Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What I'm pointing out to you is, the law views the "fetus" as an unborn child.
If the law recognized the fetus as a "child", wouldn't abortion be illegal?

It is NOT a child.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It is NOT a child.
The law disagrees with you.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
The law disagrees with you.
Then why isn't abortion illegal?

Why did you not answer it the first time?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Then why isn't abortion illegal?

Why did you not answer it the first time?
See, you have stepped into the crux of the problem:

The Court has been convinced that abortion should be legal - to a point.

YET, in the event of the unborn being killed during an attack on the pregnant female - a murder charge can be brought - which, as I think you know, can only happen if the unborn is a CHILD.

Again - like I said - you have walked into the MUDDIED issues surrounding abortion.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
See, you have stepped into the crux of the problem:

The Court has been convinced that abortion should be legal - to a point.

YET, in the event of the unborn being killed during an attack on the pregnant female - a murder charge can be brought - which, as I think you know, can only happen if the unborn is a CHILD.

Again - like I said - you have walked into the MUDDIED issues surrounding abortion.
Has been convinced? No, they KNOW it is should be legal because it is the WOMANS choice. Simple as that. I know for a fact that if they make abortion illegal, there will be major riots. It should not be made illegal especially in cases of rape or mothers life in danger.

And I agree with the fact that if a woman is attacked while pregnant, it should be a murder charge. If a woman is attacked at all, it is a shame.

The potential is a child, yes. Without a doubt. But at that time, it may or may not have been.

It is muddied. You are right. None of us will change our minds. To me, the woman will ALWAYS come first-ESPECIALLY if she was raped or if her life is in danger. If SHE says she would die for the child, then the doctor can save the child instead of her but the woman should be the default.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,162 times
Default Question for "pro-choice" people

First off, let me say that I am not sure if I am "pro-choice" or "pro-life" myself. Second, let's say, as a disclaimer, that this question, while based on facts, is just a hypothetical situation.

Well, the argument for abortion is that it is 1) a women's right to her own body 2) the quality of life of the unborn child. Okay, fair enough. Using that criteria, here is my question:

Let's assume you stumbled upon me as I was just putting a noose around my neck to commit suicide (disclaimer: Just a hypothetical situation) let's say that I want to commit suicide because my quality of life sucks, i.e., I am "deformed" ( I am a male who is 5'2 [152 centimeters] and balding) and am not particularly charming (social deformity). So, I am going to kill myself...would you, as a pro-choice person, call the police to stop me or let it happen?

If the answer is "yes, I would" why? Is it not a matter of my "quality of life" (being a short guy sucks in ways few women can understand) and is it not my "right to my own body"? I mean, if a woman can abort her fetus without anyone stopping her, then shouldn't I as a man have the right to give myself a "81st trimester" abortion?

I think I might have more of a right to suicide, considering I am making the decision for myself, and not for a third party (the fetus) who has no say.

So, are you pro-choice but anti-suicide and if so, how do you not feel like a hypocrite?

Like I said, I am unsure about abortion but I do, however, believe 100% in the rights of people to end their own lives as they see fit, as long as they are not harming anyone else in the process, i.e., no jumping off buildings and maybe hitting people on the streets bellow.

Keep in mind that I am not just talking about suicide due to terminal illness. I don't care if you're killing yourself because the Yankees lost the world series or "King of the Hill" got canceled, it's your life, your decision, and I do not think the government or any busy-body should get in the way of your decision....wether or not a fetus counts as a person who has a decision of their own, I don't know.

Last edited by victorianpunk; 06-04-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,463,120 times
We should be free to do what we like with our bodies; assisted suicide comes to mind. If I have a logical reason to end my life prematurely then who are you (or the government) to tell me otherwise?

Furthermore you assume that all those in favor of the pro choice position also are pro abortion. I most certainly am not, and saying that I would probably try and stop somebody from killing themselves (brought about by depression of financial distress etc.)

Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,086,766 times
Liberals will be all for the death option. Conservatives will be for the save your life and help you option.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
We should be free to do what we like with our bodies; assisted suicide comes to mind. If I have a logical reason to end my life prematurely then who are you (or the government) to tell me otherwise?

Furthermore you assume that all those in favor of the pro choice position also are pro abortion. I most certainly am not, and saying that I would probably try and stop somebody from killing themselves.

But why? And why do I need a "logical reason"? I mean, people have abortions for all kinds of reasons, like they can't take care of a baby, then why couldn't someone be able to kill themselves because they can't take care of themselves?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
I think anyone coming across a suicide in process (except assisted suicide) would be likely to try to stop the person. But I also believe that you have a right to end your own life, for whatever reason.

As to deformities in abortion, those are catastrophic deformities like trisomy disorders, anencephaly (no brain), severe spina bifida, and so on.

Pro-choice really just means that you believe people have the right to make their own decisions, in concert with their medical professionals. I personally don't think I could ever have an abortion (not that I'd get an opportunity, since I am infertile), but I believe that the decision another woman makes is her decision, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies