Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Oh you must think I'm a female,you mean 1630 and you never heard of Mary Phagan.You might want to google it and learn a little history
You want to cross dress it's OK with me, but you haven't told us when and under what conditions of imprisonment your ancestors arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
No, I'm just taking shots at you because it's so easy. I'm not arguing about anything.
Then you sure need to work on your markmanship, because so far you haven't hit diddly-squat.

Quote:
The only point is that Confederate States of America soldiers did not serve the United States of America. There really is nothing to debate.
No, your original point was that those who served the CSA were not American troops. Here is your quote:

They were not American troops. That's who we are suppose to honor on Memorial Day.

My statement was that they were, and that Memorial Day is today one set aside to honor all American troops who served in all wars. Including Confederate.

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's your reading comprehension issue. You were either reading into my posts what you wanted to hear so you could start what I'm going to guess is one of your regular arguments about the Civil War or you were mixing up my posts with someone else.
You couldn't make your case when challenged -- nor refute any counter-points -- so you decided to steer the discussion into a ditch.

Quote:
1. It was not slanderous by any definition of the word.
2. I never implied, you inferred. (That's called "reading into" something.)
3. I never said they were not Americans. I said they were not United States of America military, the people who are to be honored on Memorial Day.
1. To say the Southern soldiers were not American troops (which you clearly did) is slanderous in the sense of being a false and malicious statement.
2. I am going by your own words. See below:
3. Again, you said: They were not American troops. That's who we are suppose to honor on Memorial Day. I was the one who -- in reply -- said they were not United States troops (although it makes no difference in this context). That is there for the record as well.

Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious they were USAns before the war, they were USAns after the war, but during the war, they served our enemy. You can't succeed from a counrty and then claim you are served in that country's military when your new country goes to war against that country.
What is "succeed"? Do you mean "secede"? Regardless, I don't know how many times it has to be repeated, but you are just switching your position to suit. Anyway, who was it that claimed the Confederate soldiers served in the United States military (i.e. United States being those northern states which kept the name only by default)? Where are you plucking that from?

You said they were not American troops. If you forget so easily, then go back and read your own junk. In any event, my position (and yeah, other issues related to the WBTS will figure into it), was that Memorial Day is intended to honor all American soldiers in all wars. Including those who fought for the Confederacy.

Quote:
And you can twist things and blow smoke, try to change the topic all you want, it doesn't change any of that.
Talk in circles all you want. In your situation, I don't blame you.

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-26-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM

646 posts, read 801,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You want to cross dress it's OK with me, but you haven't told us when and under what conditions of imprisonment your ancestors arrived.
Is that the best you can do? Alvin york,George Patton both had relatives who fought for the southern cause,I guess they had no right to honor their ancestors either.I'm not asking you to place a confederate flag on a grave,or to honor one of our brothers.I will mail you a big confederate flag if you would like to though

Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM

That is funny TexasReb

Old 05-26-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Is that the best you can do? Alvin york,George Patton both had relatives who fought for the southern cause,I guess they had no right to honor their ancestors either.I'm not asking you to place a confederate flag on a grave,or to honor one of our brothers.I will mail you a big confederate flag if you would like to though
There's forgiveness of those who fought for the South and repented their deed, but there is no honor in their actions.

Mail me a flag, I always need cloth I can cut up for shop rags. Somebody from one of the whacked out Confederate societies wanted to change out a GG grandfather's headstones to a CSA headstone. The family, politely declined and also requested that the society not grace us by the placement of miniature Confederate Battle Flags at the grave during Confederate Decoration Day. Poor GG grandfather, he beat feet from Germany to avoid fighting in stupid wars, and landed in the South just in time to get conscripted by the Confederacy.

You dropped that "how long has your family been in the country" inquiry pretty fast. LOL crawled way out on a limb didn't you. About a half dozen people cut it off.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then you sure need to work on your markmanship, because so far you haven't hit diddly-squat.

No, your original point was that those who served the CSA were not American troops. Here is your quote:

They were not American troops. That's who we are suppose to honor on Memorial Day.

My statement was that they were, and that Memorial Day is today one set aside to honor all American troops who served in all wars. Including Confederate.

You couldn't make your case when challenged -- nor refute any counter-points -- so you decided to steer the discussion into a ditch.

1. To say the Southern soldiers were not American troops (which you clearly did) is slanderous in the sense of being a false and malicious statement.
2. I am going by your own words. See below:
3. Again, you said: They were not American troops. That's who we are suppose to honor on Memorial Day. I was the one who -- in reply -- said they were not United States troops (although it makes no difference in this context). That is there for the record as well.

What is "succeed"? Do you mean "secede"? Regardless, I don't know how many times it has to be repeated, but you are just switching your position to suit. Anyway, who was it that claimed the Confederate soldiers served in the United States military (i.e. United States being those northern states which kept the name only by default)? Where are you plucking that from?

You said they were not American troops. If you forget so easily, then go back and read your own junk. In any event, my position (and yeah, other issues related to the WBTS will figure into it), was that Memorial Day is intended to honor all American soldiers in all wars. Including those who fought for the Confederacy.

Talk in circles all you want. In your situation, I don't blame you.
We don't honor "Americans" on Memorial Day. The poster used a colloquial term to refer to those who live in the United States of America. We honor the men and women who fought and died for the United States of America -- no Canadians, Mexicans, Bolivians, Brazilians, or Confederates.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
We don't honor "Americans" on Memorial Day. The poster used a colloquial term to refer to those who live in the United States of America. We honor the men and women who fought and died for the United States of America -- no Canadians, Mexicans, Bolivians, Brazilians, or Confederates.

No, we -- in the United States of America today -- honor American soldiers (a colloquial term which has traditionally included those who served the Confederate States of America, and such was never disputed during the day and age) who served in all the nations wars. Simple as that. The roots of Memorial Day are of honoring veterans of the War Between the States, and in many places this included each side paying honor to the other. I don't know why some have a problem with that. It continues today in another form since Memorial Day became a federal holiday...and should. If you don't want to honor the Confederate dead, then don't. But don't make "we" synonymous with you and those who feel the same as you. Many others feel different...

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-26-2009 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
No, we -- in the United States of America today -- honor American soldiers who served in all the nations wars. Simple as that. The roots of Memorial Day are of honoring veterans of the War Between the States, and in many places this included each side paying honor to the other. I don't know why some have a problem with that. It continues today in another form since Memorial Day became a federal holiday...and should. If you don't want to honor the Confederate dead, then don't. But don't make "we" synonymous with you and those who feel the same as you.
Look up your own Texas history. Confederate Memorial Day is April 26th.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Look up your own Texas history. Confederate Memorial Day is April 26th.
Sounds like you are the one who needs to look it up if you are trying to make a point. As it is, Confederate Memorial Day falls on different days in different states (in Texas it is on January 19, not April 26th, and is called Confederate Heroes Day).

But the fact that many of the Southern states have a seperate day to honor the Confederate dead has nothing to do with that the federal holiday now known as Memorial Day and recognized by all 50 states was officially intended to honor all the fallen American servicemen of all wars. And there is no question this has traditionally included Confederates as well.

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-26-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 AM

Hey rlchurch, maybe you have heard of the Mexican-American war.If not it was fought in the 1840's between mexico and the us.Stonewall Jackson,Robert E. Lee, and many southerners went to west point and fought in this war.This alone is reason enough to honor these men,lost that one don't you think.Since you must know 1730's virginia moved south thank god
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies