Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times

Advertisements

Great visual of US Defense spending in comparison to other Nations.

US partners in Western Europe alone spend 50% more than China/Russia combined.

Matthew Yglesias » US Defense Spending In Context

We cannot afford this. Military spending should be cut by 25% at the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

These figures I'm assuming do include the fact that we are fighting 2 wars, and no other country is doing so. btw, lets compare this spending to social spending, since your saying we cant afford this, I'm assuming you'll then support cuts in social spending which is even more.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:50 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
Slightly misleading chart. It needs to take into account the PPP of the country especially in the case of China. The $70 or so billion USD that China is spending goes a lot further then it does it the US.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
I find this chart more frightening --- the numbers on the left represent % of GDP...

http://tammybruce.com/Maynard/FedOut1950-2075.gif (broken link)

Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
so you want to have another 1,000,000 people on unemployment?

Quote:

Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
A country that spends so much on war cannot proclaim that its intentions are peaceful. We are a country that loves (thrives, lusts, drools, get me a thesaurus!) on W-A-R and its profitable benefits. "It's good for business!" The ONLY motivation for supporting spending on a military is FEAR. It's the overhead anvil that forces most of us to accept that large amount being robbed from our weekly paychecks without a fight. It's so obvious militaries (aka the corporations and the elite) create enemies for profit. They use war to thin out the herd and weed out all the weak (aka peaceful) people. Obviously, I'm a butter before guns kind of guy.

You cannot get rid of your enemies by killing them. You can only get rid of your enemies by LOVING them.
(So much cheaper, too!)

Last edited by mhouse2001; 05-15-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
so you want to have another 1,000,000 people on unemployment?
If you are worried about jobs them by all means use the money for research and development of renewable energy sources and infrascture projects within the US.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These figures I'm assuming do include the fact that we are fighting 2 wars, and no other country is doing so. btw, lets compare this spending to social spending, since your saying we cant afford this, I'm assuming you'll then support cuts in social spending which is even more.
No I'm not supporting cuts in social programs. I'm wanting the Defense budget cuts to go towards decreasing deficit spending. ie debt service

There is nothing hypocritcal about it.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Slightly misleading chart. It needs to take into account the PPP of the country especially in the case of China. The $70 or so billion USD that China is spending goes a lot further then it does it the US.
Astute point

I got this from Wikipedia and is seems reasonable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

"In 2009, the US Department of Defense's annual report to Congress on China's military strength offered several estimates of actual 2008 Chinese military spending. In terms of the prevailing exchange rate, Pentagon estimates range between US$105 and US$150 billion,the second highest in the world after the US."

It is still a huge contrast.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
If you are worried about jobs them by all means use the money for research and development of renewable energy sources and infrascture projects within the US.
Ahem, where do you think most new technology comes from? Where do you think the original development for nuclear and wind power comes from? What about biofuels? What is the largest R&D department run by the US? Where did most civil engineering standards originate?

FYI, American soldiers are paid (+ benefits) a hell of a lot more than those of other countries, especially China. Plus, it costs a lot more to manufacture a tank/weapons in the US than through cheap Chinese labor.

That does not even include the fact that we are currently involved with two occupations and sustain multiple peacekeeping operations.

For comparison, why not add up all of the bailout/stimulus money and see how much it amounts to . At least through the military there are respectable jobs and training for jobs that translates to the civilian labor workforce.. How many stimulus projects provide stable, sustainable careers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies