Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

I would love to see this fail the Snopes test as I can't believe these people, in America, are being treated this way:

"...after 33 years of sweat and millions of dollars of investment as a Dodge dealer, I got the letter and will be put out of my misery in 3 weeks. I get no compensation. I am left with non-saleable inventory that I still owe full value on to Chrysler Financial. I lose the tenant in the real estate I own. I suffer a likely 1/2 reduction in value of my real estate since there is no other auto dealer in need of a facility. I have used LIFO accounting through the years and will have to recapture the entire reserve this year (i.e. pay $1 million in extra taxes right now). I will have to send approximately 20 employees into the unemployment lines. And I lose my source of income.

The ultimate insult is that the Dodge franchise I have worked and invested to build these past 3 decades is not only confiscated from me but is given at no cost to my crosstown competitor and rival.

It sounds like Russia or Venezuela - doesn't it? I'm proud to be a member of the Obama-nation"

Andy Kaplan
Dominion Dodge
Salem, VA

Emails of the Week - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
All franchisee can have their franchises revoked by the parent company it sucks but that's reality. Most of the dealerships who lost their franchises simply weren't making the grade and only sold as little as five cars per month. Sure, they sold lots of used cars but it isn't like the factory cars about that since they want to move the new stuff.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
That's just business. It has nothing to do with Obama...just poor business decisions, and a horrible product from where most people stand.

Don't be mad that there are Toyotas and Hondas on my driveway. It's my choice to buy what I see fit for me and my family.

Too bad the Big 3 failed miserably. No one to blame but the heads of these businesses. Poor products, planning, and business practices.

If it's any consolation, I hear there are great deals at those franchises. You may want to test your luck and see if you can get a good deal, while supporting the franchise.

I'll stick with my Avalon and Odyssey Touring, thank you.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:26 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Most of their products are actually pretty good. The problem is perception lags reality and people remember the bad cars of 20 years ago and aren't honestly looking at the good cars of today.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:28 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That's just business. It has nothing to do with Obama...just poor business decisions, and a horrible product from where most people stand.

Don't be mad that there are Toyotas and Hondas on my driveway. It's my choice to buy what I see fit for me and my family.

Too bad the Big 3 failed miserably. No one to blame but the heads of these businesses. Poor products, planning, and business practices.

If it's any consolation, I hear there are great deals at those franchises. You may want to test your luck and see if you can get a good deal, while supporting the franchise.

I'll stick with my Avalon and Odyssey Touring, thank you.

UAW! End of story.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Most of their products are actually pretty good. The problem is perception lags reality and people remember the bad cars of 20 years ago and aren't honestly looking at the good cars of today.
Really?

Interesting....
Quote:
The Center for Auto Safety has received five times more oil sludge complaints on Chrysler 2.7L vehicles than other vehicles such as Toyotas.

These defects can be financially and emotionally taxing and also may be physically dangerous as drivers and passengers may be severely injured in car accidents when the engine seizes in traffic.

Oil sludge and engine complaints involve the following Dodge and Chrysler vehicles from 1998 to present:

• Dodge Magnum
  • Dodge Stratus
  • Dodge Intrepid
  • Chrysler 300M
  • Chrysler Sebringv
  • Chrysler LHS
  • Chrysler New Yorker
  • Chrysler Eagle Vision
  • Chrysler Concorde
Source

How should this be perceived?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
UAW! End of story.
The UAW doesn't select product.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
All franchisee can have their franchises revoked by the parent company it sucks but that's reality. Most of the dealerships who lost their franchises simply weren't making the grade and only sold as little as five cars per month. Sure, they sold lots of used cars but it isn't like the factory cars about that since they want to move the new stuff.
As someone who has owned a franchise, and has sued the franchise corporation to their non existance due to "fraud", your only somewhat right. Yes, in each franchise agreement there is rules that the franchises must follow, which would include vehicle sales limits but to comply with the FTC laws. Sure, 5 cars a month is rediculous but many of the franchises loosing their life savings sell more than 5 cars. They are simply cutting some lose thereby increasing the values of the ones left without any such compensation, notice, compliance with FTC regulations etc, and that is illegal and I hope they all band together and sue.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:50 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
UAW! End of story.
UAW's at best a footnote. In case you hadn't noticed, contracts are signed by at least two parties, plenty of guilt to go around. Unions don't bear responsibility for poor design/engineering and management bleeding big $$$ from failing companies.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Big corporations can screw over small business far more efficiently than government ever dreamed. I and my business was also a victim of bigger business machinations so I am very sympathetic with Mr. Kaplan. This is not a deal cooked up by our government or President Obama. It is a deal cooked up by frightened corporate executives willing to hang out small dealers to dry while they take huge amounts of government money. Maybe the money should have been spent protecting the dealers business instead of Chrysler Financial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies