Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times

Advertisements

I wholeheartly agree with Lilypad on this issue, 100 percent.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Refering to people "as trashy" really doesn't sit well with me. It makes it sound like some people inherently have no value. I strongly disagree with this. All have value. That said I think our society in general has placed our values on the wrong things; acquiring money, and "stuff". And who we admire such as sports heroes (don't get me wrong I am an avid sports fan), and movie stars.

I think we have gotten away with what is important and the people in general reflect societies values. But trashy?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:16 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... I still agree with you & my original thoughts, regardless of some opinions here. I work with teenagers every day (I'm a teen librarian), and they really aren't that bad! Not all are like what you see on MTV, and many have similar interests and values like we had - just with the addition of computers/gadgets.

Speaking of which, one teen made me feel REALLY old the other day... she asked what year I was born, and when I responded 1976, her eyes got huge & she said - "So you grew up during the 80s?? That must have been soooo cool, like I've seen in those old movies!" Oy vey.
lolololol

Thanks for my morning laugh.

"..like I've seen in those old movies"......."shuddap ya lil #$/%!" lol

~T

Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
So .... we're not blaming the Baby Boomers?

Why not?

Good question considering that these "trashy" people didn't raise themselves.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times
Well, that may be true, but when your an adult, then it is your responsiblity to fix things and improve your life, or else your to blame...maybe not in the beginning, we can't help that life brings thorns for some and roses for others, but we can help it later in life, if we want to do better for us and our next geneations, no excuse for people to be bums.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Maybe it is just me getting older and a generation gap, but it seems, to me, that American society has really gone down hill. As a fairly respectable person it seems like the number of people who are just plain trashy has reached an all time high. I run into people with ever increasing frequency that appear to have no respect for themselves or anyone around them. No I have no scientific evidence, but just a gut feeling.

I have talked about my feelings with relatives and friends who are teachers at suburban schools. Many have taught for 30 or more years and are convinced that society has really gone down hill and it gets worse each and every year. There are more disturbed kids who reject authority and have no interest in learning or growing as an individuals.

Is this the end of America? Or just the rantings of a middle aged man who misses the good old days?
Things are getting harder. I believe the reason many youth today don't respect authority has to do with the lack of trust towards authority, especially with some of the controversy with some people who are in authority. Many youth see that and assume all authority is bad and untrustworthy, therefore have no regard for authority.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Consumerism, corruption, multiculturalism...they're all destroying this society. It won't be the end of the world, just the end of the US.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Refering to people "as trashy" really doesn't sit well with me. It makes it sound like some people inherently have no value. I strongly disagree with this. All have value. That said I think our society in general has placed our values on the wrong things; acquiring money, and "stuff". And who we admire such as sports heroes (don't get me wrong I am an avid sports fan), and movie stars.

I think we have gotten away with what is important and the people in general reflect societies values. But trashy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Consumerism, corruption, multiculturalism...they're all destroying this society. It won't be the end of the world, just the end of the US.
I agree with both of these statements, except the multiculturalism part. What it boils down to is GREED.

Cupidity will be the culprit of our demise.

Everyone wants to be rich and famous. The easy way. These days you can be YouTube famous.

Rappers: Who has the biggest most expensive cars, bling, grills, and the girls with the fattest a$$.

Corporate greed: Shipping American jobs overseas, the lack of accountability and unethical corporate behavior.

Athletes: Semiliterate Multi-millionaire crybabies. No loyalty, just want that phat contract and to heck with everything.

I'd hate to see the world my son will live in.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Multiculturalism is a nice concept, but it doesn't work in practice because it goes against human nature. Humans need a defined culture. It's what makes us tick. It's what fosters a strong, lasting society. In the US, we have no culture. We're told how we should act and feel, but it has no meaning to most of us.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:59 AM

99 posts, read 351,137 times
Default Gettin' my post on (joke)

LeavingFlorida hit it on the nose above. I am 30 years old and here is my
take on the whole thing. I have said the same thing about society going
down hill. I asked myself the same question...is it just me getting older?
While that will always play a part in a persons life as they get older, I believe we are on a much faster decline than usual. Without pointing fingers at specific races, or generations etc. the main problem is people have a lack
of values. In my opinion that is parallel with religion which I will explain later.
There are too many dumb, lazy, useless people making babies they have no
business having, and then they don't raise them to be decent members of society, then that process repeats!!! Them along with people who have no business being in this country who are also having babies. They are taking up state and federal aid from people who might actually need it and "deserve it". They are raising our interest rates, health care costs etc. while making overall quality of life less and less, and day to day more stressful on good people who are out there trying to do the right things. People have become more materialistic, and self centered which can be blamed on bad parenting as well as media for putting Puff Daddy and Paris HIlton on the top of the list for people kids will look up to as heroes!! Gluttony and ingnorance at its finest!! I have told people to rent the movie Idiocracy by Mike judge, because it is hilarious and mirrors exactly what we are talking about as far as
where society is now and where it will end up on it's current heading!

My parents always told me "the bad ones ruin it for the good ones". That can apply to so many things. Another big factor is obviously greed by politicians and business people. If they believed in God and had any honor, or morals at all they would go about life with some dignity !! We are seeing
less and less of that and as corruption spreads it gets more common. Some people don't have a concience. This goes for everyone from the president,
who obviously has screwed us over on many things for the wrong reasons, all
the way down the line to car salesmen who will do anything to decieve and
make an extra buck even if it could financially ruin someone for years. Then you have all kinds of schemes and scams in the mortgage industry leading to
all kinds of problems with housing and real estate market. Here is the answer to the problem.... spread the word.

-A hard days work is when you get off your lazy behind and work hard for at
least 8+ hours per day for at least 5 days a week. That will earn you money
for things you will then deserve, and give you a sense of worth. That work you do is all you are so do it right and have some dignity. You will likely never be rich, you may see less qualified, less deserving, less talented people making more than you, suck it up. You get out what you put in, work hard and focus more on being happy than rich.

-Don't have kids if you are too young, broke, lazy etc. to raise them. There is birth control out there for all needs, and now even the morning after pill for accidents. If you are someone who shouldn't make babies and you do by accident, have the decency to grow up and work hard to be responsable and teach said kids not to make the same mistake. (this process will weed out many of society's losers and bottomfeeders). If you are a parent you will need to spend time with your kids, show them love, take them to church, teach them respect for elders/women/fellow man, teach them about taking responsibility for their actions, help them in school, give up your own life to be there to shape theirs. Then we will have less people taking up space making garbage etc, and the ones we do have will have some sense!!

From here on it is going to sound like the 10 commandments so encourage people to get a bible or something. The majority of people are locked in
the matrix of ignorance, they believe what they hear and see, and are
swayed by media and advertising. Ignorance is bliss and the majority of
people have very low standards.

* I believe that the people on this board are mostly decent people so even this post won't do much good. On the bright side I think we have several hundred years before we self destruct. Also in any one persons life of say 80 years I think you will for the most part be able to deal with the decline during
your time, you may have to move around to avoid it but it will be possible for
the next several generations to have a semi-tolerable existence (maybe?).

Sorry this is long and running on all over the place ....but in closing.

-respect your elders.

-love your kids and raise them!

-be responsable.

-If you are on public aid you shouldnt have a new car or designer clothes!!

-NO MORE EBONICS USAGE BY OLD WHITE PEOPLE OR IN COMMERCIALS

Basically people just need to treat others how they want to be treated, and
stop being soooo shallow!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies