Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

I am pro choice with children. I myself don't really agree with abortion but feel that it is none of my business what a woman decides to do. That is until they do it with tax dollars. At that point it becomes every tax payers business. have all the abortions you like just pay for them yourself.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am pro choice with children. I myself don't really agree with abortion but feel that it is none of my business what a woman decides to do. That is until they do it with tax dollars. At that point it becomes every tax payers business. have all the abortions you like just pay for them yourself.
You are pro killing the unborn. You can hide behind your words, but the bottom line is you believe a woman has a right to kill

Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
SeabeeBolt has a great point. I don't like the idea of being able to kill the unborn, but looking at the big picture, I don't like the idea of any government telling people what they can and can't do with their own bodies. Hence, my reason for being pro-choice. It's like local governments putting ordinances against tattoo parlors just because someone on council doesn't like tattoo's. If you don't like them, don't get one. If you don't like abortion, don't have one.
Wow. Such "revolutionary" thinking. Leaving the decisions up to the people affected by them. Wow.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Wow. Such "revolutionary" thinking. Leaving the decisions up to the people affected by them. Wow.
Comparing a tattoo with a unborn human is ludicrous

Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You are pro killing the unborn. You can hide behind your words, but the bottom line is you believe a woman has a right to kill
Maybe in a perfect world none of this would be happening. But unfortunately, this life is anything but perfect.

With all due respect to your opinions, many see this scenario (pro choice vs. pro life) as a lesser of evils sort of thing. I doubt there are many pro choice people who are proud of abortion or void of guilt and sadness when faced with such decisions. I also doubt that the majority of those getting abortions do it primarily as a matter of convenience. I'm pretty sure it is one of the most difficult decisions people have to make. Not unlike pulling the plug on a loved one where medical professionals agree there is no hope of recovery.

There are so many things in life that when analyzed beyond the surface level, are not so clear cut. There is often a negative impact from things we do. Most of us drive a car that spews toxins into the air and contributes to the depletion of our atmosphere. Loosely speaking, we are all killing each other. Does it make it OK because we are all doing it and there is some perverse balance in it? No. It's a negative contribution, pure and simple. Factories, which manufacture plastics which we all use each day, dump waste into our water. Again, poisoning us all and we are all to blame. Anyone who has ever made a living selling junk food to the public is indirectly killing people. These may be trivial examples to you in comparison to abortion but they are all actions that cause illness and death and affect society negatively. In that sense, what is the difference?

I don't believe two wrongs make a right so no need to go there in discussion. I am just saying that there is imperfection in an imperfect world.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Comparing a tattoo with a unborn human is ludicrous
Seeing that as the main point of their argument is equally ludicrous.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Seeing that as the main point of their argument is equally ludicrous.
if it was not a main part of their argument then why include it?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Maybe in a perfect world none of this would be happening. But unfortunately, this life is anything but perfect.

With all due respect to your opinions, many see this scenario (pro choice vs. pro life) as a lesser of evils sort of thing. I doubt there are many pro choice people who are proud of abortion or void of guilt and sadness when faced with such decisions. I also doubt that the majority of those getting abortions do it primarily as a matter of convenience. I'm pretty sure it is one of the most difficult decisions people have to make. Not unlike pulling the plug on a loved one where medical professionals agree there is no hope of recovery.

There are so many things in life that when analyzed beyond the surface level, are not so clear cut. There is often a negative impact from things we do. Most of us drive a car that spews toxins into the air and contributes to the depletion of our atmosphere. Loosely speaking, we are all killing each other. Does it make it OK because we are all doing it and there is some perverse balance in it? No. It's a negative contribution, pure and simple. Factories, which manufacture plastics which we all use each day, dump waste into our water. Again, poisoning us all and we are all to blame. Anyone who has ever made a living selling junk food to the public is indirectly killing people. These may be trivial examples to you in comparison to abortion but they are all actions that cause illness and death and affect society negatively. In that sense, what is the difference?

I don't believe two wrongs make a right so no need to go there in discussion. I am just saying that there is imperfection in an imperfect world.
Your words :
I also doubt that the majority of those getting abortions do it primarily as a matter of convenience.

Here is a list by percentage of why woman get abortions.
Why Abortions Are Performed
  • The overwhelming majority of all abortions, (95%), are done as a means of birth control.http://www.abortiontv.com/images/j0283244.gif (broken link)
  • Only 1% are performed because of rape or incest;
  • 1% because of fetal abnormalities;
  • 3% due to the mother's health problems.
Source: Central Illinois Right To Life

Reasons Women Choose Abortion (U.S.)
  • Wants to postpone childbearing: 25.5%
  • Wants no (more) children: 7.9%
  • Cannot afford a baby: 21.3%
  • Having a child will disrupt education or job: 10.8%
  • Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy: 14.1%
  • Too young; parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy: 12.2%
  • Risk to maternal health: 2.8%
  • Risk to fetal health: 3.3%
  • Other: 2.1%
Abortion Statistics by U.S. State, Race, Age and Worldwide Statistics (http://www.abortiontv.com/Misc/AbortionStatistics.htm#Why - broken link) Abortions Are Performed

I see most of these reasons to have an abortion as convienince, So i would respectfully disagree with your belief.

I presume you are not comparing pollution to abortion.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
if it was not a main part of their argument then why include it?
Are you kidding me? I believe it was an example of the government's actions being carried out because of the opinions / desires of a select group but ultimately affecting everyone.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I believe it was an example of the government's actions being carried out because of the opinions / desires of a select group but ultimately affecting everyone.
Which does not answer my question why use it as an example if the OP was not using it as an argument.
The gambling laws are an example also but really is not an argument for or against abortion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies