws, does more need to be done?

I personally believe they are mentally sick and can not be treated. They should be sent to live in tent camps in the desert. This would save tax paying dollars and keep our kids safer.

1*Ranch.
I think we should extend the death penalty for those with multiple counts of child molestation. The number would have to be at least 5, but I see no need to keep these people around.

Wack'em, end of story.

~T

Old 04-09-2007, 04:28 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,206 times
I don't consider it paranoia to be precautious when you have your children out in public. Its a simple parenting instinct to want to protect them, not being paranoid. Also, it shouldn't be a question about the best treatment for "these people" we are referring to. Treatments are for people who are victims. Sex offenders make the choice themself to commit the horrible crimes. They surely know that there must be consequences. Many abusers were abused as children themselves. Yes when they were children they were victims, but not as adults. Its their responsibliity as adults to seek any counseling they think they may need to overcome the trama of their childhood abuse. Its a vicious cycle that is neverending if they are allowed to keep preying on innocent children. If they make the choice to abuse a child, then they made the choice to pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies