Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Never before in American history have Christians experienced being hated for following Jesus Christ as they are today.

Here in America the persecution of Christians has not yet reached the feverish pitch as in other parts of the world. There is still a Constitution that protects them and allows them to freely practice their faith. But, broiling beneath the surface, the same hatred of God that exists in other parts of the world is festering in all our institutions. Slowly, methodically, and incrementally the anti-God forces are working to remove that Constitutional barrier.

It is important to recognize that those who are working for the dissolution of our society have a spiritual agenda. They are not merely attempting to dismantle the historic cultural values of this nation and move us toward a homogenized world. They also want to destroy Christianity and Bible-based religion. It is a clear part of their agenda, and they have already moved a long way in that direction.

In America it is called 'secularism' and is becoming visible in all walks of life and in all our institutions. Numerous legislative and legal battles which I'll discuss below attest to the fact that religious warfare is taking place.

War on Christianity
Really, when you copy and paste from another source, you really should put quotes around it or use the quote option. Just adding a link doesn't cut it. Unless someone actually clicks on your link and sees that you've copied and pasted, they would be inclined to believe that you wrote those words. That's deceptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes there is the christian martyr
there is the codependent martyr usually can be identifiied bek they are both kind and angry
and there is the wanabee atheist martyr tirelessly posting on CDF pointing out the flaws of his former church that will not will not rubber stamp his new lifestyle.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:14 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Maybe they read this forum.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:15 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont think real Christians are afraid, or affected by what goes on in the world.
From the Christians I know personally, it seems they are intentionally dumbing themselves down, while believing that that is what they are supposed to be doing.

It's as though they believe that ignorance is not just bliss, but much, much more - that it is God's command, somehow.

Must be that straight and narrow thing.

I look at their position as that of the cave dwellers in the Socrates Parabole of the Cave.

Inside the cave
"Socrates begins his presentation by describing a scenario in which what people take to be real would in fact be an illusion. He asks Glaucon to imagine a cave inhabited by prisoners who have been chained and held immobile since childhood: not only are their arms and legs held in place, but their heads are also fixed, compelled to gaze at a wall in front of them. Behind the prisoners is an enormous fire, and between the fire and the prisoners is a raised walkway, along which people walk carrying things on their heads "including figures of men and animals made of wood, stone and other materials" The prisoners can only watch the shadows cast by the men, not knowing they are shadows. There are also echoes off the wall from the noise produced from the walkway.
Socrates asks if it is not reasonable that the prisoners would take the shadows to be real things and the echoes to be real sounds, not just reflections of reality, since they are all they had ever seen. Wouldn't they praise as clever whoever could best guess which shadow would come next, as someone who understood the nature of the world? And wouldn't the whole of their society depend on the shadows on the wall?"

Allegory of the cave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I don't consider myself a martyr.....but would be honored to be one.

I do find it odd that in a society who proudly proclaims acceptance of so many lifestyles spends so much time attacking Christians. But again....I don't care or mind.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Really, when you copy and paste from another source, you really should put quotes around it or use the quote option. Just adding a link doesn't cut it. Unless someone actually clicks on your link and sees that you've copied and pasted, they would be inclined to believe that you wrote those words. That's deceptive.
thank you for clearing that up for us. There is no question that there is growing hostility towards Christianity in this country, it has been going on for years and will continue, most of us know that, that is what is written ,so it does not come as a surprise as Betsy said , that does not meant that we should just roll over and let it happen. Ephesians 6:12 (King James Version)

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
I'd look at christian history. From Jesus until Emperor Constantine (AD 313) christianity was outlawed and christians were persecuted in Rome. Then suddenly BAM!!! Christians go from being killed to becoming the favored religion. Later they became the official religion. From then until now, Christianity had priviledged status in the West.

I think part of that fear comes from that background. We've never been "tolerated". We've been either vilified or priviledged. Now we are losing our priviledged status in society, which can be both good and bad. Another thing to think about is that Christianity is the most persecuted religion on the planet. There's something about true Jesus-following christianity--even the non fundamentalist variety--that people and governments tend to hate, dislike or fear. Christians are very aware of this and many are afraid of the same thing happening here.

As for me: Except from occaisional comments from Secular Fundamentalists on this forum and elsewhere, I'm not super worried. Most talk about persecution of American Christians is overblown. I mean it won't be like the Sudan, but I fully expect to be looked at as weird, or to be criticized to my face or behind my back because of my faith. Oh well....

Last edited by mackinac81; 05-24-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
thank you for clearing that up for us.
Obviously it didn't take because you didn't correct your post.

Quote:
There is no question that there is growing hostility towards Christianity in this country, it has been going on for years and will continue, most of us know that, that is what is written ,so it does not come as a surprise as Betsy said , that does not meant that we should just roll over and let it happen.
Are you defining people disagreeing with Christian teachings, people not wanting Christian teachings in schools or other public venues and people not wanting Christianity imposed on them as "hostility"? And "hatred"?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Obviously it didn't take because you didn't correct your post.

Are you defining people disagreeing with Christian teachings, people not wanting Christian teachings in schools or other public venues and people not wanting Christianity imposed on them as "hostility"? And "hatred"?
Indeed , those are just a few of the examples of what we are talking about. Look lets be real here, you have a percentage of the population that votes for one political party, that mocks, denigrates and engages in open bigotry of Christians that make up a large percentage of the opposition party. Bigotry towards Christians is the only politically correct form of bigotry in this country.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed , those are just a few of the examples of what we are talking about.
And you don't think that people who aren't Christian have a right to live their lives without, what they might consider to be, the yoke of Christianity around their necks? Do you think that this might be the reason for hostility, and that perhaps this is justified?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies