Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Are Catholic priests allowed to jerk off in private when the urge comes? Or do they just release it all on unwitting kids? Do you think the pope has ever masturbated?
Your answer may be found here:

YouTube - Vita est Lavorum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Well Catholicism is a form of cult. Any time doctrine is force fed through guilt, shame, and fear and your ability to make your own thoughts and opinions are taken away is a cult in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
You're right. I didnt know all Catholics took part in this. I guess I owe you and Who?Me? and apology.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
FWIW - I think the major change has been much more widespread literacy and the availability of common language versions that has led individuals to be able to read the Bible for themselves with out the need for translators or the ability to understand Church Latin.

IMHO the primary value of this religion is simple: helping others is doing God's work, harming others is doing Satan’s work. This is simplistic to be sure but it captures the essence of the religion.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
After reading through this muck of a thread, I have to make a point --- there is a difference between the catholic church of 1930s, 1960s, 1980s and today. And there is a difference between catholics and the catholic heirarchy.
Oh, and catholicism is no more of a cult then protestantism, buddhism or islam.

Now lets gets something very clear, in the past the cc got away with a lot because back then there existed a climate of secrecy. Back then, people were conditioned not to question authority be it the dr or the priest/pastor/preacher. Back then, pedophilia was poorly understood and hardly ever spoken about in public. Certainly victims of it never went to the police, and the pedophiles themselves were either never caught or they received street justice (read Maya Angelous 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings for more on that).
Now however victims are not compelled to be silent, and parishinors are not cowed by the collar. Times have changed, and thankfully the cc has moved with it - or should I say has been forced to change by the fury of their parishinors. And that is a good thing.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Please show me where I supported it. Actually..I said its horrible. You cant be liek this in real life right? I hope its just an internet thing for you.

Quote where I said anything even remotely close to that. I'll wait. Until then you are lying and and lack any credibility.

Where ya at buddy?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
there is a difference between hating the catholic church and hating people who blindly believe in it who call themselves catholics.. fact of the matter is... THE CHURCH has a lot to answer for.. and when we look at everything throughout history they've had to answer for.. it's pretty apparent they stand for nothing that is godly...the church that is...
it's just sad that so many people blindly follow such an awful establishment....

Old 05-21-2009, 05:49 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times
There is a website, sorry I cannot think of it off the top of my head and when I find it again, I will send it along; it is a website that lists every state, the names of the priests(s) which have either been sued, are being sued, sued successfully, charged, etc with sex abuse. It is something like bishopswatch.com and if that is not correct, "google" may just find it for you.

There was a recent case, I believe it was Oregon, supreme court opened the door for victims being able to sue not only the church but the diocese and now, the Vatican, that I believe, will be quite interesting.

I do believe things have changed between then and now; do I think there is still abuse, yes, I do however, the difference(s) I believe, more openness about it; families, especially parents do not take the sole word of the priest and a mini-diety and I also think people, including kids are much more aware and savvy than they were a long time and even though there continues to be an association with 'shame' on the victim, I think there is more support for those victims.

I do think it reprehensible however that with so many cases, the church did know, they did keep things quiet and just transferred a priest to another parish without warning and information.

I also think it is sad when a child tells a parent about an incident that the parent might believe the priest over their child.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times
Here is the link I was referring to above...pretty outrageous....names, dates, places, there is an organization which is following many cases...decisions....

BishopAccountability.org: Catholic Priest Sex Abuse Archive. Data on bishops, priests, nuns, Birmingham, Geoghan, Shanley.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Well Catholicism is a form of cult. Any time doctrine is force fed through guilt, shame, and fear and your ability to make your own thoughts and opinions are taken away is a cult in my book.
Technically, all religions start out as cults.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
It cracks me up...the church is against same sex marriage but a willing participant in pedophilia and trying to cover it up with payoffs....sounds kinda like the mafia to me, payoff wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies