Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It could cause some of the same problems as single parenting. That's my concern.

Adoption is different from having children biologically, since it's already restricted by states.
What problem would it cause? I grew up in a single household and I have no problems I know tons of people that grew up in a single households and have no problems. I know people who grew up with both parents and have done stints in jail. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
What problem would it cause? I grew up in a single household and I have no problems I know tons of people that grew up in a single households and have no problems. I know people who grew up with both parents and have done stints in jail. What's your point?
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=5654

http://www.scoutreachbsa.org/resources/11-309/index.html (broken link)

http://cnbpinc.ning.com/profiles/blogs/briefing-report-the-failure-of (broken link)

http://www.speroforum.com/site/print.asp?idarticle=6317

Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
What would Wanda think if someone wished for her "kiddies" to fail?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=5654

Single Parent Families (http://www.scoutreachbsa.org/resources/11-309/index.html - broken link)

Briefing Report: The Failure of the Single-Parent Home - Children Need Both Parents (http://cnbpinc.ning.com/profiles/blogs/briefing-report-the-failure-of - broken link)

Spero News: Children in single parent households
none of what you posted has any scientific backing. Just because a child is from a single parent home does not mean they are going to have problems and just because a child has both parents does not mean they are going to be perfect and have the best upbringing. Show me scientific data done by universities,psychologists,sociologists, and cultural anthropologists that states otherwise

Old 05-14-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
none of what you posted has any scientific backing. Just because a child is from a single parent home does not mean they are going to have problems and just because a child has both parents does not mean they are going to be perfect and have the best upbringing. Show me scientific data done by universities,psychologists,sociologists, and cultural anthropologists that states otherwise
"Children growing up in single-parent homes are at twice the risk of developing serious psychiatric illnesses and addictions later on, according to a comprehensive new Swedish study in the British medical journal Lancet."

That's from #1 on the list.

Here's another one:

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pubs/experiments.php

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-14-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
"Children growing up in single-parent homes are at twice the risk of developing serious psychiatric illnesses and addictions later on, according to a comprehensive new Swedish study in the British medical journal Lancet."

That's from #1 on the list.

Single parents are a hell of a lot different then gay couples parenting. In single parent households there is often more financial stress not to mention the stress of being the sole parent --- in other words, no hope for a 'hand off'. Plus most single parents date which brings further complications.
Homosexual couples who adopt are - like hetero couples that adopt - financialy secure and emotional stable. In other words - no dating drama going on.

I hate to break it to you, but really comparing single moms to married homosexual couples is wrong.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Single parents are a hell of a lot different then gay couples parenting. In single parent households there is often more financial stress not to mention the stress of being the sole parent --- in other words, no hope for a 'hand off'. Plus most single parents date which brings further complications.
Homosexual couples who adopt are - like hetero couples that adopt - financialy secure and emotional stable. In other words - no dating drama going on.

I hate to break it to you, but really comparing single moms to married homosexual couples is wrong.
I understand, but there is a legitimate concern that lacking a parent of either sex may be a factor as well.

It's not all about finances.

I should add that my mother was financially stable as a single parent, but I still would have given anything to have had a father. I missed out on a lot.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Single parents are a hell of a lot different then gay couples parenting.

agreed.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Children growing up in single-parent homes are at twice the risk of developing serious psychiatric illnesses and addictions later on, according to a comprehensive
ok? big deal a child growing up with both mommy and daddy whom scream at each other every day, mommy is never there, and daddy has a drinking probably will be fracked up too. It doesn't matter if kid is raised by two chicks, one guy, heterosexual couple or a whole damn village it has more to do with the environment i.e how they are being treated, are they having their basic needs met etc. that will determine that childs future.

edit: by the way the article you posted states that it is environment and how the kid is raised that causes the problems

Last edited by nitokenshi; 05-14-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 10:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
What would Wanda think if someone wished for her "kiddies" to fail?
That kind of thinking only takes place at liberal type banquets like the one she told her "joke" at. Only liberals think of things like that and she is not only homo but also very liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies