Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama wants to close Gitmo - what should we do with the prisoners?
Convene a Grand Jury to decide which should be tried, and release the rest to country of origin 7 25.93%
Just release them all to their country of origin 2 7.41%
Bring them all to the US and process them through the Federal prison system 4 14.81%
Assume they are all guilty and keep them at Gitmo indefinitely, with no due process 7 25.93%
Keep them at Gitmo indefinitely, to use as guinea pigs for refining torture techniques 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Did they commit crimes against Americans within American jurisdiction? If you want to go that way instead...
Actually no. Osama bin Laden has never set foot in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Put them in the supermax prison where we keep all the other convicted terrorists that we have in custody. Those who haven't been tried will need to be charged and tried.

There. That was easy.
Easier than leaving them where they are?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think every liberal on this forum should lobby 0bama and their congressmen, senators and governor to get these innocent detainees released into their home towns. Maybe even give them a room at a local hotel, as suggested by Eric Holder.
What do we do with the proven 1 in 7 of those who have been released that went home and joined up with jihadists immediately? That would be about 70 so far and with 200 of them left there now it would be another 30 who would be trying to kill our soldiers almost immediately.

Which ones are innocent? I don't want Dick (Turban) Durbin making that decision.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yup, they all cheered 0bama, when he signed that executive order closing GITMO, and four months later he still has no freaking clue, even the democratic congress told him NO to his requested funds, because he has no freaking plan at all.

"Hope... Change...We cannot continue the stale old policies of the past!" Who needs substance when you have rhetoric like that?
I don't know but I certainly hope you meant this. It does seem that The One has been tripping over his campaign rhetoric and trying to get things done that most of us don't want to see done.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Y

Forget the "waterboard tactic", and think of the child molesting videos that even Cheney was, and still is, fearful of releasing.
You gotta be Pelosi-ing me. (I wouldn't Pelosi you.

Thinking about child molestation immediately brought that shining example of Democrat politics to mind: Mel Reynolds. Rumor was that Nobama wanted to hire him too. And you know Slick Willie, chief slime ball would have to get into the act too since children are involved:

Ex-Chicago Congressman Mel Reynolds Returns After Clinton Commutes Prison Sentence | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

Yep, waterboarding is pretty bad, and certainly worse than a Democrat child molester, eh?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Actually no. Osama bin Laden has never set foot in the USA.
And he's not one of the detainees either, is he?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What do we do with the proven 1 in 7 of those who have been released that went home and joined up with jihadists immediately? That would be about 70 so far and with 200 of them left there now it would be another 30 who would be trying to kill our soldiers almost immediately.

Which ones are innocent? I don't want Dick (Turban) Durbin making that decision.
Wouldn't you be annoyed with a government that snatched you from your country and deprived you of your freedom without cause--since you were, after all, innocent?

If I was unlawfully detained, you can be sure I'd be looking for as many of the people involved when I was set free--for payback.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM

519 posts, read 688,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Wouldn't you be annoyed with a government that snatched you from your country and deprived you of your freedom without cause--since you were, after all, innocent?

If I was unlawfully detained, you can be sure I'd be looking for as many of the people involved when I was set free--for payback.
Personally, I'd be happy that I didn't get the slug of an M-16 (or worse) planted firmly between my eyeballs. I'd chalk my experience up to good luck and not test the theory of fighting a mighty military and losing. It could be worse next time. But then again, your comments shouldn't surprise me. Terrorists and liberals have always shared the same rationale - TEAR DOWN THE EVIL USA! Idiocy.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Personally, I'd be happy that I didn't get the slug of an M-16 (or worse) planted firmly between my eyeballs. I'd chalk my experience up to good luck and not test the theory of fighting a mighty military and losing. It could be worse next time. But then again, your comments shouldn't surprise me. Terrorists and liberals have always shared the same rationale - TEAR DOWN THE EVIL USA! Idiocy.

But I'm not a liberal. I'm more of an anarchist.

I AM suggesting we put them on trial, not just randomly set them free. But they shouldn't have been abducted, er, I mean, apprehended, in the first place. They weren't FOUND on U.S. soil, after all.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Besides, I was thinking more about the legal system in my case. I'd hunt down the judge, the prosecutor, the cops, the so-called witnesses (since I did NOT do it), and take care of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies