Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can only Black people be called African Americans?
Yes 82 43.39%
No 97 51.32%
Unsure 7 3.70%
Other 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Unless we have seen photos or videos of Hannibal, neither you (who says he was blond) or me (who has seen depictions of him in which he was darker, with black curly hair) knows what his ancestry really was or what he looked like. But let me ask you this? Who depicted Hannibal as a blond "European?"
I did NOT say Hannibal was blond. He had dark curly hair.

I said 90% of European whites are NOT blond, and the overwhelming majority of whites have dark hair.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone defined what is "black?"
You are on point........but we know what it is for purposes of this thread..............

Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I did NOT say Hannibal was blond. He had dark curly hair.

I said 90% of European whites are NOT blond, and the overwhelming majority of whites have dark hair.
I apologize for the error.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
you can reinvent yourself every 20 minutes if you wana.
but what is important --all important ---is your attitude and conduct not what what you have forced others to call you.
i have a dream
signed
a non white

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you can reinvent yourself every 20 minutes if you wana.
but what is important --all important ---is your attitude and conduct not what what you have forced others to call you.
i have a dream
signed
a non white

It's not that important, I have found. People look at you and see whatever they want to see.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:57 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Germany is a specific country in Europe. Asia and Africa are continents.

African Americans use this term because we do not know where in Africa our ancestors came from. The term Asian American is different; it is a blanket term for all Asians in America, not a specific ethnic term. Korean-, Chinese-, Japanese- and Thai-Americans know specifically where their roots are. Not so African Americans. If you come from somewhere specifically in Africa, you are Nigerian-, Senegalese-, Mozambican-American. African American is used to describe a specific group of people, a group of Americans descended from Black Africans specifically brought here during times of slavery.

Not every black person is African American. Afro-Caribbean and many Latino people are black but not African American. Not every person from Africa is black, but every African American, by definition, is.
African-American as the term is used by you and others is absurd and defies logic, but that's how this foolish political correctness typically ends up. You use it as a term for people of a specific race living in America. A more correct term would be Black for that purpose. African-American is as much a blanket term as Asian-American. It applies to anyone from Africa living in America. And obviously "African-American" makes no sense for being used for anyone not in America. A Chinese-American or Korean-American can most definately still call themselves an Asian-American if they want even though they know where their roots are.

So what do you call Blacks who came here not during a time of slavery?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
You are on point........but we know what it is for purposes of this thread..............
Oh, indeedly I do!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
At one time there were no "White" People in America until the English, Scotch Irish, German,Spanish, Swiss, all united to Kill Indians. It took the Irish a little longer to become White People. What People call them selves is related to a shared history and less what they are. like being a Jew who might be an Arab, or a Soviet who is not a Russian. The very people who will complain about "What are they calling them selves this week" are the ones who will look at us and not see a "White Person" no matter how much we share with them. In the old days Native Americans called us Black White men and I think that says a lot.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 AM

[quote=arctichomesteader;8823051]
Quote:
African-American as the term is used by you and others is absurd and defies logic
How so? Trying to compare different experiences of peoples who came to America under vastly different circumstances, and attempting to apply the same conditions and standards to said experiences is absurd to me.......

Quote:
, but that's how this foolish political correctness typically ends up.
Please explain this further. I don't get it.

Quote:
You use it as a term for people of a specific race living in America. A more correct term would be Black for that purpose.

No, it is not a term for people of a specific race. It is a term for people of a specific ethnicity, although in order to be part of this ethnic group, you do have to be part of a specific race. There are many black people from Cuba, Jamaica, Canada, Senegal, Fiji, etc.......who are not African American. What is so complicated about this?

Quote:
African-American is as much a blanket term as Asian-American. It applies to anyone from Africa living in America.
It most certainly is not, and it does not apply in the way you state.

Quote:
And obviously "African-American" makes no sense for being used for anyone not in America.
Well, you got that one right.

Quote:
A Chinese-American or Korean-American can most definately still call themselves an Asian-American if they want even though they know where their roots are.
Sure they can. But that is not the point. There are no Asian descendants in America who have no idea what country their ancestors came from. Sure, they can call themselves Asian American. But nobody uses that as an ethnic term for them.

Quote:
So what do you call Blacks who came here not during a time of slavery?
I use their name if I know it............as far as the ethnic term goes, it depends on many factors. For example, many people came to the US from Cape Verde in the late 1800s, early 1900s and afterward. All are of African descent. Many of the descendants of these folks, in fact most of them, whose families have been in the US for three or even four generations, call themselves African American. Some more recent arrivals choose to be called Cape Verdean. So it is a complex question, but at the end of the day, the definition of African American is still pretty simple.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
No, it is not a term for people of a specific race. It is a term for people of a specific ethnicity, although in order to be part of this ethnic group, you do have to be part of a specific race. There are many black people from Cuba, Jamaica, Canada, Senegal, Fiji, etc.......who are not African American. What is so complicated about this
As you are using it, it is. There are many ethnicities from Africa. Not all Blacks from Africa even are of the same ethnicity. You and other PC people are simply using African-American as a replacement term for Black or, the older term, Negro. In other words, a reference to race. Which is an incorrect way to use the term.

Quote:
Sure they can. But that is not the point. There are no Asian descendants in America who have no idea what country their ancestors came from. Sure, they can call themselves Asian American. But nobody uses that as an ethnic term for them.
You see no contradiction here? You believe anyone from Asia can call themselves Asian-American regardless of country, but anyone from Africa can't call themselves African-American?

Quote:
So it is a complex question, but at the end of the day, the definition of African American is still pretty simple.
Not a complex question at all, and the definition is simple. An African-American is anyone from Africa, or whose family was from Africa, living in America. Just as an Asian-American is anyone from Asia in America, a European-American is anyone from Europe, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies