Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM

25,680 posts, read 18,770,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Maybe he planted corn.

Is his "grass" in rows? Does it have tassels?

ROFLMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
So no one would mind if their next door neighbor had not mowed his lawn even once this spring and the yard is completely taken over by weeds and the grass is four feet tall?
Ok. Yes. My stbx and I split in Oct. he stayed in our house. He did not mow (because I always mowed and did the weed eating) that next spring/summer until about August when he had been fined by the city. It looked like a jungle and it drove me absolutly crazy seeing "my" yard look like that. I even apolgized to the neighbors even tho I didnt live there anymore. I know it shouldnt have bothered me but it did. Now Im just as ticked off because he is mowing it while his gf sun baths on the patio. I just have to get over it and so do you.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Have you ever thought that maybe the guy is working two jobs, that he may have fiscal or family problems that are occupying his mind and time?
This, from the opening post

Quote:
It has been rainy here in Northern Va and the result is the grass has been growing like crazy.
would be excuse enough for me. One cannot mow the lawn when it's wet.

Quote:
So no one would mind if their next door neighbor had not mowed his lawn even once this spring and the yard is completely taken over by weeds and the grass is four feet tall?
Nah. My grass is usually taller. Crowds out the weeds.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,040 times
No one wants to give an honest answer to the question?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 PM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Im not sure how HOAs work, but Im sure if you complain enough they will do something about it. Neighbors complained to the city codes inspector until they cited my stbx. Thats what it took to get him to mow.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
I might mind, if it bothered me enough I might offer to cut it for him. Truth be known since I'm friends with my neighbors I'd just cut it & not say a word. But if he didn't want it cut yes I'd mind,,, I'd mind my business. Only thing I'm certain of is I'm glad I dont live near you.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,064,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems to me you need to be living someplace far away from any neighbors. One neighbor you complained about cutting down trees and a barking dog. Now it's the other one who won't mow their lawn. You might be happier in a more rural setting where there is more distance between you and your neighbors. That way you don't have to live with the frustration of an HOA that isn't proactive, or neighbors who aren't as uptight about manicured lawns or shady trees. For $600K I think you can find a place a bit more isolated.
Good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Consider suing the association for breach of contract.

IMO a homeowners association has at least an agreement that is binding
on all members of that homeowners association. Is it not?
Yeah, sue. You're one of them, huh? The answer to everthing isn't in court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
No one wants to give an honest answer to the question?
I think EVERYBODY is giving you honest answers.

If you have 5 neighbors (as stated in your thread about the barking dogs), and you have problems with 3 of them so far, it's only a matter of time before you have problems with the other two. Why not just move?

Another thing, where in this country can you live where everybody has a yard with a "forest" on the property (You know, the one the other neighbor cut down.) and housing association, and still be 50 miles away from rural countryside?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 PM

666 posts, read 1,843,414 times
What I want to know is why the OP felt the need to mention the home value? So if your home was $100k, you'd be ok with it and expect trashy neighbors?

This seems like a poorly veiled attempt to let people know how well off he / she thinks they are.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A month ago we had a neighbor who cut down a forest of tall beautiful trees just because he did not like the shade. Now we have an opposite problem with one neighbor on the other side. He has not mowed his lawn in almost a month. It has been rainy here in Northern Va and the result is the grass has been growing like crazy. It is spring and the grass always grows fast until around June 30.

Anyway, in our beautiful neighborhood of $600K homes we have a neighbor who refuses to mow his lawn. One of the other neighbors asked him about it and he got an angry response to mind his own business and he will mow when he feels like it.

What should be done? There is a homeowners association but the rules have no teeth.
Mow it for him when he is not around.
You don't know why he isn't mowing the lawn. Don't assume its just to make you and the other homeowners mad.
I have been struggling financially and I have not had the money at times to pay the guy to mow and my lawn mower was stolen. I have had neighbors step forward to help me and mow the lawn for me.

I too live in a HOA of really nice homes, I inherited mine.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,366,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Consider suing the association for breach of contract.

IMO a homeowners association has at least an agreement that is binding
on all members of that homeowners association. Is it not?
I would agree, if you are paying money so the association should be useful for something. Otherwise why would you want to pay them anything?

I think most of the people posting are ignoring the fact that the houses are in an association with rules. Everyone that moves there agrees to follow the rules, otherwise they shouldn't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies