Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
What about the unionized middle class folks who worked for the auto companies in Detroit? How did the unions help them in their current plight of being laid off?
Unions are the reason the American middle class exists, whether you like it or not. Furthermore, the original purpose of the union was not get a lazy worker a fifteen minute break every day at 10am sharp, its original purpose was to hold factory owners to a level of safety and just recompense for work done.

Google 'Triangle Shirtwaste Factory Fire' to give you a more historical perspective on the importance unions played in the US.

That said, todays unions bare very little resemblence to their original selves. But then corruption, fraud and entitlement certainly have taken root in the congress and senate yet I don't see the same amount of vitriol given politicians that are given to union members.

Pity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
many do not like him, but what he said is correct. unions made us wealthy and lack thereof will take us back to the cotten fields.
unfortunately americans hate unions.
we got a mountain to climb as to attitude and values.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Lou Grant:Mary , find somebody to do idiot cards for Ted.
Ted Baxter: Don't call them idiot cards, Lou. I resent that. They're cue cards.
Lou:Sorry. Mary, find somebody to do cue cards for the idiot.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
I work in a factory. We don't have a Union. Our pay is the benchmark in our area. Our benefits are solid. Our retirement? We have retired quite a few millionaires from our mill. And all without the Union...
So when the Union tries to get in they are not at all successful.
My friends plant in Maryland went Union.
They were promised pay raises better benefits and better retirement.
They got .25 an hour pay increase. They now have higher co-pays and the retirement is mostly unchanged. They also get to pay union dues.
Yes I wish the union could do that for me.
Teachers Unions: No co-pays for insurance, Awesome retirement and little or no accountability for job performance after they reach Toyota and Honda USA actually pay better and have comparable benefits. The difference the retirement benefits... An example of how corporations and americans can meet in the middle for a win win solution.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Unions are destroying our largest corporations and have corrupted the civil service and teachers' employment systems. Pay and employment should shrink as well as rise based on current conditions.

This is causing our largest corporations to have to do more offshoring or leave completely. Or fold.

And God knows that the unionized governmental and teachers jobs never lose pay or position. This is unjustifiable.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:31 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What do you mean by "if they mess up"? How does an employee deserve to be fired is they "mess up"? The bosses "mess up" crap all the time and nobody fires them. If an RN "messes up" because she cannot read the doctor's horrible writing, who should be fired or sued? The RN who cannot read the scribble or the doc who refuses to use technology made this century?
Should anybody be surprised that liberals have problems with accountability issues? Everyone is at fault but them.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
No the breaks get abused. You give union members an inch and they take a mile. That is just the way it is.

23 DAYS! Good for you..You must work for the UAW or Government or in France
I work for the phone company. We get 15 days (3 weeks after 8 years) of vacation, 4 days that are personal holidays and 4 days of discrecenary leave. We also get New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. And I enjoy all the time I get off.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
i disagree...

The boss owns the business. he should be able to do what he wants. As long as it is based on performance, you should be able to fire anyone you want
The boss does not usually own the business. He usually represents the owners who may be stockholders of even foreigners. And, no, he should not be able to do whatever he wants to employees.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I work in a factory. We don't have a Union. Our pay is the benchmark in our area. Our benefits are solid. Our retirement? We have retired quite a few millionaires from our mill. And all without the Union...
So when the Union tries to get in they are not at all successful.
My friends plant in Maryland went Union.
They were promised pay raises better benefits and better retirement.
They got .25 an hour pay increase. They now have higher co-pays and the retirement is mostly unchanged. They also get to pay union dues.
Yes I wish the union could do that for me.
Teachers Unions: No co-pays for insurance, Awesome retirement and little or no accountability for job performance after they reach Toyota and Honda USA actually pay better and have comparable benefits. The difference the retirement benefits... An example of how corporations and americans can meet in the middle for a win win solution.
That is fine for Toyota and Honda. Then I guess they don't have to worry about a union do they? The only businesses that need to worry about a union probably deserve a union. Such as Wal*Mart.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Unions are destroying our largest corporations and have corrupted the civil service and teachers' employment systems. Pay and employment should shrink as well as rise based on current conditions.

This is causing our largest corporations to have to do more offshoring or leave completely. Or fold.

And God knows that the unionized governmental and teachers jobs never lose pay or position. This is unjustifiable.
Yeah, right. The unions brought down AIG, Bank of America and all those other great American coporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies