Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:00 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,832,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
I don't understand why with so many of you people, everything is so black and white. Abortion isn't a black and white issue, you don't necessarily have to be 100% for or against it. I am against random whores using abortion over and over so that they don't have to be more careful with their choices, however I feel that if a young child makes a mistake, a mothers life is at danger, a woman was raped, etc they should have the ability to terminate the pregnancy. Complex issues are rarely a simple yes/no answer. I wish more people would realize this.
It is black and white. Just like the death penalty. You either believe that the fetus is a distinct human life from the mother or you do not. If you do not believe that the fetus is a distinct human life, then the reason for the abortion does not matter. If you do believe that it is a distinct human life, then there are no cases where abortion would be legal other than when the mother's life would end if she carried to viability. Given modern medicine, that would be very rare...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,411,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How do you feel about the other part of her post?
It's excellent advice.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,138,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
If you do believe that it is a distinct human life, then there are no cases where abortion would be legal other than when the mother's life would end if she carried to viability.
You miss the point:

1. Abortion is legal. [Attempts to make it illegal have failed.]

2. Even is abortion were illegal, it would happen. [Attempts to prevent it from happening have failed.]

Now, as a responsible public official, what do you do?

Bill Clinton said it should be made safe, available and rare. That's one viewpoint.

Others choose to go out in the street and protest against folks who support abortion rights. Some folks promote abstinence-only programs (which don't work), some folks promote adoption, self-restraint and self-respect among young women.

The situation is not hardly black and white as to dealing with the facts of the situation.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM

399 posts, read 551,907 times
Ok from this thread. This forum is full of child-molesters. since when is a girl in her early/mid teens healthy enough to give birth?

Some of you need to stop oogling underage girls and seek help.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 AM

932 posts, read 1,673,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
3 anti-life/pro-death people have already posted on this thread....probably about 100 more to go as usual
This is where my problem lies...

No one is anti-life/pro-death.

In that is the case, then you would be the same, since I am guessing that you voted for someone who instigated a senseless war.

Love the fetus/Hate the child? What about that 19 year old soldier who lost his life fighting a lie in Iraq...or the children in Iraq who have lost their lives?

What about the children who are abused EVERYDAY due to parents who are incapable to parent?

Do you advocate for them as much as you want to argue over a woman's personal right to choose what she does with her body?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,092,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
This whole abortion debate ignores a fact: There is philosophy and there is realpolitik. Philosophically, who could be in favor of a woman terminating a pregnancy? I think very few people could be happy with that happening.

Then there is reality: Abortion and termination of pregnancy has been with society since before the dawn of recorded history.

So abortion is going to happen and did so before Roe v. Wade. Anyone here remember that Frank Sinatra's mom had two convictions for performing illegal abortions? That stuff about coat hangers and illegal 'scrapes' was real life, scary and it happened.

And, abortion happens to be legal in these United States of America. At base, the president should work on making abortion safe and rare. And I have seen very little of stress in those areas by anti-abortion protesters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
1. Are you in favor of random whores having child after child? Random whores don't sound like women who would make the best mothers, but then, who knows?

2. Do you think random whores should be forced to give birth as a means for teaching them a lesson?

3. Do you think random whores should be punished for not making better choices by being forced to give birth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
So how would you legislate this moralistic POV? How would you as a jurist define and identify a random ***** who shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion, or let his girlfriend have one?
Ya know if you guys don't quit throwing around all that logic and common sense you're going to scare the Anti-Choice, Anti-Individual Liberties, Anti-Freedom, Pro-"women are just breeding animals " crowd !!!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,056,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya know if you guys don't quit throwing around all that logic and common sense you're going to scare the Anti-Choice, Anti-Individual Liberties, Anti-Freedom, Pro-"women are just breeding animals " crowd !!!
And when they're scared they pull out their guns, to perform a late-late term abortion or ten.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:59 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,463,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
3 anti-life/pro-death people have already posted on this thread....probably about 100 more to go as usual
Yeah when will the pro-rapebabies and anti-freedom people start posting??

See I can use dumb terminology to frame an argument as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,142,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
This forum is full of child-molesters. since when is a girl in her early/mid teens healthy enough to give birth?
No...I think you need to pick up a biology book and a newspaper and do some reading. Girls in their early and mid teens are having babies every day.

Now if you want to ask the different question of who are the boys or men that are getting them pregnant, then as a father of a 15 year old and 11 year old girl, I would agree.

No one here is a child molester...you just need to put down the Xbox and join the world of reality.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,932,711 times
if one of the obama children have an abortion when they are older, or any female for that matter, is no ones business but theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies