Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
^ I have my own home theater system so I don't go to movie theaters. The rude people are usually poor people on welfare who are probably Obama supporters
Wow, the genius post you can find on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Avoid movie theaters in the ghetto. Just a recommendation from experience. Loud, obnoxious, and rude is taken to a whole new level.
Like suburban white kids are avid students of Emily Post!

Anyway, I don't know what theaters or perhaps more importantly, what movies you go to see, but I can't think of the last time that I went to a movie and felt that behavior was distracting much less out of control and that goes to suburban Philly theaters or ones in town.

PS - The "rudest" audiences that I ever experienced was when I saw Al Pacino's Scarface. The hispanics in the audience went wild during the Spanish language dialogue and everybody went nuts during he violent scenes, frankly I had a great time. Nothing like audience participation.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I can't understand how people bring a 3 year old into a PG or R movie that has violence in it. It annoys me.. not because the kid is making noise.. but people.. they are 3. Take them to a DISNEY movie for crying out loud.. they have plenty of time to watch violence and all that other crap later in life.. no need to expose them to it at 3!!
In 2001, the Sunday after 9/11 there was a concert at the Barbara B. Mann Center in Fort Myers. Although it was free, they suggested donating $20 or whatever you could afford IIRC. Anyway, we all sang patriotic songs together (it was deafening. people were so emotional) and then there was a beautiful solo, think it was Mozart's Requiem. I remember throughout the entire aria a baby was screaming its pretty little head off. I don't know how the singer was able to stand there and continue. Eventually I saw a woman stand up and walk toward the aisle holding a baby. I guess nobody wanted to ask her to leave, since it was a concert to honor those who died on 9/11 and to show unity. Maybe I'm unAmerican, since I wanted to bash her over the head.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
^ I have my own home theater system so I don't go to movie theaters. The rude people are usually poor people on welfare who are probably Obama supporters
Yeah, they received those movie theatre stamps every month and get to see the all the New releases on taxpayer dollars. In fact I heard they can now use their food stamps to buy popcorn and candy.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Anyway, I don't know what theaters or perhaps more importantly, what movies you go to see, but I can't think of the last time that I went to a movie and felt that behavior was distracting much less out of control and that goes to suburban Philly theaters or ones in town.

PS - The "rudest" audiences that I ever experienced was when I saw Al Pacino's Scarface. The hispanics in the audience went wild during the Spanish language dialogue and everybody went nuts during he violent scenes, frankly I had a great time. Nothing like audience participation.
Some people believe going to a movie theater is an interactive experience. No matter how many times you yell at the screen, the characters will not answer you.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Some people believe going to a movie theater is an interactive experience. No matter how many times you yell at the screen, the characters will not answer you.

I remember when I went ot go see Dirty Dancing when i was ak id. The theatre was pacekd. What made the experience unique was the audience laughing at parts and cheering for the characters.. especially at the end when he delivered that classic line "nobody puts baby in the corner". THERE is appropriate outburst and movie participation that is acceptable and adds to the experience. It's the inappropriate ones that are frustrating.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
For some movies, especially early Kung Fu movies, that is the only thing that makes them worth seeing.

By the way, another great interactive experience was when I went to see Star Wars. At the time I was living in the DuPont Circle section of DC. The theater was packed with folks who had apparently seen the movie before, and when Darth Vader made his first appearance the entire theater started to hiss and boo. It was great!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I remember when I went ot go see Dirty Dancing when i was ak id. The theatre was pacekd. What made the experience unique was the audience laughing at parts and cheering for the characters.. especially at the end when he delivered that classic line "nobody puts baby in the corner". THERE is appropriate outburst and movie participation that is acceptable and adds to the experience. It's the inappropriate ones that are frustrating.
For example do not make out in a movie like "Schindler's List."

Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 PM

519 posts, read 688,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Avoid movie theaters in the ghetto. Just a recommendation from experience. Loud, obnoxious, and rude is taken to a whole new level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

LOL who said these were kids attending the movie?

There is a difference between audience participation and outright rudeness.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
I guess this is why they don't serve alcohol.
LOL! I have to admit, although I'm very polite now, and I guess I tried to be in the past, I probably was obnoxious (only 2 or 3 times in my life!) at a movie, but it was a very long time ago. Orange sunshine did strange things to my perception. http://bestsmileys.com/eyes/13.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies