Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Why is it a shame? They guy obviously had issues - why would I have wanted him in my life?
I'm glad I knew/know my father even though I never wanted and still don't want a thing to do with him.

My response, however, was directed more towards the part of your post about the increasing number of children not knowing their parents...it wasn't specifically about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Gosh, I guess that throughout history ANYONE and EVERYONE who had a male and a female for parents (MARRIED of course!) turned out to be normal people...no pedophiles EVER came from a female/male parental situation,...no murderers, no sociopaths, no druggies, no liars, no crooks.....

...really ??????

Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm glad I knew/know my father even though I never wanted and still don't want a thing to do with him.

My response, however, was directed more towards the part of your post about the increasing number of children not knowing their parents...it wasn't specifically about you.
Oh- ok. My thought was more because I know a fair number of adopted children in my neighborhood (several Chinese girls) and two other couples who had to use egg donors. All these children have two parents and happy homes. In the case of young, single mothers who have babies and the father is never in the child's life, yeah, that's sad.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Oh- ok. My thought was more because I know a fair number of adopted children in my neighborhood (several Chinese girls) and two other couples who had to use egg donors. All these children have two parents and happy homes. In the case of young, single mothers who have babies and the father is never in the child's life, yeah, that's sad.
And you don't think they'll wonder where they came from?

What about what's lacking in those "happy homes"?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Gosh, I guess that throughout history ANYONE and EVERYONE who had a male and a female for parents (MARRIED of course!) turned out to be normal people...no pedophiles EVER came from a female/male parental situation,...no murderers, no sociopaths, no druggies, no liars, no crooks.....

...really ??????
Of course they did. The point is that, generally, single parenting causes a child to be more likely to grow up with a laundry list of issues.

The question in my mind is whether it's the lack of any other parent or specifically the lack of a parent of the opposite sex.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
And you don't think they'll wonder where they came from?

What about what's lacking in those "happy homes"?
You just tell them they were adopted, or came from a donor. Big deal.

What would be lacking? The parents wanted children so much, they spent money on adoption and IVF. The homes I'm talking about are all "heterosexual", so don't worry.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Did I ever suggest taking anyone's kids away?

The side conversation I was having with the other poster was about adoption.
I'm not saying that you said that.. I'm asking if that would fall into your idea of what should be for children?
I don't understand how adoption rules must be above and beyond the standard for biological children.. a home's a home...
if the home applying for adoption of a child meets necessary requirments and is checked out and found to be a loving option.. what is the beef?
fact of the matter is.. that child was not wanted.. so whether it has a mother or a father.. neither of them wanted the child.. so if two moms or two dads are willing to step up to the plate.. how can we justify telling them no?
I can kind of see your logic.. but I fear it's rooted in ideals, and not reality..

I'm a gay person that was raised by a mother and a father who loved me, and who are still together to this day.. I'm lucky.. of course a part of me wishes that for every child to have that same thing.. But I'm not naive to believe that it's necessarily the only option.. afterall we are talking about children who DO have a mother and a father and NEITHER of them want them.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I'm not saying that you said that.. I'm asking if that would fall into your idea of what should be for children?
I don't understand how adoption rules must be above and beyond the standard for biological children.. a home's a home...
if the home applying for adoption of a child meets necessary requirments and is checked out and found to be a loving option.. what is the beef?
fact of the matter is.. that child was not wanted.. so whether it has a mother or a father.. neither of them wanted the child.. so if two moms or two dads are willing to step up to the plate.. how can we justify telling them no?
I can kind of see your logic.. but I fear it's rooted in ideals, and not reality..

I'm a gay person that was raised by a mother and a father who loved me, and who are still together to this day.. I'm lucky.. of course a part of me wishes that for every child to have that same thing.. But I'm not naive to believe that it's necessarily the only option.. afterall we are talking about children who DO have a mother and a father and NEITHER of them want them.
Reality shows us the consequences of single parenting. Look at some statistics.

The question in my mind, as I said earlier, is whether it's the lack of a parent of the opposite sex is the problem or it's as simple as the lack of any other parent.

And I should make clear, BTW, I have absolutely no problem with gay people being involved with kids in any other way. My concern is not that the kids will become gay, nor do I fear for the kids' safety. I understand fully that homosexuals are no more likely to be pedophiles (or anything else) than heterosexuals.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
How is their ability to raise chidren "curbed"?
That is not what I said.

Quote:
Missing element? No - this is just another lie invented by Dobson and his cronies. I've posted this before, but a child can be both mothered and fathered by same sex couples. Many gay people (I'd say most) have qualities of the opposite sex that heterosexual people often do not. I'm gay, and we have two children. One of us takes the more fatherly role and the other takes a softer, more motherly approach with the children. I know lesbian couples w/children and the same is true for them.
The missing element in your case is a female. And no, I did not subscribe to any philosophy here I am just pointing out the obvious.

What are your standards for a motherly figure? I do not believe that true motherly love can be simulated. So is it that both of you strive to act as a father and mother or is it that you both truly are what you claim to be?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:17 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
who the f cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies