U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,042,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Why would I fly the confederate flag, I'm a Yank. Besides, we all know what that flag stands for, the only reason someone would fly it is for controversy.
So you are equating the CSA, a nation that believed in equality for all (black, white, women, and men) according to its President, Jefferson Davis, with an ideology that believed in oppression of non-Aryans, and the rights of everyone.

The CSA was an extremely free and progressive nation. The Civil War would have never happened had Abraham Lincoln followed the Constitution. The Battle Flag is one of the few flags that I love (I love the flag of the US obviously, and would always fly at an equal height to the Battle Flag). The CSA stood for liberty and equality, not racism. The Civil War wasn't even about slavery. So many people have been miseducated. But asked even the most Liberal historian, and they will tell you that War was about stopping states from exercising their right to secession.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 AM

14,349 posts, read 13,280,474 times
I fly the Gadsden flag since it's more readily apparent my intentions. I see nothing wrong with the Confederate flag though I don't fly it. It's not about hate but a spirit of rebellion against governments the same as during our Revolution. Problem is it's been used by hate groups so much and would be badly misinterpreted here (North) but I'd be willing to fly it in the South where it's more understood the intention. I'm in the North but some of my ancestors did fight for the Confederacy (and some for the North too, however).

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM

2,732 posts, read 4,228,503 times
What about the american flag why doesnt that stand for...
slavery,genocide of indians,etc???

Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,042,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I fly the Gadsden flag since it's more readily apparent my intentions.
I love the Gadsden flag too! But mine got stolen in November, I think it was just some stupid kids, and not politically motivated.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
What about the american flag why doesnt that stand for...
slavery,genocide of indians,etc???
You mean the federal military flag? Yeah that's precisely what it stands for in my opinion...

Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I love the Gadsden flag too! But mine got stolen in November, I think it was just some stupid kids, and not politically motivated.
Congrats for flying it, from another right-wing extremist terrorist militiaman (I wear the term proudly, if the government hates me I must be doing something right, by flying that flag). You should get another one.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM

4,060 posts, read 2,453,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't personally fly the flag, but I don't object to others who exercise their right to do so.

I find it very interesting that people hate the Confederacy and the Confederate Flag on the individual level, but have no problem with all the Confederate monuments in and around our nation's Capitol. It seems that your hatred is misplaced. Freedom of speech should be first and foremost - whether you like that speech or not is irrelevant. But to completely ignore monuments in Washington DC that memorialize a cause that you have complete hatred for shows the hypocrisy of your rationale.
1. There are Confederate monuments in and around Washington, DC? What and where? I have a problem with that. Are these at the various cemetaries? Gettysburg has various state monuments which memorialize men, not movements. Is that what you are talking about?
2. How is hatred of a flag of traitors to your country misplaced?
3. Freedom of speech is not an issue because a. No one here has called for a ban on the flag b. Freedom of speech as outlined in the Constituition applies to the government not prohibting speech. There is no prohibition against individual citizens saying what they wish or other citizens objecting to what they say.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 AM

2,732 posts, read 4,228,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Congrats for flying it, from another right-wing extremist terrorist militiaman (I wear the term proudly, if the government hates me I must be doing something right, by flying that flag). You should get another one.

Watch it!you might get put on "The List"

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM

10,483 posts, read 9,460,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
So you are equating the CSA, a nation that believed in equality for all (black, white, women, and men) according to its President, Jefferson Davis, with an ideology that believed in oppression of non-Aryans, and the rights of everyone.

The CSA was an extremely free and progressive nation. The Civil War would have never happened had Abraham Lincoln followed the Constitution. The Battle Flag is one of the few flags that I love (I love the flag of the US obviously, and would always fly at an equal height to the Battle Flag). The CSA stood for liberty and equality, not racism. The Civil War wasn't even about slavery. So many people have been miseducated. But asked even the most Liberal historian, and they will tell you that War was about stopping states from exercising their right to secession.
You ask a question, you get an answer. You don't like my answer, that's fine but if you don't like the answer, then don't ask the question. And I believe you knew exactly what you were doing when you started this thread, don't try to play innocent.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 AM

22,619 posts, read 9,909,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
1. There are Confederate monuments in and around Washington, DC? What and where? I have a problem with that. Are these at the various cemetaries? Gettysburg has various state monuments which memorialize men, not movements. Is that what you are talking about?
2. How is hatred of a flag of traitors to your country misplaced?
3. Freedom of speech is not an issue because a. No one here has called for a ban on the flag b. Freedom of speech as outlined in the Constituition applies to the government not prohibting speech. There is no prohibition against individual citizens saying what they wish or other citizens objecting to what they say.
1. Yes. You people should get out of the house sometime. DC is an exquisite city to visit - especially if you appreciate history - of which the Confederacy is a huge component of. Why would monuments and statues and highways named for Confederate soldiers surprise anyone? It's an undeniable part of our nation's history. American's are embarrassingly stupid when it comes to their own government and history.

2. Just as I said earlier. Hatred is misplaced because the flag-haters concentrate that hatred on the individual excercising their free speech, while completely ignoring the monuments that occupy space in our nation's Capitol. I suspect this hatred is more about "rednecks" than it is about the Confederacy itself, but you'd never get a liberal/yankee to admit that.

3. You have the right to hate the Confederate flag. They have a right to fly it. We are in agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies