Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
This couple is patronizing only black owned businesses. Do you find this racist or not?

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement
Not so much racist as idiotic. Suppose, for instance, that there was a backlash. Who would be affected the most? (And I don't hesitate to say that it wouldn't be white-owned businesses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
No I don't feel that its racist. I myself shop local when ever possible. That said a double standard does exist. If whites were to proclaim that they only shop white businesses they would be tarred and feathered by the press. Personally I'll shop what ever local store has what I need race is not a factor.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
I don't think it's racist, I just think it's unhelpful and being done solely as a mean to get there name in the media (IMO). I remember discussing this months ago when the IL couple started this. I just find it so ironic that this couple lives in a Chicago suburb that isn't even majority black. if they want to preach the gospel of "buying black", couldn't they at least rent in a neighborhood w/ a majority black population? instead of Oak Park, this couple could be living in Humboldt Park or Garfield Park. hell, they could have even bought a house in Hyde Park or the southside of Chicago which likely has more blacks than Oak Park. instead of wasting time, energy, resources, and money traveling dozens of miles out of your way to support the local black owned store, why not just move into that area (even if temporary, or at least be there fairly regularly) and work to fix it up on the inside.

I think this "experiment" doesn't even begin to address the issue of why there are so few black owned businesses. it doesn't address the issue that few blacks own their businesses, many can't secure the credit to open it (yeah, some will cry racism that the white owned banks won't lend to them, but many of them may just have crap credit), a lot of blacks in Chicago are clustered in high crime areas where kids are prone to dropping out of high school and joining gangs. it seems like that if you're black and want to open a business that black customers will patronize, you don't have many choices outside the bad, high crime areas (speaking of Chicago here), and really, who wants to open up a new business in such an area?

I would love to shop at black owned businesses, however, the few I've been to had horrible customer service and poor product selection. for me, the BEST way to buy products made and sold by blacks is to shop online or get specialty items. in the end, I'm going to spend my money at the place that provides the best customer service, the best product selection, and/or the best prices. I will sacrifice one of the above if the others follow suit, but I won't sacrifice 2 or all 3

Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
People should shop wherever they want to shop. Nobody has to explain themselves when it comes to what they decide to do with their money. And if white people want to support white businesses, they can do that too. The idea that it's racist for white people to do it is just another example of the double standard that exists in this country now... A double standard that begins and ends with all white people having to explain their every move and blacks not being accountable for anything to anyone.

It's all nonsense. It's your money. Spend it where you want.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
This couple is patronizing only black owned businesses. Do you find this racist or not?

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

Let's see.

They are deciding which businesses to patronize, based purely on the owner's race.

They are rejecting, say, all white-owned businesses due solely to the fact that the race of the owner is "white".

They are accepting all black-owned businesses due solely to the fact that the race of the owner is "black".

Nope, I don't see any decisions made here based on race, do you?

(My reply is offered in the same spirit as, I'm sure, your query was.)

BTW, you didn't happen to intend to ask a different question, did you?

A question like:

Do you believe that "discrimination" against blacks is racist, while "reverse discrimination" against whites is not racist?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:27 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
What a silly question. I don't think black consumers are doing enough to support black-owned businesses.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
The things you outline show bigotry at its finest. Sure, you are free to shop whereever you want, but that doesn't preclude you from showing hypocritical bigotry in your shopping choices. In fact, by avoiding stores with Christian fishes, you showcase your particular brand of bigotry.
On the other hand, while you espouse everyone's freedom to "shop where they want", I have all my bets on the suspicion that you expect my tax money to involuntarily support pro-abortion counseling and government-funded fetal stem cell research (items that I am morally opposed to, but don't have the right to "shop" and opt out).
Just like my childfree existence pays taxes for your schools.
You get what you get.
Just like I pay higher federal taxes because I'm childfree.
Don't see me whining all over the place, now do you?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
That was my first thought too, if a white person did it, then it would be called racist.
Folks seem to make these judgments, not unsurprisingly, without historical context or consideration of the motivations of the individuals or groups involved.

For one group, in this case African Americans, to pursue an economic strategy to eliminate the economic disparity that cripples their community is one set of issues, for another group to promote the continued economic superiority of their group for the purpose of maintaining that economic superiority is quite another thing all together.

Of course economic exclusivity has been a time honored economic strategy for ever ethnic group that has found itself on the economic short end of the American economy, it is a well functioning tool of economic empowerment today, employed by Koreans, Cubans, and others. Yet, I never seem to read any criticism of the economic practices of these groups.

Strange that.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
The essence of racism - what makes it bad - is that it is used to keep one race in power and to marginalize and weaken other races. So, if you choose to support minority-owned businesses, for whatever reason, you are not supporting the existing racial dominance of the white segment of our population.

However, if you choose to support white-owned businesses only, you are supporting the existing white dominance.

Face it, there are plenty of reasons to want more diversity in our society. We need more Korean restaurants and African guitar players and Chilean lama-wool vests.

But there's no reason to want more white-owned businesses. They already have an advantage in our society. So deciding to support white-owned businesses is deciding that whites don't have enough power already. That's racist.
No, racism is basing decisions on the color of one's skin rather than the content of their character.

They are indeed being racist. If they weren't they'd be patronizing any struggling business regardless of the color of the owner's skin.

How many whites, asians, etc. have put up businesses in black communities when some blacks have refused because it wasn't profitable yet these blacks won't patronize their stores. It's obviously about skin color and nothing more.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
No, racism is basing decisions on the color of one's skin rather than the content of their character.
Horse crap. The context of King's speech is based upon the historical use of color as a negative determinate of the inherent worth of one person over another.

Quote:
If they weren't they'd be patronizing any struggling business regardless of the color of the owner's skin.
So I suppose it is racist to buy a Toyota over a Chrysler?

Quote:
How many whites, asians, etc. have put up businesses in black communities when some blacks have refused because it wasn't profitable yet these blacks won't patronize their stores. It's obviously about skin color and nothing more.
Perhaps you should do a little research on the predatory, and by your definition of racist, practices of the Korean take over of the African American hair care business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies