Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerican View Post
i know this is a controversial topic, but i am truly interested.

I live in ny, where i would probably get killed for flying the flag. I honestly think it is a beautiful flag, and i love the history behind it. The symbolism, that an abusive government that punishes certain states can be thrown out, and that states have the right to secede.

So do you fly a battle flag, either on your vehicle (could be a bumper sticker), your house (inside or outside).

I am more interested in people who actually fly the flag, why do you do it, and where do you live. I have seen a few in pa, oh, and many further south, as well as a few as far west as arizona. (the only place in the upper south where i don't see them is northern va, dc, and maryland).
you love the south dont ya......

Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM

191 posts, read 143,882 times
Nope. I'm to big to get off the ground. Plus I cant get going fast enough. Its a little too flimsy as well.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Associating the confederate flag with support of slavery is naive, at best. They are not synonymous. To say that the Civil War was fought over slavery is a gross simplification, although ending slavery was a major outcome of the war itself.

The root causes of the war were many and complex ie., import tariffs that protected Northern industry. The issue of slavery only fell under the state's rights argument of the South. The eleven Southern states that seceded felt that the federal government was imposing its authority upon the states, and they felt that the individual states should determine policy for their citizens. One of those rights that some Southerners wanted upheld was the right to own slaves, but not all Southerners agreed with this right. They were in agreement, however, over their support that the STATES should decide upon issues such as tariffs, trade, shipping, etc. Very few of the confederate soldiers fighting in the war even came from slave-owning households. It wasn't until the Gettysburg Address in 1863 that Lincoln even used the issue of the abolition of slavery as part of the reasoning for the war (and to prevent potential European intervention).

To me, the Confederate flag is a testament to those who believed in small government and state's rights over federal imposition. It's unfortunate that it has become synonymous (to some) with being pro-slavery, as many of the confederates themselves were clearly not pro-slavery, just as many Northerners were not anti-slavery.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Default Do you all sit around the campfahr and tell yourselves that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Associating the confederate flag with support of slavery is naive, at best. They are not synonymous. To say that the Civil War was fought over slavery is a gross simplification, although ending slavery was a major outcome of the war itself.

The root causes of the war were many and complex ie., import tariffs that protected Northern industry. The issue of slavery only fell under the state's rights argument of the South. The eleven Southern states that seceded felt that the federal government was imposing its authority upon the states, and they felt that the individual states should determine policy for their citizens. One of those rights that some Southerners wanted upheld was the right to own slaves, but not all Southerners agreed with this right. They were in agreement, however, over their support that the STATES should decide upon issues such as tariffs, trade, shipping, etc. Very few of the confederate soldiers fighting in the war even came from slave-owning households. It wasn't until the Gettysburg Address in 1863 that Lincoln even used the issue of the abolition of slavery as part of the reasoning for the war (and to prevent potential European intervention).

To me, the Confederate flag is a testament to those who believed in small government and state's rights over federal imposition. It's unfortunate that it has become synonymous (to some) with being pro-slavery, as many of the confederates themselves were clearly not pro-slavery, just as many Northerners were not anti-slavery.
Hmmm.
"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man;..."
Cornerstone Speech by Alexander H. Stephens
"A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union

In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world."
Mississippi Declaration of Secession

Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM

292 posts, read 543,723 times
I have one that's really old.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
There is a place for that flag to be flown in honor,and I respect that,,,,,but it needs to be flown in a place where black folks dont see it..It makes them very upset and they dont want to listen to any bullchit reasons for flying it,,,,,I dont want to see any mexican flags or nazi crap either.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 PM

217 posts, read 125,776 times
Yep I fly it with pride.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
I personally don't see what's so great about a culture that pushed so hard to have the right to enslave another race of people, but I'm not about to try to silence other peoples' speech - so long as it remains just that and doesn't turn into action.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
I own one or two, along with a whole closet of family Confederate civil war relics.

I don't fly it out of respect for my neighbors who might be offended.

I'm also a Civil War re-enactor, so I have a full blown Confederate Army uniform hanging in my closet, and I'm proud to celebrate that heritage, or at least the positive aspects of it. It is what it is.

What I WON'T do is put that uniform on and walk around on Halloween, or any other time outside of doing an actual battle re-enactment. I'm proud of my family's heritage but I don't feel like I have to offend other people with it.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
I don't fly one, but someone else flying one doesn't bother me in the least. I guess I'm just thick-skinned compared to some other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies