Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The day Americans educate themselves is the day I stop talking about the issue.
The reason we have to go over this issue time and time again in the South Florida forums is because people keep making posts that show a fundamental misunderstanding of what "Hispanic" or "Latino" is. When those posts stop, we'll stop going over what seems so elementary to us and so confusing to them. Ironically enough, many of these posts come from people outside of South Florida...

Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 AM

305 posts, read 805,357 times
As a black man I'll be honest and very blunt when I say that at times us black folks bring the problems unto ourselves.

The younger hip hop culture has literally no friends, young blacks are stereotyped and literally they don't have a pot to **** in most of the times.

Usually blacks are looked upon as ghetto kings/queens and mindless idiots who won't progress for the better, alot of times unfortunately this is true.

I'm a person who thinks that "most" people aren't racist but being around a certain group and seeing all the typical flaws, the "hate" will come out after time.

If your around blacks all day, I don't care what color you are, after a while you're not gonna think to fond of them.

The ones that behavior ourselves and try to do good seem to do a bit better off than the ghetto kings who choose to keep it real all day.

But seriously, when you see a young brother with his pants hanging off his rear end, how do you feel? And then you see a couple white kids from Weston having the same image, how do you feel?

It's very, very easy to point the finger at black folks since our business is out there for the world to see, it's becoming the same way with the Hispanic community as well, a couple years ago, you didn't see the negative images of the Hispanics community as you do now..... what do you see now? illegals, gangs, excessive culture or celebration of culture....

As for Hispanics and Blacks, they're was always beef there but it's mostly amoung the younger rap crowd as both fight for the same thing... respect.

Older Hispanics, like most people view blacks as lazy but the hard working middle class blacks don't fight back because once they leave the "hood" they never come back nor do they come back to try to uplift the youth.

It's one of the most talked about things in the black community, the black "middle class" not carrying their end of the deal.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM

50 posts, read 291,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
If your around blacks all day, I don't care what color you are, after a while you're not gonna think to fond of them.

The ones that behavior ourselves and try to do good seem to do a bit better off than the ghetto kings who choose to keep it real all day.
^^^ Thats why with me I have to vary who I hang out with. If I hangout with only black folks I start to just not want to hangout with 'us' too much longer. And in places like Miami and 'Florida' is a totally different black than other cities. I have family who only like to hangout with black folks and its like, "have you not tried to associate with anyone outside of that?"

Same thing with anyone else. I have latino friends in Miami but I cant see myself ever ONLY hanging out with them like I used to when I lived there. Different groups have different (negative) ways and over time being 'sheltered' by one race gets annoying. So I like to vary it up.

Miami is still not the north, no matter what anyone says so therefore its...dare I say it, south. So the whole 'varying' of associating with people outside of their 'race/ethnicity/whatever' is still a hurdle to many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
The reason we have to go over this issue time and time again in the South Florida forums is because people keep making posts that show a fundamental misunderstanding of what "Hispanic" or "Latino" is.

My thing is, this thread seems to go completely off topic and avoid the main question. Ok, maybe so and so didnt have the right meaning of Latino or Hispanic. Explain. Explained? ok

But it turns into this whole thing of who is who instead of why the issue exist between 'people who speak (fill in blank) and people who are...(fill in the blank)

Last edited by JoeyR; 05-13-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM

245 posts, read 1,171,279 times
Quote:
The reason we have to go over this issue time and time again in the South Florida forums is because people keep making posts that show a fundamental misunderstanding of what "Hispanic" or "Latino" is. When those posts stop, we'll stop going over what seems so elementary to us and so confusing to them. Ironically enough, many of these posts come from people outside of South Florida...
i live in south florida

Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM

245 posts, read 1,171,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post
^^^ Thats why with me I have to vary who I hang out with. If I hangout with only black folks I start to just not want to hangout with 'us' too much longer. And in places like Miami and 'Florida' is a totally different black than other cities. I have family who only like to hangout with black folks and its like, "have you not tried to associate with anyone outside of that?"

Same thing with anyone else. I have latino friends in Miami but I cant see myself ever ONLY hanging out with them like I used to when I lived there. Different groups have different (negative) ways and over time being 'sheltered' by one race gets annoying. So I like to vary it up.

Miami is still not the north, no matter what anyone says so therefore its...dare I say it, south. So the whole 'varying' of associating with people outside of their 'race/ethnicity/whatever' is still a hurdle to many.
i have no problem with hanging out with other races and yes the blacks here or AA are totally different than the AA from up north, at times it's difficult for me to relate to them, there are lots of poor blacks down here which really surprised me...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
i have no problem with hanging out with other races and yes the blacks here or AA are totally different than the AA from up north, at times it's difficult for me to relate to them, there are lots of poor blacks down here which really surprised me...
I have had the same problem. Blacks in the N.E. are 100 times different than the ones here.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
That was my point with " Only in Florida " California and Texas have large hispanic populations and you never see this stuff on any of their forums.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
When I left Florida I thought race relations in this country were horrible. When I got to Tennessee I found out that black and hispanic people in Florida are MUCH different then other places and found people get along a helluva lot better here then Tampa where I'm from orig.

I don't know why that is but it is.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
It's one of the most talked about things in the black community, the black "middle class" not carrying their end of the deal.
Why should a black man or woman that busted their butts to get out of the hood come back and helpout those that didn't want to work ?

Someone from Jacksonville posted in the Memphis forum that basically black people are the way they are because of a lack of fathers and growing up in the hood. If this were 1950 I could see it but in todays world and society all it is is an excuse to be lazy and not work hard for anything.

The funny thing is, Poor people always say " I can't afford college " but if they would get up off their lazy butts and do some research they will find that they can go to school almost scott free. I grew up in a household with a sister and a single mother and we made right around or less then $20k as a household income. I was given 100% financial aid ( not a scholarship ) a pell grant that covered my tuition 100%. Yes, I now have to pay back like $15k in loans that I also got but I have that diploma now and it'll never be taken away.

People need to wake up and do things for themselves and not depend on other people.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 PM

259 posts, read 840,319 times
Quote:
I think you answered your own question with this comment. I agree, that the blacks down here are completely different than in a lot of other parts of America. First of all many are 1st and 2nd generation Caribbean immigrants (nothing wrong with that, I am part Jamaican ) but it is a cultural difference and the few that are African-American tend to be pushed towards the lower class South Florida economy. Where I am from (Houston, TX) blacks are not the majority BUT there are blacks from all over the world and there is actually a solid middle class. There are only a handful of "Cliff and Clair Hugstables" in South Florida and honestly, I have really met only one family like that in the 2 year span that I have been down here. Those are the ones that come here from other places and work extremelly hard to get where they are. Where as in other cities, there are local blacks that are much more progressive and in reality, many of the Hispanics in those exact same cities get the bad treatment because they are on the lower class end of the stick.
Because of the income and education gap between Hispanics (especially Cubans) and African-Americans down here, we are stereotyped even more and seen in a much more negative light even if there are a few of us doing well (apparantly it doesn't count). The crime does not help because of course a lot of crime is committed and displayed in the media by the lower class citizens (no matter what city you are in.) Until a large number of us are able to raise our education and income levels and align them with the middle class South Florida society, the racism will continue to exist. And this is why so many young progressive blacks from South Florida will continue to flock to cities like Atlanta, DC, Dallas, ect. I only wish I studied and knew this before I moved here.

*I apologize for any grammatical errors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies