Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the gay marriage issue equal to the civil rights movement of the '60's?
Yes, discrimination is discrimination, they're going through what our leaders suffered through 23 35.94%
No, gays can vote, drink from the same water fountain, sit anywhere on the bus, sit at the lunch counter. Lifestyle does not equal to skin color 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Whoever voted for the second option I assume is very ignorant. You must not realize that there are some restaurants and locally owned stores that will not cater to gay people.

There isn't really a huge difference between the African-American Civil Rights movement and the LGBT Rights Movement.
What local stores and restaurants refuse to serve homosexuals? Where?

Nobody knows you're a homosexual unless you broadcast it to the world.

Hiding your skin color is impossible.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Whoever voted for the second option I assume is very ignorant. You must not realize that there are some restaurants and locally owned stores that will not cater to gay people.

There isn't really a huge difference between the African-American Civil Rights movement and the LGBT Rights Movement.
You are right on target? The central issue in the LGBT movement is the right to have their marriage recognized by the state and being able to share benefits. When and where in modern history were Black folk not allowed to marry each other and share benefits as a married couple? When were LGBT not allowed to vote or am I missing something? Please share which states had Jim Dandy laws designed to prevent Gay voting!

Considering the definition of cater, just what desire is it that some local own stores won't provide?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cater
intransitive verb 1 : to provide a supply of food 2 : to supply what is required or desired <catering to middle-class tastes> transitive verb

Old 05-21-2009, 06:07 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You are kidding aren't you? The central issue in the LGBT movement is the right to have their marriage recognized by the state and being able to share benefits. When and where in modern history were Black folk not allowed to marry each other and share benefits as a married couple? When were LGBT not allowed to vote or am I missing something? Please share which states had Jim Dandy laws designed to prevent Gay voting!
Note that I said there wasn't a HUGE difference between the AACV and the LGBT Movement.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:10 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Note that I said there wasn't a HUGE difference between the AACV and the LGBT Movement.
Sorry I was chiming in with you.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What local stores and restaurants refuse to serve homosexuals? Where?

Nobody knows you're a homosexual unless you broadcast it to the world.

Hiding your skin color is impossible.
No, I can go into a restaurant with my boyfriend and it would be apparent. Especially if I hold his hand. If I tell someone i'm gay, they aren't surprised. My mom knew when i was a boy. People are judged by their mannorisms and dress. The concept of masculinity and femininity roles is firmly entrenched in society. You should watch the movie Doubt!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
No, I can go into a restaurant with my boyfriend and it would be apparent. Especially if I hold his hand. If I tell someone i'm gay, they aren't surprised. My mom knew when i was a boy. People are judged by their mannorisms and dress. The concept of masculinity and femininity roles is firmly entrenched in society.
You're absolutely right. The whole argument that gays can hide their sexual orientation but blacks can't hide their skin color is pretty weak. It assumes that we're all mannequins. Not only are there studies that show gay men communicate differently than straight men, there are even studies that show gay men walk differently than straight men!

Gay or straight? Watch his walk - Mental health- msnbc.com

Old 05-21-2009, 08:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,313,991 times
A civil rights issue is a civil rights issue. The end!!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
No, I can go into a restaurant with my boyfriend and it would be apparent. Especially if I hold his hand. If I tell someone i'm gay, they aren't surprised. My mom knew when i was a boy. People are judged by their mannorisms and dress. The concept of masculinity and femininity roles is firmly entrenched in society. You should watch the movie Doubt!
Where have you ever been refused service because you are homosexual?

That would be an easy lawsuit.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Where have you ever been refused service because you are homosexual?

That would be an easy lawsuit.
Point taken, I was refering to what you said about nobody knows you are gay unless you broadcast it to the world. So, a restaurant can't openly refuse service based on that, correct but lets not be naive - there is still discrimination based on sexual orientation. If i hold my boyfriends hand on the subway - i will get chided and laughed at and called f****t and if its late enough and we are alone, we could easily get bashed! In your country I wouldn't be able to marry my lover in many places - so the discrimation is still there. I think everyone has benefited from the black civil rights movement and they had their challenges then, we have ours now - there are many people who will make it clearly known they don't approve of one being gay and do everything they can to make sure you file yourself away deeply in the closet and deny yourself the pursuit of happiness - think about it lucky gem and think about how it must be like to be gay - put on your empathy shoes . and you would see society will take pot shots at you every chance it gets, society will tell you its wrong from an early age and you go to bed every night shameful of these thoughts and you are so conflicted because you want to be accepted as a normal part of society - especially as a teenager but something inside you is saying i'm different - why did I have to be born this way... People are so quick to deny the human element and deny the intense emotions we go through growing up. On top of that, I then have to listen to people say, well your form of discrimation is less destructive- it is equally destructive on the soul!

Last edited by mississauga75; 05-21-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're absolutely right. The whole argument that gays can hide their sexual orientation but blacks can't hide their skin color is pretty weak. It assumes that we're all mannequins. Not only are there studies that show gay men communicate differently than straight men, there are even studies that show gay men walk differently than straight men!

Gay or straight? Watch his walk - Mental health- msnbc.com
I can't say I agree with this...there may be some people that may be able to hide their sexuality and others who may not. When someone sees a black person that can't really be hidden.

This is not to say that the civil rights are not the same for each group. Im just disagreeing with this argument presented in this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies