Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:20 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times

Advertisements

I do too and I think laws can be pushed through to make it available to younger girls to cover the 14 or 15 yr olds like was mentioned. Obama himself said he wanted to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Obama's response:

"... What I was saying was that my daughters are 9 and 6. And so if, at the age of 12 or 13, they made what I would consider to be a mistake, in having sex or unprotected sex, and ended up getting pregnant - I think that statistically we know 12- or 13-year-olds who are having children are much more likely to be impoverished, are much more likely to have health problems, are much more likely to have trouble raising that child."

I'm thinking he would gladly agree if this was available for younger girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 12:20 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
The only 100% sure way to not get pregnant is NOT to have sex, consensual or nonconsensual.

Rape victim, incest victims, mentally ill/handicapped women, don't always go to the authorities because of fear, shame, displaced guilt, lack of knowledge, lack of support, etc.

Women do get diagnosed with illnesses after pregnancy that are life threatening. Terminating the pregnancy in such cases can save or lenghten the life of the woman.

There is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to pregnancy.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
The only 100% sure way to not get pregnant is NOT to have sex, consensual or nonconsensual.

Rape victim, incest victims, mentally ill/handicapped women, don't always go to the authorities because of fear, shame, displaced guilt, lack of knowledge, lack of support, etc.

Women do get diagnosed with illnesses after pregnancy that are life threatening. Terminating the pregnancy in such cases can save or lenghten the life of the woman.

You are right and I have said repeatedly that there is no 100% fool proof solution. But at least with this, if a woman is raped, incest victims,etc. it doesn't matter if they tell or not. That is their decision. But they still can go get these pills and take them and prevent making a horrible situation worse.

It is a powerful tool for women to empower them and take back control of a situation.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Good posts, especially reminding some of the participants about the "process" and what "non-fertilized" egg means....yet another example, I believe, of why it is important to learn/educate oneself before making statements and judgments.

There can be a few ooops---someone using a condom and it breaks; a vastectomy that did not work; a tubal ligation that did not work (since neither are completely 100%); one of my friends had three birth control babies; 1st was the pill, 2nd was an IUD and the last one was her diaphram...for myself, I don't think abortion is a means of birth control, however I do certainly believe in choice and the ability for a woman to obtain the morning after pill as well.

Great post!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
You are right and I have said repeatedly that there is no 100% fool proof solution. But at least with this, if a woman is raped, incest victims,etc. it doesn't matter if they tell or not. That is their decision. But they still can go get these pills and take them and prevent making a horrible situation worse.

It is a powerful tool for women to empower them and take back control of a situation.
OMG!! Do you think outside that box?? Re-read what I posted! What nine year old child is going to walk into a pharmacy and ask for Plan B after the trauma of Uncle Jim or Daddy or Big Brother or neighborhood babysitter raping her? What mentally ill or handicapped child woman is going to walk into a pharmacy and ask for Plan B after the trauma of rape? Are you aware that there are children and women who are subjected to repetitive rape? There are children and women who are prisoners of their assailants for days or longer. Plan B is great for that 'oops' but it is not THE answer to a 'uplanned' pregnancy. What about the pregnancy that will result in the death of the woman if she is forced to continue the pregnancy?

Abortion is not THE answer but it has to be part of the answer.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most the unwed girls having babies today do so because they know about the welfare programs available to them if they have a baby. They have them deliberately.
it's the sad truth!!! 1-chiching 2- chiching 3-chiching 4-chiching 5-chiching-6 and even maybe.....7-chiching!!!!!! it's all about the chiching

Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
All of this is irrelevant . . . planned or unplanned, a woman's right to privacy gives her the right to control what goes on in her body. If she has a planned pregnancy, but for whatever reason, changes her mind, she should be entitled to terminate the pregnancy up until the time that the fetus is viable on its own.

That's what Roe vs. Wade is all about. It has nothing to do with irresponsible sex, rape, alternatives to abortion, etc.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:16 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
I agree plan B is a very good thing. so is education. the problem with all of this, is that as a society we all have different morals and thoughts that we want to apply to a situation. who gets to be the judge? I think it just has to boil down to the woman. like domino just posted it is a right to privacy.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
OMG!! Do you think outside that box?? Re-read what I posted! What nine year old child is going to walk into a pharmacy and ask for Plan B after the trauma of Uncle Jim or Daddy or Big Brother or neighborhood babysitter raping her? What mentally ill or handicapped child woman is going to walk into a pharmacy and ask for Plan B after the trauma of rape? Are you aware that there are children and women who are subjected to repetitive rape? There are children and women who are prisoners of their assailants for days or longer. Plan B is great for that 'oops' but it is not THE answer to a 'uplanned' pregnancy. What about the pregnancy that will result in the death of the woman if she is forced to continue the pregnancy?

Abortion is not THE answer but it has to be part of the answer.
I didn't mention a 9 yr old, that was Obama.(see the quotes) I was just saying since he is open for stopping unwanted pregnancy he should be open to younger girls having access to Plan B. Obviously the parents would be involved.

Why in the world do you have to insult me and ask me if I ever think outside my box???? I'm out of here.

You sit here and insult yourself. I just started a thread to show that there are other option other than abortion or having the unwanted child and then I get insulted. I HOPED that this thread could help educate a few people about an alternative and along come the insults.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
You know I actually new a girl in college who went on a Spring Break adventure. She was in her 5th yr of school. She had just broke up with her boyfriend. Was upset, had too much to drink and was determined to find a guy to be with for the night. Found a donor and woke up the next day upset with herself. But not as upset with herself as she was when she missed her period and didn't even know the "donor's name.

She was forced with aborting the baby or dropping out of school and having it. She dropped out of school and had a baby with a man from a one night stand. I bet she would have loved to have PLan B then. So intead of her being a PharmD, she is a Pharm Technician. It's sad because she was a great student, but she made a poor decision and had to pay the price for it.
And does she look at her child now and want to kill it?

I've never met a woman yet that went ahead and let their child live that regrets the life of that child. I've met some who even recoil in horror when they look at their child and remember that they considered having that child killed.

And really no one can blame a baby for keeping them from going to college. There are on-line courses, evening courses, working nights -- sure it's harder after a child but the truly motivated don't quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies