Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
Here is some info on her. This was over 10 years after I had worked with her. As I said, I never witnessed her in particular physically abuse the students (that I could remember) but I do remember her saying some cruel things to the special needs students that blew my mind. Because these were the kids that were BEYOND down syndrome. These are the kids are severely mentally and/or physically disabled.

Orlando schools face lawsuits by parents alleging abuse of their of special ed children
What a terrible person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

395 posts, read 510,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Sorry. I initially read your post as "I used to help out at a middle school," assuming it was once you were already an adult. My rereading tells me that you were in fact in middle school. So, I absolutely understand.

Very true, but I'd still report it. At 14 or 15, though, I probably wouldn't have.

understandable.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
This is atrocious. A teacher used a "therapeutic floor hold" on a child who has a history of getting abused and neglected? Perhaps that teacher needs to be on the receiving end of such hold. It's sad how certain teachers and admins treat students with "special" needs.

This teacher should be tried for murder.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I hate to say it, but I wonder if it was a White child that was killed rather than a Black child whether the teacher would have faced legal action.
There was a study that showed disparities in homicide sentencing based upon the races of the victims.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 AM

395 posts, read 510,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
This is atrocious. A teacher used a "therapeutic floor hold" on a child who has a history of getting abused and neglected? Perhaps that teacher needs to be on the receiving end of such hold. It's sad how certain teachers and admins treat students with "special" needs.

I can imagine how hard it must be sometimes to deal with children who refuse to behave though. I'm not endorsing hitting a child, but in reality, if a kid refuses to cooperate or is acting crazy and you aren't allowed to touch them...what are you supposed to do?? Just curious.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
I can imagine how hard it must be sometimes to deal with children who refuse to behave though. I'm not endorsing hitting a child, but in reality, if a kid refuses to cooperate or is acting crazy and you aren't allowed to touch them...what are you supposed to do?? Just curious.
She didn't hit the child, she sit on top of him for so long that his ribcage was completely crushed. He literally suffocated to death

Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Homicide has no statute of limitations. The case can be retried at another grand jury if the district attorney still wishes to pursue the case, and I am sure he will considering that there are thousands of mothers whom will advocate on behalf of the morning parents.

A grand jury is full of random citizens from the county, and the citizens could be uneducated, bigoted, or callous morons, which is what it seems like to me.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM

She needs the electric chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
She didn't hit the child, she sit on top of him for so long that his ribcage was completely crushed. He literally suffocated to death

Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Well you are not supposed to sit on top of them and crush their rib cage until they are dead. That is just psychotic and evil.

Quote:

Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

Oh boy. I worked with severely emotionally disturbed kids for 8 years and could write a book about my experiences. I've got to be honest, my coworkers and I needed to restrain these children very frequently to prevent them from hurting themselves, other children or ourselves. Sometimes it would be like a riot situation where we were bouncing from one kid to the next in multiple restraints while they all screamed "raise hell!" The safest way to restrain them single handedly, when necessary, was to put them down on the floor and sit on them with their hands behind their backs.

I don't think she intended to severely hurt or kill him but she certainly knew she was making it very uncomfortable for the child at the very least, which is abusive. She should be charged with involuntary manslaughter, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies