Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, that all depends on circumstances.
A 5% return/year on $100,000 over 10 years would have resulted in $162,889 right now.
$100,000 invested in the DOW 10 years ago would have resulted in holdings of $77,250 right now.

Ken
And $100K invested in a note, at 8% yields: $215,892.50
$100K invested in a NNN leased property yields around $400K.. etc

And no, $100K invested in the DOW 10 years ago doestn mean everyone ends up with $77,250... I'll be up 50% from Tuesday to this Saturday.. and no, its not every week, but I cant name a down month for me ever.

In addition, if you die at age 50, how much money do you have to show for all your work? ZERO..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:32 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And no, $100K invested in the DOW 10 years ago doestn mean everyone ends up with $77,250.
They do if they are in a DOW Indexed fund

DOW 10 years ago - 10,559
DOW today - 8,331

Even worse for the S&P:
S&P 500 10 years ago - 1,301
S&P 500 today - 893

Quote:
I'll be up 50% from Tuesday to this Saturday.. and no, its not every week, but I cant name a down month for me ever.
Maybe, maybe not.
We just have your word for that don't we.

Quote:
In addition, if you die at age 50, how much money do you have to show for all your work? ZERO..
BS.
Your survivors get your benefits.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 01-31-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not.
We just have your word for that don't we.
Considering that I've stated my position here several days ago, to one of your postings, its easily verifiable..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/8791861-post34.html
Quote:
BS.
Your survivors get your benefits.

Ken
Survivors do not get your benefits if you die before collecting SS. They get THEIR benefits..

Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No the rate of return on SS is around 5%. It's not meant to be a retirement account....only a safety net for those who didn't plan for retirement.

Are you one of these know-nothings that come around about once a Month on City Data and spout all these dire predictions about SS and truth be told you don't have ANYTHING to back up your right wing programming???
SS a safety net ay... I'll take care of my own safety net thank you. Don't need your liberal BS dictating to me what is best for ME and I sure don't need to pay for YOUR liberal ass that hasn't the brains enough to blow a fart let alone think or do for yourself !

You must be an idiot as I and most have thought... Your post answers that question perfectly . I don't recall EVER making any predictions about SS and I don't require anything to back up my right wing programming as I have no such programming. I am a simple person wanting to live my life without Gov interference and programs shoved up my ass designed by Americans just like and including you that seem to not have the ability or are too lazy to do for yourself ! You need the Gov to do it for you. If you only had enough brains to open your eyes...

This country was created by the self sufficient and strong... it's a shame the road America has traveled the last century and a half . Our forefathers are not proud at this moment... but then again they did predict our position of sort !

Those guys were intellegent... you on the other hand...

Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Considering that I've stated my position here several days ago, to one of your postings, its easily verifiable..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/8791861-post34.html
How does that post in any way, shape or form prove how successful your investing is?

Again, you have just your word that you've been that successful investing.
On the internet EVERYONE is rich, good-looking and has a hot spouse.

The fact is, while 5% is a pretty modest gain - it's a LOT more gain than the massive losses investing in an indexed fund has produced over the last 10 years - and 5% is appropriate for a "safety net" investment fund. Social Security was never designed to be a way to "retire rich" - it was designed as a way to keep older folks from being destitute in their old age or if they've injured or fall sick - and for that, it's worked quite well.

Can you do better investing on your own?
Maybe - that all depends on how much effort you put into it, how smart your are, and (quite frankly) how much luck you have. If you've done well - well then good for you, but I'm sure there are PLENTY of people out there who've lost a bundle - not even counting those who been scammed by folks like Madoff and lost everything. Those folks would be thrilled with a "mere" 5% gain.

Ken

Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
How does that post in any way, shape or form prove how successful your investing is?
How does me telling you what I owned at that time, and you having the ability to lookup the price then, and now, to compare the value, tell you what type of % I made?

For the record, I have a crap load of GM QV (which increase in profit as they decrease in value), yesterday they were valued at $.08, today they are valued at $.04, tomorrow end of day they will be worth $0.. unless GM closes under $1. Anyone can look at the time of that posting and verify the price, and look at the price of them now to see that its the truth. I cant go back 24 hours and change postings..
Quote:
The fact is, while 5% is a pretty modest gain - it's a LOT more gain than the massive losses investing in an indexed fund has produced over the last 10 years - and 5% is appropriate for a "safety net" investment fund. Social Security was never designed to be a way to "retire rich" - it was designed as a way to keep older folks from being destitute in their old age or if they've injured or fall sick - and for that, it's worked quite well.

Can you do better investing on your own?
Maybe - that all depends on how much effort you put into it, how smart your are, and (quite frankly) how much luck you have. If you've done well - well then good for you, but I'm sure there are PLENTY of people out there who've lost a bundle - not even counting those who been scammed by folks like Madoff and lost everything. Those folks would be thrilled with a "mere" 5% gain.

Ken
And again, if you DIE.. whats your return under SS? Hint, its negative 100%

Last edited by pghquest; 05-14-2009 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Social Security = Ponzi Scheme

Ida Fuller, SS #000-00-0001, payout $22,888.92 for a $24.75 payin

Ida May Fuller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It pays to get in early on any Ponzi Scheme. Of course, I should correct myself. SS is worse than a Ponzi Scheme since you're forced to invest in it. Bernie Madoff never forcibly took money, it took a chump to give it to him.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
SS a safety net ay... I'll take care of my own safety net thank you. Don't need your liberal BS dictating to me what is best for ME and I sure don't need to pay for YOUR liberal ass that hasn't the brains enough to blow a fart let alone think or do for yourself !

You must be an idiot as I and most have thought... Your post answers that question perfectly . I don't recall EVER making any predictions about SS and I don't require anything to back up my right wing programming as I have no such programming. I am a simple person wanting to live my life without Gov interference and programs shoved up my ass designed by Americans just like and including you that seem to not have the ability or are too lazy to do for yourself ! You need the Gov to do it for you. If you only had enough brains to open your eyes...

This country was created by the self sufficient and strong... it's a shame the road America has traveled the last century and a half . Our forefathers are not proud at this moment... but then again they did predict our position of sort !

Those guys were intellegent... you on the other hand...
If you don't like paying SS or taxes - don't.
You are certainly free to move up to Alaska and hunt and fish for living.
Nothing stopping you.
You can also leave the country (assuming some other country will take you).
Again, nothing stopping you.
If you don't want to be a part of society or to pay taxes or SS - you don't have to.

I say "Go for it!"

Ken

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
How does me telling you what I own, and you having the ability to lookup the price then, and now, to compare the value, tell you what type of % I made?
Does that prove you ACTUALLY did that - that you bought at that price?
No.
Again, it's just your word you made those investments.
I can always I bought Microsoft at $1/share wayyyyyyy back when.
That doesn't make it true.

Quote:
For the record, I have a crap load of GM puts (which increase in profit as they decrease in value), yesterday they were valued at $.08, today they are valued at $.04, tomorrow end of day they will be worth $0.. do the math unless GM pretty much goes bankrupt.. (has to close $1 or over)
So you claim.

Quote:
And again, if you DIE.. whats your Return?
For YOU - zero (but again, if you are dead - what does it matter?)
For your SURVIVORS - well, that depends on what their existing benefit is vs what YOUR benefit would have been (they get which ever one is greater). IF your survivors had never worked, they'll get your full benefit.

Ken

Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Does that prove you ACTUALLY did that - that you bought at that price?
No.
No, it doesnt prove that I actually bought it yesterday but has the profit gone the other way, I'd be pretty much opening myself up to ridicule..
Quote:
Again, it's just your word you made those investments.
I can always I bought Microsoft at $1/share wayyyyyyy back when.
That doesn't make it true.
If you had some thread somewhere saying you were buying Microsoft at $1.. I'd be more up to believing you, after all, there is a record prior to the increase what I was doing.. Anyone could have followed along and profited.. Did you make the trade? No, but if you did, you also would have made 50%. The difference between your claiming that you could have bought Microsoft, and me claiming that I did buy (technically sell) GM QV, is that I made my claim prior to the rise in value and didnt retroactively make a claim. Dont believe me, I dont care, but there is no doubt that the value increased 50% in just 24 hours and it will do it again tomorrow. (unless GM closes under $1). Hell, I'm even telling you what it will be valued at tomorrow, It'll end at $.01, and by Saturday settle and be worthless, i.e. 100% profit on income, a 50% ROI for the 3 days hold..
Quote:
For YOU - zero (but again, if you are dead - what does it matter?)
For your SURVIVORS - well, that depends on what their existing benefit is vs what YOUR benefit would have been (they get which ever one is greater). IF your survivors had never worked, they'll get your full benefit.
Ken
Whats it matter if someone who pays into SS dies and get nothing back, vs someone who dies and puts money in the bank, leaving their family something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies