Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,578 times

Advertisements

No, it's not racist.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times
I view this not so different then wanting to shop at neighborhood stores. I make every attempt to frequent only stores in my area. Trying to help out the small businesses and save on gas.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I view this not so different then wanting to shop at neighborhood stores. I make every attempt to frequent only stores in my area. Trying to help out the small businesses and save on gas.
I agree, and that's what I do, too. I try to primarily shop at locally owned stores. It's not always feasible, but I do prefer locally owned. Why would I want to send a bunch of money to other states when I can keep some here?

My own status as a small business owner (though it is an internet-based business) has a great effect on my choices, too.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Who cares whether it is racist? Capitalism is becoming a dying enterprise, let them have their "feel good" time, soon to be ended by issuance to ALL of us of our government coupons. The barter system will no doubt be making a big comeback. Look for a big boom in the black market as well (no pun intended).

Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
I don't see it as racist.
If my area had more locally owned and minority owned businesses I would frequent them, especially when it comes to groceries.
There is a grocery store that sells organic and locally growned foods but I don't feel like going to two different grocery stores to get everything I want. I want to just make one trip and be done with it.

I like knowing that my money is contributing to the community rather than fattening some corporations bottom line.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Not racist at all. And yes, if a white person vowed to patronize only white-owned businesses, it would be racist.

could you explain this, please?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
The people in the OPs link is choosing to discriminate against non-black businesses soley on the basis of race. If that isn't "racist" I'm not quite sure what is-though perhaps discriminatory would be a better term. It's also his/her choice to support those businesses they choose, for whatever reason same as everyone else.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
could you explain this, please?
Your request is my command.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
This couple is patronizing only black owned businesses. Do you find this racist or not?

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement
As a black guy, all I'll say is it's their money. I just hope it's LOCAL black businesses. I'm big on supporting local business.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:39 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,245,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont find it racist at all, but I have no doubt that if a white individual vowed to only patronize white owned businesses, they would be called racist.
It's very tempting to jump to that conclusion but I think there is a qualitative difference between the two and you have to look at context. Growing up, we heard all the time that we have to support our Black-owned businesses because of the fact that other groups do not... and the dollars that we spend at white-owned, Korean-owned, Jewish-owned, etc. stores are not recycled in Black neighborhoods. These other groups rarely hired Blacks to work in their stores, they never lived in Black neighborhoods and they never supported local institutions. So, the argument was that you should "Buy Black" when you have a choice as a way to build up your community. It was not about "Screw those whiteys" sentiment... it was an economic, not racial argument. Had those businesses hired Blacks and invested in the community, you would not have seen these movements arise.

If the situation were reverse and whites did the same thing, I would not think it racial at all. The issue is that the history and demographics of this country makes the imperative for having a "Buy White" movement simply unnecessary... so if one did pop up, there would have to be some localized reason that made it necessary... otherwise, it would probably be rightly labeled racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies