Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
I guess my question still remains, what is the worse thing you think can happen if we allow gay marriage? And what if any effect does it have on anyone outside the couple getting married?

The sky will fall

The sun won't rise

The moon will crash into the Pacific

RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:18 AM

8,275 posts, read 12,834,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
What are you waiting for? Step up and follow instructions
It depends on which translation is used as to the meaning derived.

"And with a male you shall not lay [in the] lyings of a woman." That is, two men must not engage in sexual behavior on a woman's bed. Presumably, they must go elsewhere to have sex; a woman's bed was sacred and was to be reserved for heterosexual sex.

Furthermore, there were many other prohibitions for the children of Israel,
Ceremonial uncleanliness is caused by contact with a forbidden object or by engaging in a behavior which might be quite acceptable to non-Hebrews, but which was forbidden to the Children of Israel. Eating birds of prey, eating shellfish, cross breeding livestock, picking up sticks on a Saturday, planting a mixture of seeds in a field, and wearing clothing that is a blend of two textiles are examples of acts of ritual impurity which made a Child of Israel unclean. These were not necessarily minor sins; some called for the ancient Israelite to be executed or expelled from the tribe.

It is curious how non-Jews always want to resort to a phraseology they do not understand. Can you explain to me why so many Christians whose faith is founded in the New testament resort to twisting the Old testament to fit their agenda?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,503,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Exactly how does it effect you? That's what no one here seems to want to answer. What detriment does it have on you if two womwn or two men decide to marry? They are going to live and be together anyway. So tell me how this will in anyway empeede your life?
Umm.. I'm going to go with... it's doesn't affect my life for $200.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,467,279 times
Quote:
Originally posted by mississauga75
So it is ok for a couple to be endlessly miserable with eachother in a toxic marriage?
No, mississauga, I think divorce should be legal, but couples should treat it as an absolute last resort. I don't think many couples (christians included) realize just how hard it is to build a good marriage and as a result, give up too early. Obviously there are justifiable reasons for it, (adultery and abuse especially), but in most cases, divorce is a sad lamentable thing that should be avoided.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,617,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Oh, but you should not include all Christians in your claim. I am dead set against divorce, it has been a great contributor to the decline of our society, probably more so that homosexuality. What so many Christians fail to realize is that it matters none what sin you are living in, it is all sin. That is why we all need a savior!
A grown adult can't act responsibly without a savior? That's kind of sad, don't you think?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 AM

530 posts, read 648,976 times
Still waiting for an answer I see. All you professed biggots out there. What do you think is the worst thing would happen if gays were allowed to get married? What effect if any does two gay people getting married have directly on your life?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:21 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,354,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Romans 1:21-27

NETBible: Romans 1
Not relevant when read in context. Paul was writing to the church in Rome about converted Christian gentiles who had reverted back to worshipping pagan fertility gods in temples. This worship included frenzied sex orgies where everyone would have sex with everyone else - both same-sex and opposite sex. These people were normally heterosexual otherwise the verse makes no sense. It has nothing to do with homosexuals, other than some of the ritual orgiastic sex was same-sex. The letter is about the problems the newly formed Roman church had with people reverting to idolatry.

The transliterated Greek phrase φύσιν παρὰ "para physin" or "para phusin" is explained well by Professor John Boswell in his well known work "Christianity Social Tolerance and Homosexuality" (Yale historian, language scholar and one of the most cited scholars on this topic).
You can preview read one of his books here which discusses that particular verse in the original Greek as well as the context in which it was written here:
Christianity, social tolerance, and ... - Google Book Search

and here for the 1 Cor 6 and 1 Tim 1 verses also misused to condemn homosexuals in general.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...um=5#PPA335,M1

Last edited by Ceist; 05-26-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM

207 posts, read 242,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
a man "lying with mankind as he does with a woman" doesnt have to do with homosexuality. Okay.

Nope it sure doesnt....

It was written about a pagan practice where men would dress up in women's attire and pose as the pagan goddess Ashtorah. Then younger men/boys would come and bring gifts in exchange for sex with the goddess Ashtorah. This they believed would bring them luck or a good harvest. The sin being focused on here was not the homosexuality but rather the idolotry....Thus a man laying with a man as with a woman...is about the young men having sex with a man DRESSED as a woman....But alas as usually translation and interpretation problems have warped the meaning of the verse entirely.

Most gay men (other than those who enjoy drag perhaps) don't lay with mankind "as with women"...they lay with mankind...as with MAN.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,231,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I am a bigot. I do not support same-sex marriage, so by the left's warped up logic I must be a bigot. If not supporting this perversion is bigoted, if being a Christian means I am a bigot, if standing up for what I believe to be right makes me a bigot, then so be it.

I want to formally declare the word bigot to be positive. Such a word, when applied to right wingers especially, is an acclamation of intelligence. So bigots unite! I am a bigot and I am proud to be a bigot, because being a bigot is a good, positive thing. Not a bad or negative thing.

If you really want to an example of "warped up logic" you should read your own post.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:09 AM

91 posts, read 314,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"It's those unfortunate people who interpret the bible to support their own agenda who are bigots"

This is the statement to which I was referring.

What specifically do you believe has been misinterpreted?
These two posts sum it up pretty well - AONE, Jaymax.

Sidenote: Sorry it took me so long to respond; I was celebrating Pride in Pensacola Beach where there were at least five rainbows in the sky throughout the weekend. We decided to take those as a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.