Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Well, if I didnt just get treated to some surreal, Orwellian double speak on FOX. During the running of America's favorite advertising spectacle, NASCAR, the boys in the booth gave forth atribute to the military and her veterans that was a true "war is peace, slavery is freedom" testament to American foreign policy.

In what is now standard practice and used so often, and for over 6 years running, thats its familiar to us all: Hide behind the sacrifices of American servicemen and women and then remind us that their foreign excursions are to "keep the peace" and "keep us safe" (no offense to D.W. or Mike Joy, but you both are who delivered the message in these terms).

Thanks FOX for reminding me that Republicans sending the military into shi_ _y war zones of their own making is what I'm supposed to support. I dont think so. No one on that network dares question the mistakes of the past 8 years, either.

In all their tributes today I have yet to see FOX recognize all those killed and wounded, either. Just like its some kind of ultimate sporting event or something, a reality show across the ocean

yay. could be that some of the stuff they're saying is actually true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 02:02 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
yay. could be that some of the stuff they're saying is actually true.
I dont deny that. Alot of it is. But it's dripping with jingoism. None of this "wars are terrible things that should never be fought, as civilians are the ones who die proportionately 3 to 1, sometimes 5 to 1, more than combatants. In Iraq the ratio is probably 20 to 1"

Thats the kind of honesty that is verboten on FOX. Instead its pure militaristic "honor" and "tribute" to, what they described, as a "struggle for peace and freedom around the world" (Joy's exact words) Thats not what happened under Bush and the neocons. And it's surely not only FOX who stands accused in this respect of fleeing from the truth. All the networks share in this guilt.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Well, if I didnt just get treated to some surreal, Orwellian double speak on FOX. During the running of America's favorite advertising spectacle, NASCAR, the boys in the booth gave forth atribute to the military and her veterans that was a true "war is peace, slavery is freedom" testament to American foreign policy.

In what is now standard practice and used so often, and for over 6 years running, thats its familiar to us all: Hide behind the sacrifices of American servicemen and women and then remind us that their foreign excursions are to "keep the peace" and "keep us safe" (no offense to D.W. or Mike Joy, but you both are who delivered the message in these terms).

Thanks FOX for reminding me that Republicans sending the military into shi_ _y war zones of their own making is what I'm supposed to support. I dont think so. No one on that network dares question the mistakes of the past 8 years, either.

In all their tributes today I have yet to see FOX recognize all those killed and wounded, either. Just like its some kind of ultimate sporting event or something, a reality show across the ocean
You'd rather everyone ignore the sacrifices our soldiers make, or maybe they make a protest of the war during the NASCAR race, or start counting the dead bodies?

Go plant a "No blood for oil" sign in your yard and feel better about your self image.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You'd rather everyone ignore the sacrifices our soldiers make, or maybe they make a protest of the war during the NASCAR race, or start counting the dead bodies?

Go plant a "No blood for oil" sign in your yard and feel better about your self image.

You dont make any sense. But I hope you got it off your chest

Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
You dont make any sense. But I hope you got it off your chest
I tried to make sense of your rambling tirade against Fox and your opposition to the war, so maybe I misunderstood your post, which is why mine makes no sense to you?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I tried to make sense of your rambling tirade against Fox and your opposition to the war, so maybe I misunderstood your post, which is why mine makes no sense to you?
If that makes you happy, sure.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:54 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
Default LA Dodgers.

No,I did not post here by mistake instead of the baseball forum.If any of you have happened to catch a Dodger game this year,you may have noticied a patriotic gesture.During the 7th inning stretch each home game the Dodgers have a guest singer that sings "God Bless America".This song,written by Irving Berlin and made famous just before and during World War ll by Kate Smith,is unabashedly patriotic,and,jingoistic.There is a very active recent thread where all you lefties have posted your favorite Communist anti-war songs,so this must really offend you.You "secular progressives" cant stand any reference to God or open patriotism can you?Tough,go protest to the Dodgers.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:20 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
No,I did not post here by mistake instead of the baseball forum.If any of you have happened to catch a Dodger game this year,you may have noticied a patriotic gesture.During the 7th inning stretch each home game the Dodgers have a guest singer that sings "God Bless America".This song,written by Irving Berlin and made famous just before and during World War ll by Kate Smith,is unabashedly patriotic,and,jingoistic.There is a very active recent thread where all you lefties have posted your favorite Communist anti-war songs,so this must really offend you.You "secular progressives" cant stand any reference to God or open patriotism can you?Tough,go protest to the Dodgers.
Stop it! You're making baseball sound bad, and I used to really love that game before it became so corporatized.

Al Kaline and Yogi Berra were my favorite players, and they were real people who enjoyed sport.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Its way too early ;no body even knew the name Obama at this point in the last race. Hillary was a sho-in for the nomination.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
1.3 million Americans have made the supreme sacrifice since 1775.Most members of our Armed Forces,past and present,tend to be conservatives.Liberals that enter the Service often do so out of ulterior motives,or have to be dragged in kicking and screaming.They then spend their time in bitchin and screwing up.The majority of vets rejected Obama and voted for someone else.When liberals cease scoffing and sneering at patriotism and stop their blame America first attitude towards national defense,then I will reconsider changing my position as to which ideology is patriotic and which is not.
Don't you see the danger of politicizing the US armed forces? If you deem the army to be republican and conservative then its not my (our) army anymore. I don't think a conservative/republican army is what you want, or do you? Even if it is true that liberals are a minority (I don't know the statistical figures), it is in your interest to play it down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies