U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:35 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,568,102 times

Advertisements

In relation to this forum; is it more important to use good grammar or proper etiquette ? Some people seem to just lay in wait, hoping to pounce on someone's mistake. Should we make it a he mispelled/she mispelled contest? Or is it better to have conversation...and agree to disagree...and not nit pick and insult people.I am curious how people in the forum feel, on a national level....couldn't we all be a bit more civil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,568,102 times
I should have put this thread in the general U.S. forum.....if a moderator reads this...Do you agree?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:14 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,212,120 times
I think the P&OC forum is appropriate for this, given that this is where we all seem to get so riled up and bicker back and forth. (I'm talking more about insults over things other than poor grammar.)

Etiquitte is more important, though I will say it can be aggravating to read a post that looks like it was written by a 3rd grader.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-23-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,719,355 times
I don't take exception to typos - we all make them. I send messages from my web phone also, which has a small keyboard; I can accept typos.

Grammar errors bother me more. They speak to the intelligence (or lack of intelligence) of the poster. I understand an occasional gaffe, but when a post is completely full of them, I discount the intelligence of the poster, and subsequently the entire post.

There is one frequent poster who claims to have a Masters, but does not know the difference between "there", "their", and "they're". For some reason, it bothers me. Likewise, "lose" and "loose" seems to confuse him as well. I did not attend Harvard or Yale, but managed to learn the basics of good grammar.

To answer you're (ha ha) question, I don't think a simple typo is worthy of nit picking over, but a post full of errors might be worth a jab or too (ha ha).

Old 05-23-2009, 07:26 AM

19,216 posts, read 12,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
In relation to this forum; is it more important to use good grammar or proper etiquette ?
Good grammar IS good etiquette.

It shows respect for the English language.

YouTube - Grammar Lessons from Henry Fool

Old 05-23-2009, 07:42 AM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
The issue of making the forum more civil comes up from time to time. Actually, if the mods simply followed the TOS and deleted posts and issued infractions for personal attacks, and other violations, it would be more civil. I know they can't be on moderating 24/7, and I know the definition of personal attack varies from person to person, but some really blatant stuff is left up, even if someone reports it.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:48 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,719,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The issue of making the forum more civil comes up from time to time. Actually, if the mods simply followed the TOS and deleted posts and issued infractions for personal attacks, and other violations, it would be more civil. I know they can't be on moderating 24/7, and I know the definition of personal attack varies from person to person, but some really blatant stuff is left up, even if someone reports it.

I can assure you from personal experience that they do. They should do it more consistently and more objectively.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 AM

LOL. I can assure you from personal experience that sometimes some very eggregious stuff is reported and not dealth with for days, if at all. I guess that means we need to moderate ourselves a little more. I don't mean calling people out, I mean beign careful what we post.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 AM

19,216 posts, read 12,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would rather hear people's feelings as well as their thoughts.

When feelings are too strong, it usually indicates a lack of coherent or communicable thought.

Language is not always the most effecient way to communicate.

Great art speaks a language which every intelligent person can understand. The people who call themselves modernists today speak a different language.
Marshall McLuhan

Where nature's end of language is declined,
And men talk only to conceal the mind
Edward Young

Good writers are those who keep the language efficient. That is to say, keep it accurate, keep it clear.
Ezra Pound

Bad language is the only thing we have in common with the Osbournes.
Francis Fulford

What language are you talking in now? It appears to be *******s.
Richard Wilson

Language is a wonderful thing. It can be used to express thoughts, to conceal thoughts, but more often, to replace thinking.
Kelly Fordyce

Saddam Hussein also challenged President Bush to a debate. The Butcher of Baghdad vs. the Butcher of the English language.
Jay Leno

Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 AM

A person can express feelings without hurling a personal insult in every post, as some recent posters on this forum have done. There's no need to be snide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies