Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
my feelings are that your job is to provide a service and you shouldn't really be concerned with the economic situations of the people you're helping.
bingo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm curious. What about the fathers? Should those not paying child support be forced to undergo vasectomies?

Excellent point. Why not have mandatory vasectomies when a young male is
13 or 14, and their sperm saved? If a couple has a safe home environment and can support children, then IVF could be done. Just imagine all of the testosterone-driven violence that could be avoided, and the vast majority of
children would be planned-for and wanted. Just sayin'.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then the depo won't be like using birth control and so wouldn't be against the religion.
I am quite sure that the Vatican wouldn't see it the way that you do.

I do think there are some people who abuse the system.

But, once again, my beliefs do not include the federal government having that kind of power over anyone. Although our society would be much better off if less children were born to those who can't care properly for them...it isn't a sacrifice I'd want my country to make.

My concern would be that it wouldn't stop with the "shot".

Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
BIG DEAL! I have been a Nurse Practitioner for several years specializing in Emergency Medicine. I was an RN for 11 years before that-all in Critcal Care areas and in the ER. I was in education before switching careers. I'm not going to exchange 'I saved more lives than you' because I would win.
My recommendation that you get out of nursing is based on your judgemental statements. I have had the misfortune to care for people who were triaged by judgemental nurses. The care they give a 'welfare mother' is usually sub-par to the care they give someone they think is more deserving of health care. They are usually rude and short with those patients and the nursing assessments are usually inadequate because they assume the patient is lying and undeserving of their care. I document their actions and report them. If their behavior does not change for the better, I refuse to have them work with me. When a patient walks through those ER doors, they are equal. It's not for you to decide who is more deserving of your care. I have had my quota of drug seekers and the unisured are not in the majority. I have mothers bringing in their children with 'fevers' from all socio-economic stations in life. FYI, a fever can be an indicator of a serious illness.
If you have a problem with 'welfare' patients, you need to get out of nursing. The cost of insurance has resulted in many people, not just those on welfare, not being able to afford preventative health care with the end result being the ER is where they go for primary care. The ER should not be used as a primary care clinic but until health insurance is made more affordable for all that's where we're at.
As a former nurse, I applaud your post. I also concur with your observations. So good that it bore repeating!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM

530 posts, read 650,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
bingo!!!
Like I said before, I put a smile on my face and do my job! I have been given many awards for my service and the care I give my pts, it might even behove you to know that I hold free clinics. I also am a ACNP in the ER, and you can't say you haven't seen the same. Attacking my personal character isn't what we are here for, it's to discuss a social issue that effects all of us. So let's try sticking to the OP.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Like I said before, I put a smile on my face and do my job! I have been given many awards for my service and the care I give my pts, it might even behove you to know that I hold free clinics. I also am a ACNP in the ER, and you can't say you haven't seen the same. Attacking my personal character isn't what we are here for, it's to discuss a social issue that effects all of us. So let's try sticking to the OP.

Why not...you were attacking the character of your patients.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Attacking my personal character isn't what we are here for, it's to discuss a social issue that effects all of us. So let's try sticking to the OP.
Do let's, now that we're finished attacking the presumed personal characters of patients and other posters and feel all mellow and satisfied

Old 05-24-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Why not...you were attacking the character of your patients.
No I'm simply pointing out my experience! This is a simple obersvation. I just think that alot of times we chose our situation in life ( not all do). I simply don't think that the government( or tax payers) should continue to pay for these people. In any other country in the world if you dont work, you dont eat! I understand being poor, but my view was that these poor people seem to have a lot of luxuries and if they are getting public assistance, you and I are paying for them!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
No I'm simply pointing out my experience! This is a simple obersvation. I just think that alot of times we chose our situation in life ( not all do). I simply don't think that the government( or tax payers) should continue to pay for these people. In any other country in the world if you dont work, you dont eat! I understand being poor, but my view was that these poor people seem to have a lot of luxuries and if they are getting public assistance, you and I are paying for them!
That isn't the truth, sorry. Welfare exists in other countries also.

What do you propose be done with "these people"?

I'd rather my tax dollars went so that people in my own country could eat rather than to some illegal war in the Middle East, by the way.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
That isn't the truth, sorry. Welfare exists in other countries also.

What do you propose be done with "these people"?

I'd rather my tax dollars went so that people in my own country could eat rather than to some illegal war in the Middle East, by the way.
Who wouldn't. I'd rather the money be spent on education, healthcare reform, shelters, our disabled veterns and the enviroment. I don't propose we do anything with "these people". I just propose that everyone on public assistance stop having children for us to support. There has to be an answer and we are still missing the fundemental point that the welfare system wasn't set up for this indefinate support of people. It was ment as a short term helping hand, but as with everything else let the government get a hand in it and look at the results!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies