Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,332,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm just asking; I haven't seen such blind hatred since the Cold War.
Do you not understand that if a group can justify depriving people of certain rights because they are gay and it be legal then maybe they can do it to a group that I am part of like single Mothers or athiests for example.

I believe in fighting injustice wherever I find it. I also believe in putting out there what I want to get back. I believe all people should be treated equally, no matter their race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.

Thats not too mention the many gay friends I have had over the years who are wonderful people, people I know deserve the same respect and understanding the rest of the us take for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:28 AM

654 posts, read 463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
But this isn't happening. Resources aren't being "taken away from education to support gays". Why do you insist on believing this?
Because I believe in opportunity costs, which is a very valid concept.

Quote:
I think kids can never be too young to be taught tolerance.
Kids are usually taught intolerance.

Quote:
No one is "mandating homosexuality". Please quit deliberately twisting the idea around in such a way that makes it sound unreasonable. Telling children that sometimes people of the opposite sex fall in love and create a couple does not mandate homosexuality.
Do you not understand the English language or logical arguments?

Its hard to tell.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:29 AM

10 posts, read 36,193 times
It's called "Homophobia" - anti-homosexual attitudes, and is defined as "one having irrational fears of homosexuality, the fear of the possibility of homosexuality in oneself, or loathing toward one's own homosexuality". (Berkman & Zinberg 1997).

Reasons?
~ Religious people are more conservative.
~ Homophobia and hate crimes are related to traditional gender role identification (these people tend to have more negative feelings about homosexuality than others).
~ Males claim that homosexuality is a violation of male gender norms, which is the primary reason for their violence (hate crimes). They team up in two or more (to commit the crime) to try to reassure themselves and their friends of their own masculinity by assaulting a man who has "stepped outside the boundries" of the male gender role. (Maurer 1999).

Hope this helps - and by the way - we as individuals won't understand just why another person is gay, especially if we don't even know them. For all we know, they were born male (but had genital defects, it happens), then raised as a female, only to discover that they like girls (or visa versa). Then they find out that they were really biologically born as a boy in the first place. So is "she" really a lesbian? Or should fault lay in the hands of the doctors and the family who decided to "make the change" before they gave the child a chance to discover what they really wanted, what sex they truly were? This actually HAPPENS! The "gay person" that you hate could actually be a victim of circumstance. However, some people are also just "that way". Deal with it. As long as they're good people that's all that matters.

I'm a mom, have seven great kids, and am "straight". However, after studying this kind of stuff, it really opens your eyes. You can't really judge a person after your mind is filled with knowledge. We are who we are, and we should just be happy with ourselves and not judge others because we don't have all the pieces to the puzzle - we don't see "the big picture".

Besides, I'm a big believer in Karma (look it up if you don't know what it is). If someone is a hater to these folks, they better think twice, because in their next life (yes, we have more than one), they may just come back gay themselves so they can learn a good lesson. uh oh!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,320,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
Young children are impartial. It takes age and experience to learn racism and intolerance.

Children should be taught math, science, art, history, English, not intolerance.

I would never come to you school and teach your children since you have an agenda besides education.

Jr High Schools years are a b.itch, but I never support regulating morality, and I would never rely on the state to solve your problems, but I would rely on the community.

You are nothing but a fascist that wants to regulate morality and use state powers to do so.
You accuse me and others of being hostile, but you're the one that sounds really mad.

You don't seem to get it because you erroneously believe that school is just about math, english, etc. You're wrong. School is 50% curriculum and 50% about adolescents and children learning how to become civilized. Every human being has to become socialized in order to be able to have friends and fit into society, and school is mostly where kids learn that. What kids learn as far as what is and what isn't socially acceptable makes a big impact on how they view the world and others as adults, whether you think it should or not. Since since this impact in inevitable, it only makes sense to teach tolerance.

And you're right, it takes age and experience to learn racism and homophobia which is why we should nip it in the bud and teach tolerance before those ugly isms start to grow.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:38 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,441,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Do you not understand that if a group can justify depriving people of certain rights because they are gay and it be legal then maybe they can do it to a group that I am part of like single Mothers or athiests for example.

I believe in fighting injustice wherever I find it. I also believe in putting out there what I want to get back. I believe all people should be treated equally, no matter their race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.

Thats not too mention the many gay friends I have had over the years who are wonderful people, people I know deserve the same respect and understanding the rest of the us take for granted.
You misunderstood my intent; I am gay...I'm trying to figure why they blindly hate me...seem to think they know everything I feel....twist issues into sex or religion...etc.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritOfDragonfly View Post
It's called "Homophobia" - anti-homosexual attitudes, and is defined as "one having irrational fears of homosexuality, the fear of the possibility of homosexuality in oneself, or loathing toward one's own homosexuality". (Berkman & Zinberg 1997).
Those reasons are inaccurate. I support gays, gay rights, gay marriage, and even gay adoption, but I do not support teaching our youth about gayness.

Even though I am strong advocate of gay right, I have been called angry by gay advocates whenever I support an impartial teaching plan.

Gays and their advocates do not respect liberty, nor tolerance. Instead of of education they promote their brand of sexuality, which is not different than the Religious Right.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:40 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,320,537 times
Quote:
Kids are usually taught intolerance.
which is why they should be taught tolerance to counterbalance it.

Quote:
Do you not understand the English language or logical arguments?

Its hard to tell.
yeah, when people start to respond like this, it's usually because they've run out of valid arguments

Quote:
Because I believe in opportunity costs, which is a very valid concept.
OMG, look at me! I use fancy buzzwords but don't explain exactly what I'm talking about and if anyone asks for clarification, I dodge the question by saying others are too stupid or uneducated to understand me.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:42 AM

Teach tolerance and diversity.....I do not think they are teaching sex....why does the discussion keep revolving around it...I do not want kids that age taught sex either...they figure out themselves anyway, like us older people did...lol.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

And thanx for the wonderful people comment...cause we are and you too. If gay people were left in peace we could contribute vastly more to society. Instead we have to expend a good deal of our energy simply defending ourselves from personal attack...verbally and physically...boy don't I know...I grew up in the sixties...

Old 05-23-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
You accuse me and others of being hostile, but you're the one that sounds really mad.
I am mad since you are politicizing sexuality rather than teaching education.

Quote:
You don't seem to get it because you erroneously believe that school is just about math, english, etc. You're wrong. School is 50% curriculum and 50% about adolescents and children learning how to become civilized.
I disagree with your premise that it is a state job to make people more "civilized"

Quote:
Every human being has to become socialized in order to be able to have friends and fit into society, and school is mostly where kids learn that. What kids learn as far as what is and what isn't socially acceptable makes a big impact on how they view the world and others as adults, whether you think it should or not. Since since this impact in inevitable, it only makes sense to teach tolerance.
I don't want to mandate morality, since that it an individual responsibility, not a state responsibility.

If you want to mandate morality, then we should start teaching the Bible in public school, but somehow I believe that you would be against this concept.

So, stop being a hypocrite.

Quote:
And you're right, it takes age and experience to learn racism and homophobia which is why we should nip it in the bud and teach tolerance before those ugly isms start to grow.
Then you should have no problem with voluntary association, but you do. You want to mandate morality.

So, please stop calling yourself a liberal and join the religious right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies