Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:29 PM

130 posts, read 743,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
"how's it goin eh?"

This thread fails completely on several levels
to wit:

1. Mentioning a Michael Moore movie.

2.Mentioning France

3. Mentioning Canada

4.Mentioning Obama

In my opinion that qualifies this for the worst post ever. Folks if you can't afford your Health care than find a better job. This is America and it was designed with the principles of freedom and liberty and the pursuit of happiness. No one owes you health care and this is not a nation of entitlements.

http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress....democrats1.jpg
ummm I can afford my health insurance. do not assume that I cannot just because of a post. i just think that US has become all about money and forgot to take care of it's people. ALSO maybe your mother, brother, niece, daughter, etc. sometime down the line might not afford it. College kids etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
ummm I can afford my health insurance. do not assume that I cannot just because of a post. i just think that US has become all about money and forgot to take care of it's people. ALSO maybe your mother, brother, niece, daughter, etc. sometime down the line might not afford it. College kids etc.
Perhaps you may be happier in Cuba. America is about capitalism , democracy, and independence to succeed. It isn't about entitlements to the people. Your in the wrong country.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 AM

130 posts, read 743,344 times
Hey I don't work but my fiance supports his family. I go to school right now so that when I am done I can better myself and make sure I have a job with benefits but it doesn't matter anyway because I would be covered under my hubby's insurance. But when everything else is going up in price including the right to see a DR. I just wonder if we would be better of in a universal health care system.

I have a brother who needs surgery on his leg but he cant have health insurance because he is in college and doesn't qualify to be on his mothers, he works already to support himself and his schooling and can't afford the surgery. What happends when he dies or becomes disabled at 23 because he can't get a surgery he needs? I think about these ppl... the ppl who try to do good and end up getting the sh end of the stick because everyone is so worried about themselves. I don't like freeloading ppl that are on welfare but we still pay for it. And the surgery is for his leg he tore all the cartilage out of his knee. He can't walk right and can't sit a certain way. Imagine being 23 and not being able to walk normal, or run. etc.

You talk all this crap now about it but if it would ever happen to you or a family member then you would def be talking a diff talk.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
the biggest COST is the FACT that we USE insurance anyway

INSURANCE is just that ASURANCE against something drastic

everyone, yes EVERYONE has health care....just open up the yellow pages and look up a doctor, and go

just remember the doctor is providing a SERVICE, so you should pay for that service as it is rendered

insurance should be for the big things, not a simple cold, or hang nail

some examples could be............

do you call your homeowners insurance to ask them to pay for you changing the color of your dining room?.....or do you call them for something big like a tree fall on your roof????

do you call your car insurace company because you need tires.....or do you call them because there was a devistating accident

people FAIL TO REALIZE that insurance is not health care...a doctor is

that right there would cut the costs in half

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM

326 posts, read 429,806 times
Half of Bankruptcy due to Medical Bills:

Half of Bankruptcy Due to Medical Bills -- U.S. Study

[SIZE=2]"Our study is frightening. Unless you're Bill Gates you're just one serious illness away from bankruptcy," said Dr. David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who led the study.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"Most of the medically bankrupt were average Americans who happened to get sick. Health insurance offered little protection."
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"Among those whose illnesses led to bankruptcy, out-of-pocket costs averaged $11,854 since the start of illness; 75.7 percent had insurance at the onset of illness."
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Yep. We have a system that works all-right. We don't want government involved with this well-oiled machine.
[/SIZE]

Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post

You talk all this crap now about it but if it would ever happen to you or a family member then you would def be talking a diff talk.
LOL, no many Americans wouldn't. Too many real Americans can and always have supported ourselves.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Next time you think you have a safe job, read this: http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~achandr/...miums_2006.pdf

A 20% increase in health insurance premiums (smaller than the increase seen in many areas in the past 3 years) would reduce the probability of being employed by 2.4 percentage points—the equivalent of approximately 3.5 million workers.

You think your employer pays for your health insurance? Read this:

We find that the cost of increasing health insurance premiums is borne
primarily by workers in the form of decreased wages for workers with
EHI—so that they bear the full cost of the premium increase.

Nope, there is no free lunch out there. While millions of employers are struggling, wages stay stagnant, people are losing jobs due to increase in health care costs, insurance companies and drug industry are making a killing. Yep, I guess it comes with being a free country. Free to get away with whatever you want if you have the power.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,207 times
The question at hand is: "Is Health Care a Right or a Privilege". The linked article below takes a good cut at the question. I have to agree with the author.

Is health care a right or a privilege? - Health Policy | Physician Executive | Find Articles at BNET

Our current healthcare system is based on a premise no longer valid. Health Insurance was created as a safety net for all, only to be used by some, and only when medical needs were extraordinary, costs were very low. It has evolved into a subsidy for anything and everything remotely associated with the medical field in which everyone is a beneficiary.

The foundation of any insurance industry is that some will pay in to the fund without needing returns, allowing those requiring the benefits to receive benefits above what they contributed. In today's healthcare system, everyone is a beneficiary, how can we continue on this course?

And yes, Health Care is a right that needs to be championed by any civilized society. I am no liberal, but some principles are absolute.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL, no many Americans wouldn't. Too many real Americans can and always have supported ourselves.
"Real Americans"??

Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
"Real Americans"??
I guess he meant natives. I don't agree with his point though. They do have Indian Health Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies