Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Tracing all your ancestors to Europe does not make a difference. I already said my opinion about the "perception" by blacks and anglos of being a Lopez, Gomez and being white.

Now according to the US government my sisters are white, even though they look mixed because we have black and indian blood in our family. So in the government's eyes my sisters who are pretty dark or mestizas or whatever you wanna call it, are as white as those hispanics whose grandparents are European. They still check the white box when filling out an application. There is no checkbox for mestizos or check this box if one your ancestries is not European.

Anyways, this is of course my opinion now. I get insulted when hispanics talk about their european ancentries, like if they need to prove something. Who cares?? You don't hear anglos out there bragging that they don't have any black or indian blood. These kind of things are what makes some hispanics look racist. Yes and in my perception, they are racist. Sorry if I offended anybody, I'm just talking about my perceptions.
You have a valid point. It's evident here, that some are trying to make a point with that mindset. Who really cares how much European ancestry, or black or Indian ancestry one has as a hispanic? Most people (who aren't hispanic) really don't care, and won't spend time trying to dissect where your ancestors are from. (Yes, I did argue that many will question the whole heritage/race thing, but that's another topic. My mistake for even getting into it.)

It's like a badge of honor of who has more European ancestry VS Black and/or Indian on a totem pole for some. . It gets old fast, and proves to show a great level of ignorance in the process. Some don't even see it. They're so caught up trying to prove a point.

I guess the U.S. Gov't thought it would be wise to implement the whole Hispanic thing, to put them in one group to avoid topic like this (It clearly backfired. One can't expect it to work out).

Not to sound bad, but the general attitude of people toward the hispanic (and various races) issue is:

"The world does not really care".

To prove my point, this whole thread was about WHY HISPANICS AND CUBANS DISLIKE BLACKS?
Not about the variety of Hispanics, and European ancestry thread hijacking that happened here .

That was totally off topic, and I can't believe I read into it, and not posted this as OFF TOPIC from the begining. These two topics are totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Because Hispanic people have the innate ability to be able to tell when someone is trying to stir things up. Why if you never had a problem before would you translate any experience to be a broad swiping indictment of a group of people. Makes it hard for me to believe you are Black. You are aren't you?
I'm curious, what do you think he/she is? I'm just curious, what brought to say that? Just asking.
The only defense I have for him/her is what that person is/was exposed to.
I know hispanic people from NYC, Boston and other places in the northeast that don't have a divisive attitude towards blacks, and are shocked when they move down here to see how things are different.
That poster's claim can be valid. People have different experiences/perspectives.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Because Hispanic people have the innate ability to be able to tell when someone is trying to stir things up. Why if you never had a problem before would you translate any experience to be a broad swiping indictment of a group of people. Makes it hard for me to believe you are Black. You are aren't you?
why are you concerned if i am black or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:08 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,404 times
Default white ≠ white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I think the problem is that many Hispanics are offended by the fact that Anglos have hijacked the word "white " to mean only a white american .. and that due to ignorance many white americans still think Hispanic is a race . The word "white" is a person who belongs to the Caucasian race period .... be they American , French , Italian, Argentine , Cuban , Colombian whatever . I know hispanics that are white , black , mestizo , native indian .. even of Asian background ... anywhere else in the world the word "white " is intended to mean a Caucasian person .... not a white american . Doc Oc sorry buddy , and yes the topic is becoming tiresome I agree , but as long as some people make ignorant posts it is hard not to respond .
The use of the term "white" in America is multifaceted.
Some of us are aware that there were times when Jews, Irish, and some other groups were not considered white.
In the US, white is not just white.

The argument of people with different notions of "white" in their minds can hardly come to an end.

Saludos

Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
My wife is dark-skinned Cuban and the worst racism she's experienced is from white Cubans. I've even seen it for my own eyes....we were in the car once with a white Cuban-American co-worker of hers and he made a very racist remark. Needless to say, I stopped the car and (literally) threw him out....because I don't tolerate that BS from anyone.

That even happens within families.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Yes,..Very interesting. Additionally large groups of those of Irish and German ancestry as well.
There are even Polynesian people (Rapa Nui, Easter Islander) in Latin America - the island is officially part of Chile.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
Well, all depends on which "hispanic," since a lot of them are black. But racism, whatever...happens with all races, regardless of where they are from. For example, a lot of Americans of Mexican origins living in CA dislike the illegal immigrants from Mexico. Some Americans of Cuban descent living in Florida dislike new immigrants from Cuba, specially "illegal" ones. There are some neighborhoods in the Big Apple where some of my own race don't like me around because I am white, although I am not an American of EU ancestry.

The way i see it, the multiculturalism that has been pushed on us for so many years is turning against us. This happens when the American culture is being replaced by other cultures, right here in the US.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
There are even Polynesian people (Rapa Nui, Easter Islander) in Latin America - the island is officially part of Chile.

OFF TOPIC!!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
When any person discriminates against another person because of skin color or ancestry that isn't "european" they are simply falling into the category of racism which is what the colonials intended. "Colonials" being "Europeans" who settled north/south america and the caribbean.

If they had not instilled racism among the "natives - indigenous people of the land"and those they imported as slaves then they never would have been able to conquer them and settle the lands.

What's worse is that the very mindset the colonials used to dominate indigenous people and those who were brought here as chattel continues today in 2009 and has been passed down through the ages.

It sickens me to know that it has been passed down through generations until today and humans continue (despite the knowledge that skin color is only a factor of genetics and is a superficial trait) people continue to put value in skin color and ethnicity.

This is what keeps many people (including europeans, asians, cubans, mexicans, people of latin american descent) and popular culture which has judged people who are not "of visible european ancestry (meaning you can look at someone and think you know where they came from)" as "less than".

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-16-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
OFF TOPIC!!

1. Have you read the entire thread? The point, connected to other posts in this thread, was that people of any origin can be Hispanic.

2. Do you really think I give a rat's ass about what you think?

3. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
1. Have you read the entire thread? The point, connected to other posts in this thread, was that people of any origin can be Hispanic.

2. Do you really think I give a rat's ass about what you think?

3. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.
I have, but you and some other folks who dont seem to understand what the topic/original post is about. You don't seem to have read the original question. This thread went off topic a long time ago, and you're definitely not helping. Let me reiterate it for you.

This is "NOT" about the diversity or any origin being hispanic. IT'S ABOUT WHY CUBANS AN HISPANICS DISLIKE BLACK PEOPLE. You didn't read the whole thread. Once you've read the entire thread, then post something valid , not nonsense of who's hispanic or not.
You only read what you wanted to read. Admit it, or you wouldn't be saying what you did.

Try reading the thread in its entirety before rambling that nonsense you just did. Get a clue. People don't care about the whole totem pole, white, mestizo, Black, hispanic thing. Some people tried to steer the topic in the direction you are mentioning for their own benefit. GET ON TOPIC, or I will push to lock this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.