Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Illegals have no right to anything in this country. If they starve, so be it, one less illegal to wory about. They don't even have a right to any charity. There used to be more charity when it wasn't the illegals taking it all so that the Americans didn't get any or very much less.
Who said anything about illegals? Not me. I oppose illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Go California!

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Discussed in detail already.

Governor of California plans to completely eliminate welfare

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Try some basic arithmetic and get back to me.
Translation, you dont have $157,000,000 to pay for it, but you expect others to.. The amount is not important, in the event you want to keep thinking that it is..

p.s. your "basic arithmetic" is even wrong because you computed people who
1) Receive welfare, meaning they dont pay into it
2) Those who do not pay taxes
3) The lost jobs because people arent spending their own money
4) The increased taxes needed to maintain the expense
5) The increased expense for added interest on the debt needed to borrow the money before tax revenues are received
etc

Come back when your updated "basic arithmetic" when you learn that those who dont pay, dont get counted..

Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
Quote:
Money that can be had FOR 16 CENTS PER WEEK!

Aren't you the same people who criticize Obama's tax credit of $13 per week as being "insignificant?"

I'd gladly pay an extra 16 cents rather than see poor children go hungry and homeless. Anyone who wouldn't is heartless and has some serious greed and insecurity issues.
I don't want to see children and elderly go hungry but as far as I'm concerned able bodied people that are collecting welfare can starve to death for all I care.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Translation, you dont have $157,000,000 to pay for it, but you expect others to..
I'm willing to pay MY SHARE. What is it that you're not comprehending about that?
Quote:
The amount is not important, in the event you want to keep thinking that it is..
I'm already aware of this. Some people, perhaps you included, just can't stand to see someone get something for nothing (unless they happen to be a trust fund baby).

Quote:
p.s. your "basic arithmetic" is even wrong because you computed people who
1) Receive welfare, meaning they dont pay into it
2) Those who do not pay taxes
3) The lost jobs because people arent spending their own money
4) The increased taxes needed to maintain the expense
5) The increased expense for added interest on the debt needed to borrow the money before tax revenues are received
etc

Come back when your updated "basic arithmetic" when you learn that those who dont pay, dont get counted..
It's an average, dude.

The point is that welfare is not the economic drain that people make it out to be. I've seen people claim that ending welfare will solve our economic problems. Not true, as 16 cents per week illustrates.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
I'm willing to pay MY SHARE. What is it that you're not comprehending about that?
Good. You and all other interested people can do so.

Quote:

I'm already aware of this. Some people, perhaps you included, just can't stand to see someone get something for nothing (unless they happen to be a trust fund baby).
Yep, quite right

Quote:
The point is that welfare is not the economic drain that people make it out to be.
Subjective argument. Cite?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Fantastic.. How much did you write your donation check out for payable to the California government?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:32 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If the Republican Party of California could ease up on issues like same-sex unions, abortion and teaching evolution in schools, I bet they could win a lot more elections in this state. Unfortunately, as in much of the country, the folks who control the Republican Party in California are very conservative and would be loath to moderate their positions.

It's clear that Californians want a lot more fiscal conservatism, but I think they're unwilling to elect leaders who appear to be beholden by the Religious Right. For that reason alone, Democrats have a big advantage here.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm a conservative at heart in respects to size of government, the death penalty, taxation, gun rights and capitalism but I can't stomach the bible thumper aspect of the right.

The republican party needs to get back to what it used to stand for... small government, self reliance, low taxes, tough but fair justice system and a limited influence in our private lives.

More and more I think we need a third party to step up.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I don't want to see children and elderly go hungry but as far as I'm concerned able bodied people that are collecting welfare can starve to death for all I care.
I agree, but we shouldn't "punish" the truly needy because of a few scammers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies