Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 07:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times

Advertisements

Abortion would cease to exist if men kept their pants zipped except for within marriage.

Seems so easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Here's some abortion statistics from 2005. Yes, it was 4 years ago but there have been no dramatic changes in women since then. Please note WHO gets abortions...all ages, all religions , all colors (mostly white), MARRIED, (mostly) unmarried, for all kinds of reasons.

Abortion Statistics - U.S. (Compiled by The Alan Guttmacher Institute)
[SIZE=2]Approximately 1,370,000 elective abortions occur annually in the U.S.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 88% of abortions occur during the first 6 to 12 weeks of pregnancy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 60% of abortions are performed on women who already have one or more children.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 47% of abortions are performed on women who have already had one or more abortions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 43% of women will have had at least one abortion by the time they are 45 years old (this statistic includes miscarriages in the term "abortion"). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Abortion Statistics - Demographics[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Age - 52% of women getting an abortion are younger than 25 years old and 19% are teenagers. The abortion rate is highest for those women aged 18 to 19 (56 per 1,000 in 1992.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Marriage - 51% of women who are unmarried when they become pregnant will receive an abortion. Unmarried women are 6 times more likely than married women to have an abortion. 67% of abortions are from women who have never been married.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Race - 63% of abortion patients are white. African-American women are more than 3 times as likely to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are 2.5 times as likely.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Religion - 43% of women getting an abortion identify as Protestant & 27% Catholic.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Abortion Statistics - Decisions to Have an Abortion (U.S.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 25.5% of women deciding to have an abortion want to postpone childbearing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 21.3% of women cannot afford a baby.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 14.1% of women have a relationship issue or their partner does not want a child.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 12.2% of women are too young (their parents or others object to the pregnancy.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 10.8% of women feel a child will disrupt their education or career.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 7.9% of women want no (more) children.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 3.3% of women have an abortion due to a risk to fetal health.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 2.8% of women have an abortion due to a risk to maternal health.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Abortion Statistics - Using Contraception (U.S.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]54% of women having an abortion said they used some form of contraception during the month they became pregnant.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]90% of women who are at risk for unplanned pregnancies are using contraception[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]8% of women having an abortion say they have never used contraception. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]It is possible that up to 43% of the decline in abortion from 1994-2000 can be attributed to using emergency contraception.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Availability[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Approximately 86% of all U.S. counties had no abortion provider.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Approximately 32% of women of reproductive age live in a county without an abortion provider.[/SIZE]

Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Abortion would cease to exist if men kept their pants zipped except for within marriage.

Seems so easy.
Wouldn't the same be for women who kept their legs closed or does a women get a pass responsibility in this matter?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:03 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I'm staunchly pro-choice but I think late-term abortions should be illegal except in instances of rape, incest or health of the mother. That's why you have folks gravitating to pro-life... because people despise the idea of a late-term abortion upon demand. I think it's outrageous.
Agreed...same here. By the time the second or third trimester have been reached, you should have made your choice. It's too late at that point.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:

Seems so easy.
Monogamous married women get abortions. Always have, always will.

Back in the days before Roe v Wade, D&Cs were common operations among married women. Some -- many? -- of them were done for no other reason than to end an unwanted pregnancy.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Here's some abortion statistics from 2005. Yes, it was 4 years ago but there have been no dramatic changes in women since then. Please note WHO gets abortions...all ages, all religions , all colors (mostly white), MARRIED, (mostly) unmarried, for all kinds of reasons.

Abortion Statistics - U.S. (Compiled by The Alan Guttmacher Institute)
[SIZE=2]Approximately 1,370,000 elective abortions occur annually in the U.S.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 88% of abortions occur during the first 6 to 12 weeks of pregnancy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 60% of abortions are performed on women who already have one or more children.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 47% of abortions are performed on women who have already had one or more abortions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 43% of women will have had at least one abortion by the time they are 45 years old (this statistic includes miscarriages in the term "abortion"). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Abortion Statistics - Demographics[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Age - 52% of women getting an abortion are younger than 25 years old and 19% are teenagers. The abortion rate is highest for those women aged 18 to 19 (56 per 1,000 in 1992.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Marriage - 51% of women who are unmarried when they become pregnant will receive an abortion. Unmarried women are 6 times more likely than married women to have an abortion. 67% of abortions are from women who have never been married.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Race - 63% of abortion patients are white. African-American women are more than 3 times as likely to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are 2.5 times as likely.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· Religion - 43% of women getting an abortion identify as Protestant & 27% Catholic.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Abortion Statistics - Decisions to Have an Abortion (U.S.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 25.5% of women deciding to have an abortion want to postpone childbearing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 21.3% of women cannot afford a baby.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 14.1% of women have a relationship issue or their partner does not want a child.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 12.2% of women are too young (their parents or others object to the pregnancy.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 10.8% of women feel a child will disrupt their education or career.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 7.9% of women want no (more) children.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 3.3% of women have an abortion due to a risk to fetal health.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]· 2.8% of women have an abortion due to a risk to maternal health.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Abortion Statistics - Using Contraception (U.S.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]54% of women having an abortion said they used some form of contraception during the month they became pregnant.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]90% of women who are at risk for unplanned pregnancies are using contraception[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]8% of women having an abortion say they have never used contraception. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]It is possible that up to 43% of the decline in abortion from 1994-2000 can be attributed to using emergency contraception.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Availability[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Approximately 86% of all U.S. counties had no abortion provider.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Approximately 32% of women of reproductive age live in a county without an abortion provider.[/SIZE]

OK, now this totally p*ss*s me off!

43% of women will have had at least one abortion by the time they are 45 years old (this statistic includes miscarriages in the term "abortion"). [/SIZE]

How can any of this data be trustworthy if they are lumping miscarriages in with abortion?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 AM

306 posts, read 476,049 times
Quote:

Seems so easy.
Not true. Many abortions are done for married women above the age of 40.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
OK, now this totally p*ss*s me off!

43% of women will have had at least one abortion by the time they are 45 years old (this statistic includes miscarriages in the term "abortion"). [/SIZE]

How can any of this data be trustworthy if they are lumping miscarriages in with abortion?
In THAT instance they are and indicate it. Not in the other statistics.

And you are welcome to find statistics of your own to prove women of ALL colors, income levels, religions, marriage status, ages,etc., get abortions.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:50 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
In THAT instance they are and indicate it. Not in the other statistics.

And you are welcome to find statistics of your own to prove women of ALL colors, income levels, religions, marriage status, ages,etc., get abortions.
I've no doubt that women of all races, ages and socio-economic backgrounds have had abortions.
But I do question why whoever it was that made that particular survey lumped together women who have had abortions and miscarriages. What was the point?
For instance, when they say 1.37 million women have had abortions in 2005 I have to question how many of those were miscarriages. Also the fact that 47% of women have had a prior abortion. Again, do they mean repeat miscarriage or abortion?

Please don't think I am trying to say that you personally are giving bad information --- I don't think that at all. I just am very curious (and I have to admit, I do take this too personally) why miscarriage and abortion would ever be placed together for statistical data regarding abortion rates. It just makes no sense.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I've no doubt that women of all races, ages and socio-economic backgrounds have had abortions.
But I do question why whoever it was that made that particular survey lumped together women who have had abortions and miscarriages. What was the point?
For instance, when they say 1.37 million women have had abortions in 2005 I have to question how many of those were miscarriages. Also the fact that 47% of women have had a prior abortion. Again, do they mean repeat miscarriage or abortion?

Please don't think I am trying to say that you personally are giving bad information --- I don't think that at all. I just am very curious (and I have to admit, I do take this too personally) why miscarriage and abortion would ever be placed together for statistical data regarding abortion rates. It just makes no sense.
In that ONE instance they indicate it...that ONE instance.

As I said, YOU can google stats anytime.......I think you'll find the general point is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies