Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Roe v. Wade states that:

1) states cannot restrict first trimester abortions at all, other than general health and safety regulations placed on all doctors/medical procedures

2) states can impose requirements on second trimester abortions, but the right to an abortion for any reason must be preserved

3) in the third trimester, states can ban abortion with the exceptions I mentioned above

Webster v. Reproductive Health Services and Planned Parenthood v. Casey - in 1990 and 1991 - modified the framework of R v W.

These decisions allowed states to ban late second trimester abortions - those occurring after viability, with the exceptions.

They also allowed states to impose requirements on first and early second trimester abortions, including 24-hour waiting periods, mandatory counseling, parental consent requirements for minors, etc.

Since 1991, states have been permitted (they were not between 1973 and then) to impose any requirement/restriction on ANY abortion as long as it does not cause an "undue burden" to the woman seeking to have the abortion.

In 2007, the Supreme Court upheld partial birth abortion bans, even when the partial birth abortion is done prior to viability, in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart.
Thanks

Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 PM

341 posts, read 452,143 times
What is your point???????

Is this thread about copying Roe vs Wade crap or do you have any logical questions or facts to state?

Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
What is your point???????

Is this thread about copying Roe vs Wade crap or do you have any logical questions or facts to state?
Wtjwet asked why states are allowed to ban third trimester abortions in light of Roe v. Wade. I explained it to him, along with why the states (and the feds, in the case of the partial birth abortion ban), are allowed to ban or restrict other abortions.

I didn't copy anything. I'm aware of how the SC ruled in the cases and was simply explaining it.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:48 PM

530 posts, read 649,855 times
[quote=wjtwet;9508014]1) The pro abortioners use the same points over and over. The reason they do and they reason I do is because both sides believe in their cor epoints.
2)I have said abortion should be legal to save the mothers life.
3) most abortion are not due to because of money as you stated.
Reason for abortions
Wants to postpone childbearing: 25.5%
Wants no (more) children: 7.9%
Cannot afford a baby: 21.3%
Having a child will disrupt education or job: 10.8%
Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy: 14.1%
Too young; parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy: 12.2%
Risk to maternal health: 2.8%
Risk to fetal health: 3.3%
Other: 2.1%
Abortion Statistics by U.S. State, Race, Age and Worldwide Statistics (http://www.abortiontv.com/Misc/AbortionStatistics.htm#Why - broken link) [SIZE=1]As reported by:The Alan Guttmacher Institute Online:[/SIZE]

4)Pro choice control the life two people an abortion kills one

5) test tube babies would not be aborted. I do not think we need test tube babies if we would stop killing the unborn now

Pro choicers claim they do not think third term abortions are good.
So should third term abortions be illegal?[/quote]
They are except in rare cases where the health of the mother is in question or a severe deformity on the part of a child. There are only 6 late term abortion clinics in the us and you need two medical opinions to qualify! Do I personally think they should? Depends on each case individually. Its more of several shades of grey than black or white. Also the reason it is illegal is because a baby in the third trimester is viable outside the mothers body and could live independently. For the most part except sufactant in the lungs a 3rd trimester fetus is fully developed. And at that point in a pregnancy why would (except reasons mentioned above) a woman suddenly decide to have one.
Also as far as your statistics go its a bunch of bull. Abortion clinics can not force a woman to tell why she wants an abortion, there is no box to mark and anything between a woman and her MD are covered under this little privacy act we like to call HIPPA, check into it. A woman has to sign a release allowing the clinic to give any information about her out. And its a prettty safe bet that most do not. So like most of your numbers those do not add up either!
And you bark the same garbage because you have nothing real to back up your arguement with. You refuse to compromise or look for solutions.

Last edited by trmihall01; 06-28-2009 at 06:42 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Nothing will ever change that. The laws will NEVER be reversed, and I
thank GOD for that. It looks like 67% of the poll proves that most people
would agree as well.
Actually, 60% of Americans want abortion to be legal only in a "few" circumstances or illegal in all circumstances.

More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time

Scroll down to the third graph. 37% legal in a few, 23% illegal in all.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Actually, 60% of Americans want abortion to be legal only in a "few" circumstances or illegal in all circumstances.

More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time

Scroll down to the third graph. 37% legal in a few, 23% illegal in all.
But they still want them to be legal and you can't say legal for one but not another. While the majority of pro choice people feel abortions are necessary in alot of cases we too feel they should be avoided if possible. I don't think anyone just wakes up and says looks like a good day for an abortion. We see them as a necessary "evil" if you will. So as long as most pro choice people still believe they should be legal in some cases that is the most important thing. This poll survey used a little over 1050 participants from land line phones that is hardly a majority survey and who's to say that they didn't choose an area like the bible belt in which to conduct it. Hardly a believable cross reference of the nation. Scoll down to the last paragraph and read it for yourself! Try using a credible source next time! Never believe polls! The most important thing is the majority in charge right now still sees it our way and after 40 yrs thats not like ly to change!

Last edited by trmihall01; 06-28-2009 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: added after survey review

Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
While the majority of pro choice people feel abortions are necessary in alot of cases we too feel they should be avoided if possible. I don't think anyone just wakes up and says looks like a good day for an abortion.
Then we should change the discussion to one about avoiding/preventing abortions, as long as we can agree that none of us like abortion and that we'd love to see it go away, regardless of whether we want it to be legal or illegal.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
When the pro-lifer's(one who do seek to control others) give it a rest...the pro-choice's(ones who dont seek to control others) will give it a rest

Old 06-29-2009, 03:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
When the pro-lifer's(one who do seek to control others) give it a rest...the pro-choice's(ones who dont seek to control others) will give it a rest
It can be rested when those wishing to kill Pro choicers stop killing.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It can be rested when those wishing to kill Pro choicers stop killing.
Well then my guess is it will never stop. Because once again i have to point out to you MAKING ABORTION ILLEGAL WILL NOT STOP IT! Why is it I and others can see this but you just plain refuse to! Abortion is at worse case senerio humans way of natural selection. Happens in every species, why should ours be different? Kind like war...no one likes it, but it keeps the species somewhat thinned out. Also diseases, like aids, cancer and major birth defects. This is just mans chosen form of natural selection. If abortion or miscarriages didn't happen and every child concieved was born and lived, this planet would be too overcrowded. My guess is life would hardly be sustainable. Therefore natural selection is necessary. Hard but true to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies