Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times

Advertisements

[quote=Katiana;8844714]From the first link. You really have to read the whole article to get the gist of it. Most Americans feel there are pros and cons in each system, according to the link.[/quote

A poll of US citizens living in Canada found that 60% prefered the American system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Like all polls, there's more to it than just that.

Even their praise of the American system was qualified. They said, ‘Yes, it is good. But it is expensive, and not everyone has access.’ ”

In all, 196 of the Americans said cost efficiency was the best thing about the Canadian system, while 223 said cost inefficiency was the worst thing about the U.S. system.

310 total pollees.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like all polls, there's more to it than just that.

Even their praise of the American system was qualified. They said, ‘Yes, it is good. But it is expensive, and not everyone has access.’ ”

In all, 196 of the Americans said cost efficiency was the best thing about the Canadian system, while 223 said cost inefficiency was the worst thing about the U.S. system.

310 total pollees.
But in this scientific poll they also said the best thing about the US system was speed, quality and technology. All things I am interested in when I am sick.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
It's not my fault I'm a baby boomer. Don't blame me for the mess our country is in. Blame the government!
Nobodys blaming boomers. It's that your retirement will shape the funding and management of social programs.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:31 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
But in this scientific poll they also said the best thing about the US system was speed, quality and technology. All things I am interested in when I am sick.
As long as......
a) you can afford it

b) you get better.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
As long as......
a) you can afford it

b) you get better.
Nope, even uninsured illegal aliens get treatment in the US. That is not to say that improvements in cost containment and access to care aren't neccessary but not at the cost of speed, quality and technology for the 85% of insured Americans.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope, even uninsured illegal aliens get treatment in the US. That is not to say that improvements in cost containment and access to care aren't neccessary but not at the cost of speed, quality and technology for the 85% of insured Americans.
There's a big difference between getting essential ER treatment ( which they bill you for even if you decide to not pay it) and getting full treatment.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There's a big difference between getting essential ER treatment ( which they bill you for even if you decide to not pay it) and getting full treatment.

As I said there are gaps in access to care but the needn't be addressed at the expense of speed, quality or technology.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From the first link. You really have to read the whole article to get the gist of it. Most Americans feel there are pros and cons in each system, according to the link.
The people in the survey were, for the most part, people who had been well insured in the US. They preferred the American system because the American system they were referring to was the good part of the American system. I'm sure they're answers would have been different if they were use to the low-wages, no-medical-benefits part or the can't-get-private-insurance-because-of-medical-history part or the lost-my-job-can't-afford-COBRA part.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
The people in the survey were, for the most part, people who had been well insured in the US. They preferred the American system because the American system they were referring to was the good part of the American system. I'm sure they're answers would have been different if they were use to the low-wages, no-medical-benefits part or the can't-get-private-insurance-because-of-medical-history part or the lost-my-job-can't-afford-COBRA part.

85% of Americans have health insurance. No need to toss away the 85% to help the 15%. There are ways to help the 15% while preserving the best of our system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies