Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
First off, let me say that I am not sure if I am "pro-choice" or "pro-life" myself. Second, let's say, as a disclaimer, that this question, while based on facts, is just a hypothetical situation.

Well, the argument for abortion is that it is 1) a women's right to her own body 2) the quality of life of the unborn child. Okay, fair enough. Using that criteria, here is my question...
Thats not all of it. Can't speak for everybody, but I don't see a fetus as a person, at least not until late in pregnancy. Even then, it is on life support system which happens to be the mother and she, not I or you, gets to decide if she can take it. Its a decision she will have to live with for the rest of her life, one way or the other.

Having said that, I'm not opposed to assisted suicide. If a person has decided to quit, who are we to force him/her to stay and then throw him/her on the streets or jail (if not a mental asylum)?

But leave it to the control freaks who want to have things their way, overriding the individual and his/her liberties.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
This is tough - but I don't think the connection the OP is making is parallel

The potential to be a human being is not the same as being a human being. The earth was formed by the coalescence of dust and gas eventually into a planet - but that doesn't mean it's a planet. I do believe that while the organism is within the womb - it is more a part of the woman than it is a part of the religious right or any other group, inalienable rights can't be extended to this organism while its host is not willing or able to support it. This is not to say the woman shouldn't go through a process of counsel regarding options, but I ultimately feel the womans right to choose is the lesser evil than forcing her to go through with something she couldn't possibly commit to.

Having said that, educational programs should be in place for our young to take every precaution to prevent pregnancy in the first place - the benefits of abstinence, benefits of condom and birth control usage. Instead of sweeping it under the rug and praying for the best. A common theme within the religious right - living in a world of ideology than practicality.

I don't think ANY woman who gets an abortion is taking the situation lightly. I do agree though, when it comes to abortion, and even after counsel she decides to go through with it should be as early as possible - as late as necessary. However, I do think all have to agree that abortion should be an absolute last resort.

Another thing I don't think is practical by those who don't support any type of abortion is that a woman will go underground to get a procedure done in desperation and this could impact not only the organism within her, but her life itself. Far better it be done by a qualified practictioner whom I have so much respect for, particularly in light of recent events in witchita

Okay, so a fetus is not a life, okay...but for someone wanting to kill themselves it is a life, THEIR LIFE. So, how can you respect the right of a woman to do to her body what she wants (i.e., abortion) but not respect my right to do with my body what I want? (i.e., destroy it)

Also, a woman can get cancelling and still be given an abortion...If I got counseling and said "okay, I'm still short and bald and missed the 80s New Wave era, so, I still want to kill myself" then I will not be allowed to kill myself by any hospital in America.

So, a woman should have the right to abortion defended...but my right to suicide should be with held?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
I respect your stance ideologically, I just don't see the realism in it. A woman who gets an abortion at any point is doing so as a last resort! If she is in such desperation, she will seek means elsewhere, which won't be safe options.

Sin well.... what isn't a sin? Making laws based on just sin isn't more paralyzing to a society than practical.

As for the man's rights - i just don't agree! The organism is inside the woman - it is not inside the man. If it was inside both - i would agree.
I have yet to met a woman who feels the same way as I do, well let me rephrase that, I have yet to met a woman who believes that abortion should be allowed that feels that the father should have a say.

And as abortion being the last resort, for some yes, for many no. I have a friend who got his girlfriend pregnant and was really excited and started talking with her about marriage and how he was looking forward to being a father. Turns out the girl didn't really like him, was just playing him along for the money and when she heard marriage immediately went down to the clinic and aborted it. When he asked why did you do such a thing her response was.... "It was the easiest way to get rid of you."

So while some have emotional crisis when debating if abortion is the right thing for them or not, for others abortion its just a simple solution, kinda like throwing some unwanted trash out the car window as they drive down the street.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Okay, so a fetus is not a life, okay...but for someone wanting to kill themselves it is a life, THEIR LIFE. So, how can you respect the right of a woman to do to her body what she wants (i.e., abortion) but not respect my right to do with my body what I want? (i.e., destroy it)
At no point did I state this.... I stated that i don't see how your situation about to hang yourself correlates to that of an organism in a womb. I clearly stated in my post that you are like a planet - a human being... I'm sorry it's just not a parallel argument.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
At no point did I state this.... I stated that i don't see how your situation about to hang yourself correlates to that of an organism in a womb. I clearly stated in my post that you are like a planet - a human being... I'm sorry it's just not a parallel argument.

It is a matter of choice. If a woman has the right to do with her body what she wants (have an abortion) then why should I be given the right to do with my body what I want? (Destroy it)

Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I have yet to met a woman who feels the same way as I do, well let me rephrase that, I have yet to met a woman who believes that abortion should be allowed that feels that the father should have a say.

And as abortion being the last resort, for some yes, for many no. I have a friend who got his girlfriend pregnant and was really excited and started talking with her about marriage and how he was looking forward to being a father. Turns out the girl didn't really like him, was just playing him along for the money and when she heard marriage immediately went down to the clinic and aborted it. When he asked why did you do such a thing her response was.... "It was the easiest way to get rid of you."

So while some have emotional crisis when debating if abortion is the right thing for them or not, for others abortion its just a simple solution, kinda like throwing some unwanted trash out the car window as they drive down the street.
Well there should be a screening process the woman has to go through - so it shouldn't be so easy as throwing trash...If she is given all her options she might not make such an easy decision... Moreover, i wonder how versed she was regarding birth control options. As for your friend, it is in his best interest to get to know a girl before getting her pregnant .. thus use a condom before marriage or practice abstinence....

Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
It is a matter of choice. If a woman has the right to do with her body what she wants (have an abortion) then why should I be given the right to do with my body what I want? (Destroy it)
As much as I hate to say this, and I hope that you really find some inspiration and motivation to live..if it is your choice to terminate your life, I will not stop you..

Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Well there should be a screening process the woman has to go through - so it shouldn't be so easy as throwing trash...If she is given all her options she might not make such an easy decision... Moreover, i wonder how versed she was regarding birth control options. As for your friend, it is in his best interest to get to know a girl before getting her pregnant .. thus use a condom before marriage or practice abstinence....
Nice how you think you can make decisions for women.
They go through a screening process with themselves and their doctors.
They don't need your permission or not.

It's your body, commit suicide, tattoo or pierce it.
No one has the right to direct anyone about their personal choices to do what they choose with their own bodies.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:55 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
the only way an abortion should be legal is if the girl was raped...and ofcourse report it to the authorities and have physical proof...any girl who is raped will have some sort of means to prove rape. I only say they should require proof because women would claim to have been raped...and actually had consensual sex...

Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
If you want to commit suicide that's your decision to make for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies