U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,448,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If you really want to know what rights we have, I suggest you read the Constitution of the United States. And the Bill of Rights.
Another cop-out answer. You just toss this stuff out but you can't back anything up, can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 01:14 PM

25,256 posts, read 14,934,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
By allowing the gay community rights, we will here less about it. Everyone will be happy.
During the five months that same-sex marriage was legal in California last year, everything was calm. People were happy, and there were no protests.

For people in California who voted against same-sex marriage in November, I wonder: How were your lives worse during those five months that same-sex marriage was legal? And now that it's illegal, how are your lives better?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
See, that is why marriage is not a "right," because there are restrictions and standards to meet.
Actually, it was a right here in California until people like you took it away. And now you preach about "standards" and how marriage is not a right.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 PM

18,262 posts, read 15,699,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Actually, it was a right here in California until people like you took it away. And now you preach about "standards" and how marriage is not a right.
No, it was never a "right."

Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 PM

12,782 posts, read 8,710,134 times
Quote:
Actually, it was a right here in California until you helped take it away. Thanks, jerk - I mean, Fleet.
It was never a right. The people voted against same sex marriage twice.

The first time the voters passed proposition 22 in 2000 it was passed by the voters and the State judges stepped in and reversed the law. It wasn't until the Judges usurped the authority of the citizens of this state that it went back on the ballot in November 2008 which the people of California said again that they did not want to recognize same sex marriages in this state.

That's what happened in California.

Domestic Partnerships have been legal in this state for quite some time.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
No, it was never a "right."
That's just your one little opinion. The California Supreme Court said that marriage is a right in their decision last year. When it comes to interpreting the state's constitution, I give more authority and credibility to the Supreme Court judges than I do to you. Sorry.

California must guarantee “basic civil right” of marriage - from Pink News - all the latest gay news from the gay community - Pink News

Old 05-23-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Another cop-out answer. You just toss this stuff out but you can't back anything up, can you?
I'm not copping out to anything.
Is it really that difficult for you to do some reading?

Of those I can remember, a U.S. citizen has a right to freedom of speech, to keep and bear arms, protection from unreasonable searches, the right to due process and trial by jury, prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.

Would it really hurt you to read about the rights we have yourself instead of me having to spell it out?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That's just your one little opinion. The California Supreme Court said that marriage is a right in their decision last year. When it comes to interpreting the state's constitution, I give more authority and credibility to the Supreme Court judges than I do to you. Sorry.

California must guarantee “basic civil right” of marriage - from Pink News - all the latest gay news from the gay community - Pink News
That was a ruling... judges legislating from the bench. Federal law does not label marriage as a "right." If it was, couples would not need to file for a marriage license.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It was never a right. The people voted against same sex marriage twice.

The first time the voters passed proposition 22 in 2000 it was passed by the voters and the State judges stepped in and reversed the law. It wasn't until the Judges usurped the authority of the citizens of this state that it went back on the ballot in November 2008 which the people of California said again that they did not want to recognize same sex marriages in this state.

That's what happened in California.
I understand how government works. Maybe you don't. The voters don't have the final word; the courts do. We have a judicial branch of government for a reason. If it weren't for the courts, lots of groups would have been denied rights and privileges in the history of this country.

You can use words like "usurp", but they're meaningless. The judges were doing their job. This is how the system works. Again: The voters do not have the final word!

Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 PM

14,303 posts, read 7,838,973 times
Quote:
That was a ruling... judges legislating from the bench. Federal law does not label marriage as a "right." If it was, couples would not need to file for a marriage license.
State law and federal law are two different things - as are the U.S. Constitution and a state's Constitution. Those are four separate, distinct, and different documents that define what the people's "rights" are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies