Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM

88,046 posts, read 83,895,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentino1 View Post
i've always been frustrated by those who insist "hispanic" is a race - with one parent who was half spanish (euro), and the other 75% of me irish, i have had a lifetime of slurs directed toward me, and have been called a liar and a poseur when in exasperation i shout "I'M WHITE!" you've given me new, interesting information on the subject...
Well, just so you know, as someone who has a European Spanish parent, you are NOT eligible to own a business that can be certified as a minority business enterprise, (or disadvantaged business enterprise if there is federal funding involved.)

So there. The gubmint says you are white!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 PM

686 posts, read 1,693,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I totally disagree.
Many Hispanics are black with African descent & European Descent.
Mexico has a large European population of Jews, Irish and other settlers as well as blacks

Please get your facts straight
actually tiger bear is right, the vast majority of hispanic people are either predominatley native and white mixed (mestizo) or white or just full Indian and there are very few blacks in Mexico.

On the otherhand there are some black and mulatto hispanics mainly in the carribean countries and a some coastal areas of a few countries like Colombia and Venezuela but even those two countries are mostly made up of Indian and white mixed people.

Last edited by adirondackguy123; 10-11-2010 at 11:51 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 PM

686 posts, read 1,693,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRpeaceandlove View Post
To be clear the majority of people in Brazil are as black as the average black American if we are talking DNA. And they are mistreated by the Brazilian racist White Supremacist system.

That is entirley wrong, the Majority of Brazillians are white, European ancestry is dominant in Brazil.

with pardos (mixed race) being next largest, and not all pardos are mulatto, many are tri racial and Caboclo (indian and white mix) and Caboclos make up about 12% of Brazil's people

Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 AM

948 posts, read 890,990 times
Can't we all just get over the racism bit already? I mean I know it's easy to stereotype but honestly, there are some blacks I'd take a bullet for and some I'd like to shoot. Same goes for whites, Mexicans, Asians, etc. We're all mutts when it comes down to it so seriously, why can't we just band together as Americans?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,374,852 times
That is a bunch of crap, and what rock did you just crawl out of. There is always going to be racism going on in this Country, and many different forms of racism. But i know Blacks and Hispanics who get along perfectly fine, and i know some who are married, so your profound theory, does not hold water. There are always exceptions to every rule, and most will side in with their nationality, but that does not mean that they hate either unless your absoutely ignorant to the core. Being Italian mainly with some Spanish means nothing at all, Because i was born in this Country as an American, i feel the same way about White Americans as i do black, mind your own damn business, abide by the laws, be a good fellow human being to those around you, don't act as a big shot, and commit crimes, and by my book, your doing pretty good. At least in this Country i happen to know blacks and hispanics who get along very well, and they are all younger, and yes some have married. I feel that the majority of people who truly hate blacks is probably smaller then we think, we have a hefty population out there, i feel it is more economic the way people feel about blacks, but hey there are hispanics out there doing the same things as the blacks.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, just so you know, as someone who has a European Spanish parent, you are NOT eligible to own a business that can be certified as a minority business enterprise, (or disadvantaged business enterprise if there is federal funding involved.)

So there. The gubmint says you are white!

I'm not sure what geniuses decided to word it as such, Florida, the law defines "minority owned businesses" as those owned by persons of Spanish or Portuguese descent, without excluding European Spaniards or actual Portuguese.

As someone who is half Portuguese (first generation), though, damned if my heritage has ever conferred any other benefits!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:01 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,805,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If this is the case, then blacks probably stand to lose the most with increased diversity, not white people.
They definitely stand to lose more with increased illegal immigration, especially from those cultures with a decided racist viewpoint.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,529,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
actually tiger bear is right, the vast majority of hispanic people are either predominatley native and white mixed (mestizo) or white or just full Indian and there are very few blacks in Mexico.
I agree with the Native and mestizo; the vast majority of people in the Spanish-speaking Americas are either mixed white/Native or just Native. But there are very few straight-up whites in Latin America.

Quote:
On the otherhand there are some black and mulatto hispanics mainly in the carribean countries and a some coastal areas of a few countries like Colombia and Venezuela but even those two countries are mostly made up of Indian and white mixed people.
Venezuela and Colombia are mostly mestizo and mulatto, with some zambo (African-Native) and African people; whites, again, are a minority.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:21 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,430,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Fair enough, but also understand that there is a huge difference between African immigrants, and the average African. I despise it when Africans spew that sort of rhetoric, not because I endorse the ghetto culture, but because African immigrants in America are some of the most highly educated and skilled workers in the world. There is no path to America for low skilled workers unless it is via the refugee system, so taking the smartest and most hard working 1% of Africans and comparing them to blacks in America is not fair. You could compare those same Africans against the lower class white folks, and the disparities would be just as alarming. I do think it would be interesting to see those statistics measured up against the statistics of the richest 10% of black Americans. I hate ghetto culture are much as that Ethiopian cab driver, but there are just as many hard working and educated black Americans out there and to suggest otherwise is unfair.
Exactly!

And if you compare the average European immigrant to the American born white population you see the same thing. From my observations, European immigrants are more likely to be highly educated and are less prone to criminal activites than American born whites.

It should be common sense to know that people who come here legally are often more ambitous and have more skills then their former countrymen back home. So comparing them to the native population here is silly.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,805,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
And if you compare the average European immigrant to the American born white population you see the same thing. From my observations, European immigrants are more likely to be highly educated and are less prone to criminal activites than American born whites.

It should be common sense that people who come here legally are often more ambitous and have more skills then their former countrymen back home. So comparing them to the native population here is silly.
Legal immigrants are also VETTED for prior criminal activity before they receive a visa to come here...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies