U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,223,365 times

Advertisements

The very well preserved fossil of what is being hailed as the missing link to support Darwin's theory of evolution is now made public. In this, the 200th year, of Darwin's birth the fossil that was found over 20 years ago is being made available to the public. What do all of you think about this?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...ntists_In_New_

Last edited by roysoldboy; 05-19-2009 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,276,824 times
well doesn't the bible say even man and all animals on earth come "from the dust of the earth" which could possibly be a reference to evolution.. in that we all share a common ancestor..
There's too much evidence to say evolution doesn't exist even on a large scale..
but this sort of evidence is pretty profound...

Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,527,410 times
Very interesting! It's crazy to think that this important discovery could have destroyed by turning the area into a landfill, as some had wanted.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,753,499 times
Every time we try and disassociate ourselves as humans from the rest of the animal kingdom we always fail. One thing that always seems to be a common theme, we all descended from a common ancestor. The universe starts as a small spec and explodes. Stars explode and create the heavy elements for future solar systems, planets and humans to exist. Science shows us through mitochondrial DNA that all humans came from a women in Africa and this woman in Africa descended from this lemur monkey.

I find this the stuff of beauty, harmony, diversity and oneness all wrapped up and maybe the stuff of god. Why can't we celebrate it rather than grasp onto irrational fears and hatred.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 AM

460 posts, read 713,606 times
If this forum isn't proof that we are descended from poo-flinging monkies, then I don't know what is.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,354,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Every time we try and disassociate ourselves as humans from the rest of the animal kingdom we always fail. One thing that always seems to be a common theme, we all descended from a common ancestor. The universe starts as a small spec and explodes. Stars explode and create the heavy elements for future solar systems, planets and humans to exist. Science shows us through mitochondrial DNA that all humans came from a women in Africa and this woman in Africa descended from this lemur monkey.

I find this the stuff of beauty, harmony, diversity and oneness all wrapped up and maybe the stuff of god. Why can't we celebrate it rather than grasp onto irrational fears and hatred.
Lovely, Miss75. Beautifully said, and true. This discovery is wonderful, and
may go a long way toward convincing some folks who believe that scientists have been engaged in a massive conspiracy for centuries that a
day in the life of any eternal deity would be but a blink in our time. BTW,
what calendar do they use, anyway? The Julian? Gregorian? The Mayan Long Count? Better by far to accept and embrace what's important than to fear needlessly.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 AM

30,464 posts, read 20,105,085 times
Quote:

Except that a bunch of very excited scientists are now going to maybe get research grants, I'm not sure what the story is here. First of all, when someone is that excited about a lemur skeleton watch your wallet. Just Goggle "scientist excited major discovery" and see if you get anything that doesn't involve new research grants. If you're a research scientist and you aren't excited about something you're probably teaching high school physics with a PHD too. That they claim it is a transitional species is based on the same speculation that most other opinion driven science is as well. We were not their to know one way or another. Did monkeys evolve from lemurs? If your an evolutionist, they had to have. If your a creationist, possibly, but not necessarily. My neighbor has two dogs. One is a bull dog and the other is a Rotwieller. If we apply the same standard, a bull dog with and older skeleton evolved into a rotwieller later on and maybe a boxer was a the transitional species. But we all know that all domesticated dogs came from one species of wolf. Could we breed lemurs to get chimpanzees in a relatively short period of time? Or, Is their a common ancestor to all primates that is responsible for all the current species? If every gene needed to make a poodle was present in wolves before we began to selectively breed them, why would primates play by a separate set of rules? What is true for canines holds true for bovines, felines, equine, porcine, ovine, caprine, etc. Always found Evolution to be a little light on standing for that reason. Another reason is that questioning the conclusions of evolutionary scientists is not allowed. They really flip out if you question their conclusions. For my money it's just too easy to verify common ancestors of different species to need all that mutation mumbo-jumbo. Maybe it's because I'm a drivability mechanic, but I alway prefer the simple explanation over the complicated one.

"Heinz Heck, based at Munich Zoo, cross-bred shaggy Highland cattle with animals from Corsica and Hungary, while his brother in Berlin was crossing Spanish and French fighting bulls. The success of the Hecks' breeding program is as disputed as the techniques they used."

Ancient cattle species re-introduced to Britain - Science- msnbc.com

Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 AM

19,378 posts, read 17,488,305 times
I was interested in the find but I don't think it deserves the hype and the attempt at controversy. Evolution is pretty much fact but there are still questions we may never be able to answer. Human evolution is another matter, I still think man somehow doesn't quite fit and how we've become what we are is up for serious speculation. Especially in our ability to shape our habitat and the gains we've made in the last 10,000 years. The last 2,000 years especially. I personally believe we've had help form somewhere or somebody.
A fossilized monkey creature is what they found. It was a big stretch to say that it was remotely man like. I watch squirrels eat at my bird feeder and marvel at how they use their little paws as hands. When experts feel they no longer have to prove their theories, then they'll convince me they're on to something.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 AM

57 posts, read 153,514 times
If you travel around the world, you will come back to the very spot.
If you travel around the universe you will never come back.
Give this b* a universal ride.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,961,735 times
Quote:

But where'd the spec come from?

I believe in evolution somewhat. But what about the beginning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies