Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I think its perfectly logical. Europe is experiencing a problem with low population replacement. Any species or culture that does not reproduce itself and pass on its knowledge to its offspring becomes extinct. But I guess natural selection is not logical.

I am well aware that the gay community want to have their relationships recognized so I feel civil unions are a compromise.
By denying same sex marriage do you think gays will choose to marry and procreate? BTW, many gays procreate. This has nothing to do with the logic of natural selection, this is about denying marriage -- but allowing civil unions -- to gays because we need more children. It is you that isn't logical, not natural selection.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Idealogy shouldn't control politics. Just like a trial you should hear both sides and then make a choice.The problem is that the conservative party is the party of Anti-choice in all respects instead of being open to possibilities.
I don't think it does here. I could name you a dozen liberal posters here who would gladly vote for someone other than Obama in a primary election because he doesn't have the character to stand up for civil liberties and the Rule of Law. Plenty of us have started thread critical of Democrats for caving into lawlessness.

Now that caving in may look good to centrists...because that's all that matters to them....that Democrats cave to radical minority GOP demands....like agreeing to not enforce our laws and "just move forward"....LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 07:41 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally posted by padcrasher
Hmmm? Centrism for the sake of centrism. It's not possible that one Party could be largely correct and the other party to be batt sht crazy???....No, to think that would be "partisan".

Let's not worry ourselves with the issues....let's just take the two differing sides (because they are both equally correct according to "reasonable" people) and split the difference down the middle....that's what the "wise, levelheaded" people do....LOL

I'm sorrry. Show me a person that talks about how wonderful centrism is in America and I'll show you a person who doesn't know the issues, nor do they have a grasp of the princples on which this Country was founded on.
Centrists care about issues--they just don't take it to crazy extremes. They're more pragmatic. I'd rather choose between the "center left" and "center right" than between "far left" and "far right" That's all I'm saying.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
By denying same sex marriage do you think gays will choose to marry and procreate? BTW, many gays procreate. This has nothing to do with the logic of natural selection, this is about denying marriage -- but allowing civil unions -- to gays because we need more children. It is you that isn't logical, not natural selection.
A society needs ideals, standards, expectations to live up to. As the flawed, imperfect beings we are we often fail to meet them but its far worse not to have any standard and adopt an anything goes philosophy. We need strong families with strong fathers and mothers that work together to serve as examples for young boys and girls. With a 40% single parenthood, high divorce rate the family is already on shaky foundations. The family is the backbone of any society and a shaky backbone, foundation leads to a shaky, flimsy nation.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Centrists care about issues--they just don't take it to crazy extremes. They're more pragmatic. I'd rather choose between the "center left" and "center right" than between "far left" and "far right" That's all I'm saying.
What then would be a "far left" stance on an issue that Democrats will push that just flies in the face of American public opinion??

I can't name one.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
I'm not talking about parties--I'm talking ideologies. Democrats are "center left" in the truest sense of the word. And it's true that they have won the center. Republicans are a "center right" party that's been hijacked by neocon nutcases--which at the moment makes them extreme--hence why no one's voting for them. Most Americans aren't extreme either way. They're pragmatic, and that's a good thing.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm not talking about parties--I'm talking ideologies. Democrats are "center left" in the truest sense of the word. And it's true that they have won the center. Republicans are a "center right" party that's been hijacked by neocon nutcases--which at the moment makes them extreme--hence why no one's voting for them. Most Americans aren't extreme either way. They're pragmatic, and that's a good thing.
Agreed.

IMO liberals like myself only make up about 2O% the Democratic Party. We do not have much control of it. Hence we get Obama, and Reid, and Pelosi. Spinless triangulators not guided by principles much less liberal principles. . On the other hand, I doubt the GOP has 5% real conservatives. They've died off, become independents, or Libertarians. What you have is authoritarians with no respect for the law or the Constitution. They are only concerned with regaining power no matter how they do it.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Agreed.

IMO liberals like myself only make up about 2O% the Democratic Party. We do not have much control of it. Hence we get Obama, and Reid, and Pelosi. Spinless triangulators not guided by principles much less liberal principles. . On the other hand, I doubt the GOP has 5% real conservatives. They've died off, become independents, or Libertarians. What you have is authoritarians with no respect for the law or the Constitution. They are only concerned with regaining power no matter how they do it.
To be honest, I was not an Obama supporter until the last minute. I had more of an affinity with Kuchinich and John Edwards because I felt they would tackle more domestic issues facing the middle and working class. I really wanted Wesley Clark to run this time around especially with his ACTUAL war and combat experience. But I have grown to appreciation for Obama over the past few months.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
A society needs ideals, standards, expectations to live up to. As the flawed, imperfect beings we are we often fail to meet them but its far worse not to have any standard and adopt an anything goes philosophy. We need strong families with strong fathers and mothers that work together to serve as examples for young boys and girls. With a 40% single parenthood, high divorce rate the family is already on shaky foundations. The family is the backbone of any society and a shaky backbone, foundation leads to a shaky, flimsy nation.
So your logical decision is to prevent gays from marrying -- but not from civil unions -- even considering that many of these people have children? Do you think that not being allowed to marry will keep gays from becoming parents? It's not working that way so far. And funny how your way to strengthen hetero marriages is to prevent gay marriage. How's that worked so far?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
So your logical decision is to prevent gays from marrying -- but not from civil unions -- even considering that many of these people have children? Do you think that not being allowed to marry will keep gays from becoming parents? It's not working that way so far. And funny how your way to strengthen hetero marriages is to prevent gay marriage. How's that worked so far?
If a gay couple wants to have certain legal recognition for their relationship then I feel civil unions are the answer PLUS any things like inheritance for children that may not be covered by civil unions, could be by having a will written up. Civil unions along with a will covers most if not all the benefits regular marriage does. Hell it might even have more benefits than common law families do.

Can you name me one wealthy and prosperous nation/empire in history that saw homosexual marriage on the same level as marriage between men and women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies